SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#156769 - 03/08/05 12:26 PM Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just received my first shipment of G70 keyboards from Roland. As mentioned before, I have been authorized to sell these through the CK division of Roland. For those of you in Southern California, I will be able to sell you a G70 by coming to my store. You will not find the G70 at your local chain store such as Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Dealers have been set up in specific areas to sell in their local communities. If you live in my area, please drop in for a demonstration.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#156770 - 03/08/05 04:56 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
So how is the G70, now that you have them in stock,

Can you do a compare with Ketron,Korg,Yamaha?

Thanks

#156771 - 03/08/05 07:53 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
G Angel Offline

Loc: Ooltewah, Tn.
Hi George
What will be the price here in the US?
Also bad as I want one,I don't guess I will be getting it if Roland is going to tell me where I have to buy it.
So George, are you saying that Zzounds are none of the other dealers on the internet can sell a G 70 to us?

Thanks Gene

#156772 - 03/08/05 09:26 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

only brick and mortar stores that are authorized to sell Roland CK products will have the G70's and Roland has a policy of not selling to customers that do not come into your store. You will not see these products at any of the on line stores.
Now that I've had the keyboard for the whole day and I've played with the EQ curves and effects, I really do like this board. It has a really nice user interface and although the styles might not all be completely changed from the VA line, there are dozens of very tastefully done new styles and I especially liked the Jazz and Big Band styles.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156773 - 03/08/05 11:12 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
to the genesys Offline

George I am glad to hear that you will be selling the G-70. Do you know the weight of that board?

#156774 - 03/09/05 01:40 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
o3bor Offline

It weighs 20.5 kg / 45 lbs. 4 oz.

#156775 - 03/09/05 06:35 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
to the genesys Offline

Waw! I wonder how come the G70 is 45LBS and the Fantom x7 is purported to be 37LBS. Those styles must be really heavy.

#156776 - 03/09/05 06:55 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
It's sure to find in the musicstores webshops here in Norway now, and pretty
expensive as well. Tyros now cost "only" 2/3 of the price of G70.

But how does older styles load and play on G70, anyone tested? Do it read the
stuff from earlier models, or is it nessesary to convert before load?
(As we know, there are quite a lot of nice styles for Roland keyboardseries)
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#156777 - 03/09/05 07:11 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I asked th price for EXR 7 yesterday, in an exclusive Roland shop here in Athens.
About 770 E, cash.
I didn't dare ask the price for the G70, but they say they give a 15-17% off the advertised price, so I guess it is around 2500 Euros.

#156778 - 03/09/05 07:22 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
But how does older styles load and play on G70, anyone tested? Do it read the
stuff from earlier models, or is it nessesary to convert before load?
(As we know, there are quite a lot of nice styles for Roland keyboardseries)
GJ

G-70 can read styles from earlier models without any conversion.
If you want you can easily 'refresh' them with new sounds using Style MakeUp Tools.

#156779 - 03/09/05 08:16 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California

Just checked the "normal" price here, it's approx. N.Kr. 32.000,- who
are approx. € 3800. Pretty low priced, eh?
So maybe a deal will end up around N.Kr. 28.000,- / €3350 if lucky.

Nice to see it handle the styles from ealier models nice. Looks like
I have to move my body into town to see, feel and compare........
GJ

#156780 - 03/09/05 10:34 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Loc: France
Hey Guy, I am new.
The real price I paied for G-70 is the same as the Tyros. 2900 euros in France and not more for a new one! The public price is 3469 euros. Usually the discount is around 15 to 20%. I think that in Europe you can find it under 2800 euros. Let see Germany Music site on the Web.
From Roland, new version of OS will be release in March. I have the version 1.06 that fixed some bugs.

