Topic Options
#156933 - 08/19/03 06:34 AM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
You can't put a goblet on a keyboard.
Star

Now I understand the goal of those side placeholders in the Tyros board!

#156934 - 08/19/03 08:30 AM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
What is the difference between being a piano player playing an arrangement in a band and being a piano player playing your own arrangement with an arranger keyboard? I've done both and there is no difference. When I'm playing with the band I'm not pretending to play the bass and drums and I'm not pretending to either when playing an arranger.

Midi files enable we performers to do music that would normally be impossible to do. We only have 2 hands and two feet. I do think that using midi files is very close to doing the "K" thing, but hey whatever it takes.

I can't perform the "electric slide" so why not give the customer a midi or an MP3. The bottom line is to give the customer what they are willing to pay for.

Tom

#156935 - 08/19/03 08:51 AM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I can make as much or more money doing a DJ job with my laptop as playing live. But it ain't no fun.DonM

Yes, a SAD irony isn't it? I turned down several high paying DJ-karaoke style host jobs this summer. Performing 'live music' is much too important to me than to compromise live musicianship to become a CD spinning DJ-karaoke host, no matter what they pay. I'd just as well drive a truck or wait tables. Geez, I hope I don't end up having to 'eat my words' some day. In the meantime, I'm gonna continue to 'have fun' performing live music as long as it lasts. - Scott

#156936 - 08/19/03 11:24 AM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
too important to me than to compromise live musicianship to become a CD spinning DJ-karaoke host, no matter what they pay. I'd just as well drive a truck or wait tables.

As long as I'm entertaining...I'd rather take the DJ route than the waiter routine. I'm still exercizing creativity as I host a party or run a dance floor. I play every chance I get, but when the client requests a prerecorded performance....I'm in baby. I'd rather make the contact than farm the job out to a DJ anyday.

#156937 - 08/19/03 12:44 PM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I'd just as well drive a truck or wait tables. Geez, I hope I don't end up having to 'eat my words' some day.

Ok, is eating one's words allowable on Atkins?

Seriously though, when given the choice between a significantly higher paying DJ or karaoke hosting job and performing 'live' music, I opt for the later, as I don't want to help foster a profession that's contributing to the 'impending death' of live music & appreciation of musicianship. Perhaps this is just naivity on my part, but money isn't everything . . . yet.

- Scott

#156938 - 08/19/03 01:26 PM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I have found a compromise: seems like my wedding clients want something for everyone (who doesn't?) and are often teetering between hiring live music or a DJ. My solution has been to offer to play my regular instrumental stuff for the wedding party and their parents and older guests; and I carry an MP3 player with all the junky-dance stuff for the kids to enjoy during my breaks (from Pink's "Get This Party Started" and Emenem's "Without Me" to The Macarena, Disco Duck, YMCA, The Ketchup Song, etc.). Learned this from some band friends. Everybody's happy...

#156939 - 08/19/03 01:53 PM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Uncle Dave Offline

Been doing that for years. First on Tape, then on MD's, then CD's now...MP3s !

What's next?

#156940 - 08/21/03 11:43 AM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Hey, UD, why not try a thong. stuff a few dollars in the leg bands and they will get the message.

#156941 - 08/21/03 12:15 PM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
Uncle Dave Offline

Oooo, not till Atkins melts quite a bit more off my tummy !
I'm down another 3 lbs this week. Unbelievable....I eat as much as I want, and STILL loose each week. I'm thrilled!

#156942 - 08/21/03 01:13 PM Re: Worth mentioning again...... $?$?$?$?$
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
One piece of info I have to share with everyone regarding Atkins: I too lost weight this year with Atkins and proudly went for my annual physical last week. Good news: my cholesteral did not go up (one Atkins concern). VERY bad news: my blood pressure has skyrocketed since going on Atkins, and I've never had problems with high blood pressure before. The reason is salt. My doctor says he's been seeing a lot of this with Atkins dieters - in our enjoyment of meats and other proteins like bacon, cheeses, nuts etc. we overlook the amount of sodium that we're pouring into our bodies (I've never used table salt - it's the sodium already in the food that's the problem). I was immediately placed on a low-sodium diet. As I look now at the foods I've been eating this year, they are loaded with sodium. Unseasoned hamburger patties and chicken breasts aren't too bad (like around 55 mg each) but a serving of bacon can have over 700 mg. And you have to watch out for things like sauces, especially soy etc. that are sodium-loaded. Atkins just got a little harder to swallow...

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 08-21-2003).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online