SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#156971 - 01/10/00 02:48 PM Solton X1 or Yamaha 9000
Valere Offline

Loc: Belgie
Hello everybody

I want to buy another keyboard. Momentley I had a Yamaha PRS 8000.
I doubt between Yamaha PRS 9000 and Solton X1.
I like de styles from Solton X1 (very good).
Today I try de PRS 9000 , he had very good sounds en a very good musicdatabase.
What should y choose?

Sorry for the bad English

Valere
Belgie

#156972 - 01/10/00 04:31 PM Re: Solton X1 or Yamaha 9000
Jer Offline

Loc: Delay Beach Florida
Belgie;

Most of the new keyboards will make players happy with the music they make.

I have never p[layed the PSR 9000 - but I owned about 6 or 7 Yamaha keyboards - and Roland - and Technics - and the Solton X1.

Frankly - I enjoyed them all - while I owned them.

One of the biggest problems with keyboards is that the novelty of the arrangements wears out after a while - not on your audience - but on the player.

The X1 has some fine arrangements as do the other keyboards.One thing that I must say - is that the X1 - is not exactly a light weight keyboard - but I understand that the PSR 9000 is considerably heavier - If you need to move it around - that may be something - to look at.

Jerry

#156973 - 01/11/00 12:34 AM Re: Solton X1 or Yamaha 9000
DannyUK Offline

Valere,

Hi. Well I can see that the PSR9000 and X1 will be the major topic for the first half of this year at least. There are just so many people out there who want comparisons of these keyboards, and straight away these 2 keyboards get mentioned first (which are also the 2 most expensive ones as well and similar priced!).

Your post was very brief, however from the gist of it I take it you like styles? If this is going to be a major factor for your preference, I would go for the Solton X1, it has superior styles to anything out there at the moment (i dont think anybody can argue with this - even PSR9000 owners).

You say you already have the PSR8000, I would say by getting the PSR9000 you may see some resemblences with regards to sounds and styles to which you may feel a little 'hard done by' - no fault of anybody just the way it is with every upgrade. If you want something totally different, get the X1, but if you want more of the same with improved sounds and styles with also optional extras over the PSR8000 then get the PSR9000.

Whatever you chose, you will not be dissapointed.

Danny (UK)

#156974 - 01/11/00 12:55 AM Re: Solton X1 or Yamaha 9000
Marek Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello Valere,

I had the same problem as you: I wanted to buy a professional keyboard and could not decide between Solton X1 and Yamaha PSR 9000. I played both keyboard very long and then bought the PSR 9000.
I will not repeat, what has been already written in this forum, you can find here many reviews and comments to both keyboards. I can tell you, that it is the same, which keyboard you will choose. They both are the best keyboards now, with many great features, e.g. I liked the styles of the X1 much more than the PSR 9000's ones. But short time ago I experienced, that there exists a software called EMS Styles Works, which will be able to convert the X1 styles into the PSR 9000 format. So I can buy these converted X1's styles (and I will do it) and have them on my PSR 9000.

The PSR 9000 has many drawbacks now. The keyboard is as hardware complete, but the software (the operating system) has many errors. I wrote about three problems some weeks ago in this forum. In the meantime I found a few other mistakes. I spoke with PSR 9000's hotline man and he told me, that in March/April 2000 a new version of the operating system will come out, which will be quite different and considerable better than the old one (Yamaha will even write a new user manual, because of many additional features, which will come with the new version).

It is now up to you, what keyboard you will choose. But think, that the PSR 9000 will be rather improved in a few months.

Good luck

Marek

#156975 - 01/11/00 09:21 AM Re: Solton X1 or Yamaha 9000
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Marek, please let us know about your experience playing the Solton styles on the PSR9000 (when you get to it).

#156976 - 01/12/00 12:01 AM Re: Solton X1 or Yamaha 9000
Marek Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Alex,

I have already played some user styles, that were created on Solton MS 50 and were converted into the PSR 8000 format (only two variations).
There was one mistake in two styles (of ca. 20), that by Moll (Minor) accords the drums did not played. Probably conversion error. Beside this the styles sounded perfectly and I liked them very much.
As I know, the EMS software does not support the X1 and PSR 9000 styles yet, but in a few weeks a new update should come. I am very curious. I will let you know.

Marek

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online