#156781 - 03/09/05 10:44 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

The new keyboards I received here in the USA yesterday are version 1.06
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156782 - 03/09/05 10:55 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm confused about something. Why is it that people can only buy from say George Kaye for example by walking into his store??? Is this Rolands way of keeping the inventory of this unit under control? It almost seems that this practice would discourage sales? I doubt there would even be ANY store in my entire state that would carry this model, and the trip would be hours long just to go see one.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#156783 - 03/09/05 11:09 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Roland France always says that "Internet is good, but go to the store is better." This is what you will see when connecting in!
Personally, I will never (let says twice, never and never) buy it by the web.

#156784 - 03/09/05 01:17 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
tracknet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bbc:
Hey Guy, I am new.
The real price I paied for G-70 is the same as the Tyros. 2900 euros in France and not more for a new one!

It is incredible. G-70 is a more modern kb, has more keys, better built... how may it cost the same as Tyros? If it were Tyros II..., but Tyros 1?

#156785 - 03/09/05 02:20 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Precision, Tyros at 2900 euros is at list price. But I would like to say that Tyros is too much expensive regarding its concurrents. When G-70 is released, Tyros price drop down and in promotion at 2900 euros (without negociating for discount). It could be at 2500 euros!

#156786 - 03/09/05 05:10 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
I'm confused about something. Why is it that people can only buy from say George Kaye for example by walking into his store??? Is this Rolands way of keeping the inventory of this unit under control? It almost seems that this practice would discourage sales? I doubt there would even be ANY store in my entire state that would carry this model, and the trip would be hours long just to go see one.

Squeak

Squeak,
As I understand it. Roland has 2 divisions a "home and pro". It sets up dealers accordingly. A few years back I wanted to check out the VA and my local GC could not get one, yet the GC about an hour away carried them. They could not even do a store transfer so I could play one and the rep would not bring a demo by so I could lay hands on one. Result, I never bought one, I bought the Tyros instead. Go figure.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#156787 - 03/09/05 06:36 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
G Angel Offline

Roland says.
Roland hits a milestone with the introduction of the G-70.

Well I can only find ond dealer in Tennessee
from entering zip codes on Rolands webb site and I must have entered 10 or more.

P>O>

[This message has been edited by G Angel (edited 04-30-2005).]

#156788 - 03/09/05 06:48 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Im sorry but that was a very inaccurate post. Roland didnt create this board for some person to just mess around with at there home. This is an amazing board, and is marketed toward performers who need the "Best" and have the money to do so. It took more than just a couple of Roland newbs to devise such a board. It may not be for you, but i can guarantee there will be more of these boards sold than you think. Imagine, Wersi, Ketron, Bohm and the Korg Oasys. There is obviously a large enough market for several thousand dollar boards.

Look at the number of Tyros users... you see a lot of people with them. The Tyros is a very close competator with a price tag nearly the same (and roughly 200 bucks for tax *edit* thats for 6% yes 9% is more )

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 03-09-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 03-09-2005).]

#156789 - 03/09/05 07:09 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
G Angel Offline

Well Phil.
Maybe you need to read the post again. I was talking about where it can and can't be baught.
Not Who made the board its self.
Figure the tax @ 9% and see for your self.
Than and take a day off from work to go see one if you can find it,and see what that cost you.
And how do you know where I play?

I do play at home now and on the road for more than 5 years.

#156790 - 03/09/05 07:12 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
G Angel Offline

Where did you go Phil?

#156791 - 03/09/05 07:18 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Haha, im right here. I just think that your comments were rude to Roland. They made a board that so many people wanted. Yes, it is exspensive no matter how wealthy, but what can you exspect from a board of this calliber. Yeah, they are hard to find, but not impossible. Im sure George could ship outside of the state if not, i bet others could, and also save your 9% of tax.

Phil

#156792 - 03/09/05 07:30 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
G Angel Offline

Not true with out I know someone in California that can walk in George's store and buy it for me.
In Which case tax would still have to be paid and so would shipping charges to me.
I have received an e mail from George and this was what he told me.

