SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1564 - 08/22/05 11:18 AM 740 voices
gbricault Offline

Loc: Placida, Florida, USA
I am connected to my Yamaha 740 via Dell Laptop and USB midi cords. Every so often in playing a midi file, some of the voices are not heard...normally it is one or two..or sometimes the voices sound different...like a drum will sound like a bell. I take the same file and put it on disk and play it directly in my 740 and it is fine. Also, if I reboot my laptop, sometimes that will fix the problem for a while.

Any clues?????

#1565 - 08/23/05 10:29 AM Re: 740 voices
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Had a 740 a few years ago. What program are you using on the computer to play back the midifiles ? Are these midifiles that you originally created on the 740 ?

You might also want to pose this q at the General Arranger forum.

AJ

#1566 - 08/23/05 12:36 PM Re: 740 voices
gbricault Offline

I have the problem with midi's from the web. But, again it is only every so often. Seems to happen more often if my computer has not been rebooted for a couple days or so.

Thanks,

Gil

#1567 - 08/23/05 04:15 PM Re: 740 voices
Bluezplayer Offline

Ok, but are you playing the midifiles in the standard Windows Mediaplayer or a different app ? In any case, it sounds to me like the issue is probably on the computer end, perhaps an issue with the usb drivers.

AJ

#1568 - 08/23/05 07:04 PM Re: 740 voices
gbricault Offline

Using sweet midi player..... I agree it is from the computer end. This is my second laptop...and both have had the same issue.

I am now with the USB midi but before that was from the serial port....with the same issues.

Oh welll....probably need a more powerful laptop.

Thanks for your help....Am planning on getting an external sound card with seperate midi in and out....maybe that will resolve my issues.

Thanks again,

Gil

#1569 - 08/23/05 08:32 PM Re: 740 voices
Bluezplayer Offline

I doubt that you need a more powerful laptop, unless you have something pre pentium 2. Midifile play is usually not very taxing on a CPU, unless of course you were using some software synths and effects inside the computer ( doesn't sound like you are though ).

Has this happened only with sweet midi player ? Have you ever tried another app ?

I seem to remember not liking to use the Yamaha drivers that came with XG works software for some reason, ( this was when I had my 740 btw ) although it has been long enough ago that I don't remember exactly why. I do remember preferring to use my SB Live card as the midi interface, thereby eliminating any need for the Yamaha drivers.

I'm not familiar at all with sweet midi player btw. Is it a sequencer, or can you open up individual tracks for view like you would in a sequencer ? One reason I stay away from things like Mediaplayer is that if there is a glitch, there is a petty good likelihood that I won't be able to figure out what is causing it without being able to see individual tracks.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online