Georges E mail

Gene,
The price for the G70 is $3495.00 and the only way you could buy one from
me is if you know someone in Southern California who could ship the keyboard
to you and they could buy it from me.
You are correct that none of the web stores can sell the G70s.
Regards,
George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566

#156793 - 03/09/05 07:42 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
G Angel Offline

Well Phil:
You had better fight with me while you can my bad mood is going away and soon I will be an Angel again.
HA.HA.

#156794 - 03/09/05 11:15 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

G-70 is assmbled in Italy, designed by worlwide musicians and engineers.

#156795 - 03/09/05 11:49 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
but the end result is dissappointing.... I have had the tyros the , korg pa1X and the g70 next to each other in the same Store in Birmingham England. The korg is a better sounding keyboard without doubt, then comes the Tyros and as for the G70, its sounds were so awash with effects i could not honestly say i wouldbuy it at half the price. Until you hear these instruments next to each other through the same set up you wont appreciate the hinesty in what i have said

#156796 - 03/09/05 11:50 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Price of the G 70 in Italy: 2690 euros

#156797 - 03/09/05 11:51 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

but the end result is dissappointing.... I have had the tyros the korg pa1X and the g70 next to each other in the same Store in Birmingham England. The korg is a better sounding keyboard without doubt, then comes the Tyros and as for the G70, its sounds were so awash with effects i could not honestly say i would buy it at half the price. Until you hear these instruments next to each other through the same set up you wont appreciate the honesty in what i have said

#156798 - 03/10/05 12:23 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
I would back up Spalding here.
You are all going on about the price tag, and some of you actually say it is a great keyboard, but I have played it a number of times at my friend's who has now had it for three months and not once did I get away with the thought that I would like to own one.
doing a comparison out of the box with Yamaha and Korg is useless anyway cause the G70 sounds simply awful out of the box.
I , and many others, have already stated that the amount of tweaking that you will have to do is staggering. It is a bit like a computer with a 500Gigabyte harddisk (at least I presume they exist these days) and Windows XP pro on it, and that is about it, the rest you have to figure out yourselves).
My friend has meanwhile fitted all sort of extensions, boasts he can now download and install 2000 styles in a jiffy, (great, but these styles are all old stuff, VA7 at its very best). The style and sound structure to the best of my knowledge is identical to the VA series. If I were a US citizen and musician, I would not hold my breath. Go get yourself a Yammie or a Korg, or even both !!!! I mean for the G70 price you could probably get yourself a Yammie AND a Korg AND a Roland !!!!!!!
As you know I play the cheapo Korg PA-50 at present and it is a great keyboard,little different from the PA80. You can pick those up for substantially less than 1000 bucks, add a Yammie PSR3000 and you probably have enough money left to get yourself a decent second hand Roland (G800, G1000, VA5, VA7)
Talking about wise and musical investment!!!!!
anyway that's my view,
regards
john smies

#156799 - 03/10/05 07:59 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

I've now played with the G70 in my store for 2 days. The feature list is nothing short of amazing! The G70 does everything well. I've copied styles and songs so quickly from floppy to internal memory (those with the VA series no how slow this task is) and I've organized my songs in the "index" feature or easy recal of my songs. I've now gone through all the styles and I've found lots of great jazz and big band totally new and not like those in the VA products.
I do have to agree that many of the right hand sounds associated with the 4 one touch buttons have way more effects than I would like, but I've gone into the mixer's effects levels and made the sounds sound great with just a flick of a nob. I've noticed that in most cases the reverb levels seem to be in the 80's and I like them at about 18.
After I fix the level to something more to my liking, I've gone through most of the sounds and really like them alot.
For those middle eastern musicians out there, I thought I would only find 1 oriental drum kit but I was surprised to find at least 6 or seven. There are Oriental kits, Oriental R and B, Oriental Techno and they all sound great. Now, if only they included some oriental styles but you will have to create your own. I also found some really nice ouds, kanouns, mizmars, nays and other ethnic sounds, better than in the VA series.
I played with the vocal harmonizer and when singing some of the songs I usually demo on the Yamaha and Korg models, I found that the harmony voices had a more pleasant sound when played on the G70.
Honestly, there are so many things this keyboard can do I think it will take me weeks of just pushing buttons and reading the owners manual to find them all out.
Since my first comments when I had a chance to see and hear the G70 for a couple of hours a few months ago my opinion has greatly changed. I don't know if it was because it was a prototype or had an early software version, but I do not think this is so much like the VA products now that I've had a long look at a finished product. I would have to put this keyboard right up there with the PA1XPRO and the SD1plus.
Effects can be changed to suit your tastes, but the sound and style quality are quite good.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156800 - 03/10/05 08:12 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
For those middle eastern musicians out there, I thought I would only find 1 oriental drum kit but I was surprised to find at least 6 or seven. There are Oriental kits, Oriental R and B, Oriental Techno and they all sound great. Now, if only they included some oriental styles but you will have to create your own. I also found some really nice ouds, kanouns, mizmars, nays and other ethnic sounds, better than in the VA series.

G-70 oriental tones are taken from Roland oriental keyboards (E-500OR, EM-55OR, etc.). Styles and songs made for these keyboards are fully compatible with G-70.

#156801 - 03/10/05 08:29 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

@John smies

why are you trying to run down this key in such an obtrusive way ?
We all know that you dislike the G-70.You posted that several times before,so why are you always talking about a product you are not interested in... just wondering ??

regards

Muto

#156802 - 03/10/05 10:07 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

The G70 is a superinstrument.
Never before it was so easy to make my own
styles and never before they sounded so good
Editing styles is a matter of seconds.
The stylecomposer and the style make up are
exremely good helps.
I play the G70 now about 3 month and the negative messages are from people that do not own a G70 and they do not know enough
of the G70 to give a good opinion.
A friend of mine left this forum because he
hated to read the negative nonsense about
this good instrument.

#156803 - 03/10/05 10:15 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
deb Offline

Loc: netherlands
Yes Mart I know that Bevan left this forum
for that reason. He told me too and it is a shame that such a good keyboardplayer is no
longer here because of such negative nonsen-
se.

#156804 - 03/10/05 10:49 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

I always think that Roland produces good products. Good product means the right product for musicians. I ordered mine without seing and trying. I played Yam several years ago. When I owned my first Juno 15 years ago, and in 2000 the XV88, i was suprised about the quality of the keyboard in term of sounds, easy button, and well built product. I don't need much to read the manual. New version of OS for G70 will be released very soon. They say this month?...

#156805 - 03/10/05 11:03 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Mart;

I just wanted some clarification on your statements about style creation. Are you speaking about just tweaking exisiting style, or creating styles from scratch? How professional do the "from scratch" styles sound? How complex are they? and what is the difficulty factor in creating them? ( how long does it take?) Can you also create Intro/ending/variations and fill-ins?

I am assuming that they are stored in the Internal SSD? I am concerned that the 50Mg won't last very long. Do you know how much space the style took up?

Thanks
Regards;
BN

#156806 - 03/10/05 12:26 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Roel Offline

There seem to be 2 'types' of musicians :

Type 1 expects to find a keyboard what is ready to go out of the box right away. Type 1's are not very interested in "amazing editing features".

Type 2's in the first place are impressed by the editing features of keyboards and they accept the needed tweaking.

I'm a "type 1"!!

If someone would write "The Tyros is painted red" .... that's nonsense. A personal opinion is'nt nonsense but only a view and we have a right to have one.

Bert is probably among us using another nickname

#156807 - 03/10/05 12:51 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Tyros is not a bad machine, but with G-70, its price must be lower. This is what it happens in Europe. I would not buy it at the same price of G-70, even if the tyros is released at the same time. Yamaha is not the beginner in arranger but it is not for the same public.From my opinion, Tyros is good for Piano bar.

#156808 - 03/10/05 12:56 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
There seem to be 2 'types' of musicians..

There most be one more type Roel, I'm a type 0 , I want the keyboard
to play perfectly just by look at it, if it sing too it's even better!

GJ

#156809 - 03/10/05 01:07 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Roel;

So what you are saying is that Type 1 users are lazy. Can't we have a Type 3 user ( type1 + type 2) which is a person who expects the keyborad to be good out of the box, but is also interested in tweaking/modifying /sequencing as well the advanced features etc..

At 3-4K for these TOP model arrangers one should expect a certain level of performance. After all they are suppose to TOP of the line flag ships aren't they?

Regards;
BN

#156810 - 03/10/05 01:08 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

i am quite surprised that someone would leave the forum because some people dont like the instrument he owns. Come on !!! Dont take the comments personally . I am certainly not trying to hurt anyones feelings here. my views are what i have experienced. Itriedf the Genesys too and did no buy it. I hope the Genesys owners dont disappear in disgust !

If you want to buy a product that did not sound good from the moment you demoed it and want to potentially make a mistake of paying a few thousand pounds "just in case" it was a good board afterall, then by all means do so. I for one need a board to look and sound like a winner from the begining. If the marketing and sales department at Roland could not be bothered to "tweak" the instrument so that it would sound more attractive to people when played next to their competitors by people who genuinly want to buy, Why should potential customers part with their hard earned cash ???

I am not a Techy or a keyboard tweaker (although i posses the interest and ability to develope those skills) i am an amateur musician who wants to play nice music with a great instrument. Sorry if this offends the tweakers!

#156811 - 03/10/05 01:18 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Spalding;

Which Genesys did you try? Why did you not like it? What else have you tried and what do you currently play?

Regards;
BN

#156812 - 03/10/05 01:25 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Gunnar....
A solution for type 0 people: Keyboard with mp3 reader or an iPOD that sings to you.

#156813 - 03/10/05 01:38 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

i have tried the Genesys pro. The PA1X , Tyros, G70 but have yet to try the SD1. ?They are hard to find in the uk. I have also tried the PSR3000.The most impressive was the Korg. Yamaha let themselves down with the lack of sampler and non existent sequencer. I have already commented on the Genesys and the G70 and hurt some peoples feelings so i will not say any more on thse boards) . I need an all in one keyboard as i am not a full time musician. I have a demanding job, a gorgeous 5 year old daughter that is into everything and not a whole lot of space so i need an instrument that is portable , and an all in one solution.

The best i have heard so far is the Korg PA1X. I was a Technics player before and then a Yammie fan for years but that keyboard is outstanding in terms of sound quality but the price at least last year was also outstanding !I write and arrange music for various Gospel choirs in the UK using my Yamaha PSR8000 and i needed an instrument that could be used as both an arranger for live work and a studio board but also with the facility to sample. Its much easier to experiment with an arranger and work out grooves or try a vibe (style ) that the choir can get into then and there . Once i know how they react to the grooves its then easy to record that and give it to live musicians to work out their own part. It also makes remixing a song instantly possible as i can change the groove of a song at the touch of a button. I'm not a pro musician but i demand quality from my instrument.Especially for the prices they are sold for .

#156814 - 03/10/05 01:48 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Dear Mart;

I just wanted some clarification on your statements about style creation. Are you speaking about just tweaking exisiting style, or creating styles from scratch? How professional do the "from scratch" styles sound? How complex are they? and what is the difficulty factor in creating them? ( how long does it take?) Can you also create Intro/ending/variations and fill-ins?

I am assuming that they are stored in the Internal SSD? I am concerned that the 50Mg won't last very long. Do you know how much space the style took up?

Thanks
Regards;
BN

Hi BN,
independent of that, Mart will answer, I can tell to you my experience on G-70.
Create an absolute new style may be very difficult by using all individual parts of Roland
style divisions: 4 intros, 4 endings, 4 main variations, 6 fills within mode mayor, minor seventh,
8 tracks each = 432 parts! Depend on the own ability new style will sound very good,
- or less. It is not possible create events step by step, but correct, delete and insert events
follow on is possible by MICRO EDIT. Best method getting 'brand new styles' in my opinion is
combine useable parts with your own new created parts. Tweaking exsisting styles, G-70
provide countless opportunities. The 50 MB SSD contains the factory data too. So, if you don't
delete some of them, you will have a shortage storing more than 800 additional styles, I think.
Internal SSD storage to save USER PROGRAMS is necessary for MUSIK ASSISTANT use. But
PCMCIA adaptor works very fast. My old VA/G1000 styles took 6,5 MB of storage. One new
G-70 style take up to 80 KB. (Perhaps more?)
Regards Hanspeter

#156815 - 03/10/05 06:23 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
kelfar Offline

George,

Does the Gw7 come with 7 Oriental Kits and Arabic sounds like the G70?

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I've now played with the G70 in my store for 2 days. The feature list is nothing short of amazing! The G70 does everything well. I've copied styles and songs so quickly from floppy to internal memory (those with the VA series no how slow this task is) and I've organized my songs in the "index" feature or easy recal of my songs. I've now gone through all the styles and I've found lots of great jazz and big band totally new and not like those in the VA products.
I do have to agree that many of the right hand sounds associated with the 4 one touch buttons have way more effects than I would like, but I've gone into the mixer's effects levels and made the sounds sound great with just a flick of a nob. I've noticed that in most cases the reverb levels seem to be in the 80's and I like them at about 18.
After I fix the level to something more to my liking, I've gone through most of the sounds and really like them alot.
I played with the vocal harmonizer and when singing some of the songs I usually demo on the Yamaha and Korg models, I found that the harmony voices had a more pleasant sound when played on the G70.
Honestly, there are so many things this keyboard can do I think it will take me weeks of just pushing buttons and reading the owners manual to find them all out.
Since my first comments when I had a chance to see and hear the G70 for a couple of hours a few months ago my opinion has greatly changed. I don't know if it was because it was a prototype or had an early software version, but I do not think this is so much like the VA products now that I've had a long look at a finished product. I would have to put this keyboard right up there with the PA1XPRO and the SD1plus.
Effects can be changed to suit your tastes, but the sound and style quality are quite good.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

#156816 - 03/10/05 09:52 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

I don't know what kits are in the GW7 keyboard. they have not started shipping yet.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156817 - 03/11/05 04:58 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

Dear Roel;

So what you are saying is that Type 1 users are lazy. Can't we have a Type 3 user ( type1 + type 2) which is a person who expects the keyborad to be good out of the box, but is also interested in tweaking/modifying /sequencing as well the advanced features etc..

I'm with the "type 3" guys!!!

Regards;
BN

#156818 - 03/11/05 10:39 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi BlkNotes,
Tweaking styles is the most easy way to get
your own styles.
By using the Style Make up this is a matter
of minutes for an existing style. For one
track a matter of seconds.
When you use the Style Composer when twea-
king a style it will take a few minutes more
for, as an example, copying a track from another style to your new style. After that
you can use the Style Make up again for
choosing the sound, the volume ,the effects,
the velocity and the pan.
Making complete new styles from scratch takes a lot of time but is not neccesary to make Maj,Min and 7's for all the parts.
It is possible to combine these three to one
track.
I did this in the passed but now I just edit
and tweak existing styles. For guitarstrum-
ming I used a Digitar.
There are so many converted styles on the net for tweaking that in this moment I do not need new styles.
The G70 has an internal memory (50MB) and
beside that I use an external memory(250MB)
Of course I play music and I like it to edit
styles. I do not think there are musicians
that only are happy when they can edit a
style.
To an existing style it is allways possible
to play and create a new track by playing
on the keys of your arranger.If you like for
Maj,Min and 7's or combined to one track.

#156819 - 03/11/05 01:52 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Thanks to Mart & Ironhill for your explainantions. It helps clarify a number points.

Mart when you state external memory (250Mg), are you talking about a PC card ( i.e. compact flash,smart media, memory stck)? I suppose then one could tweak & create many styles and store them on several PC cards. Changing cards when you need them. This would make number of styles that you have at your finger tips enormous. Am i interpreting this correctly?

I suppose one could also store midi files and sequences on these cards? Do you know how many sequences ( either notes or songs) or midi files one could fit on a 250 Mg card?

Are 250Mg cards the largest that will fit in the G-70 slot?

Regards;
BN

#156820 - 03/11/05 02:05 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Quote:

Are 250Mg cards the largest that will fit in the G-70 slot?

No, you can use the biggest Card you have 4 Gbytes and now more than 8 Gbytes exits. Microdrive can be used too to store styles, midifiles, etc...
Hope that the new version of the OS can read mp3 et other good things.

#156821 - 03/11/05 07:08 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
marcosvampa Offline

Loc: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:

I would back up Spalding here.(...)

Hi Spalding and John Smies!
I'm musician in Brazil, my name is Marcos Vampa.
I'm looking for information about G70 and I found thid forum.
And I found two other foruns, with diferent opinions, one good, another bad.
When you say " through the same set up" what do you mean?
I ask it because keyboards with built in speakers always sound worst when plugged on an external amplifier and speakers. Recently I had a great disappointment with PA50 because of it, so I sold it. PA1X and Tyros have built in speakers an G70 don't. (well... sorry my english...). And
My interest in Roland arranger keyboards is because there many brazilian styles for them, and styles that sound very similar to the reality of our music, different of other manufacturers, that have a "outside look" to us.
If G70 have an inteligent style edition, and if it sounds at least like a Roland XP80 or a Korg i3 that's enough for me.
What fo you think?

Thanks,
Marcos Vampa

------------------
Marcos Vampa
Rio
Brazil

#156822 - 03/11/05 10:38 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

the shop i went into had the korg pa1x , the tyros and the G70. The tyros and G70 do not have built in speakers and the korg does. I tried all three through the same mixing desk. I am not a technical person when it comes to setting up demos with equipment i am unfamiliar with but the store owner who helped set up the mixer and amplification is. The Korg quite clearly sounded better simply in tonality and fidelity. You will find a common theme with posts about the G70. The sounds straight from the box have far too much effects on them. So eg the piano sounds like you can here it in a large room from a distance. That was just one example and unfortunately there were many. If you like latin styles do not spend £000's on a keyboard simply for that.Styles are easily bought on the net or provided freely from other net resources with a little tweaking. But i would suggest that your focus should be on the actual quality of sound and usefulness of the keyboard features. I focused on the sound. To me thats the selling point of any musical instrument. Value for money is important and functionality but thats not the primary concern. If it were i would buy a casio ( I am just creating enemies left right and centre here...no offence to casio owners!!) What i am saying is that you need to try out these boards yourself if you can find a distributor and make up your own mind. But as a consumer and a genuine potential buyer of Roland products, Roland are making it too hard for me to find something to like about the G70 right from the outset. And from what i have read , by limiting its distribution to certain outlets , they are making it difficult to actually buy their products too....

#156823 - 03/12/05 02:51 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi BlkNotes,
My external memory is not full yet so I can
not tell you how much styles and midifiles
a 250MB card can place.
My external memorycard has now more than
1500 styles and still has plenty of room for
another 1000 I think.
All these styles are direct playable and it
takes no time to load.

#156824 - 03/12/05 03:23 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
The Korg quite clearly sounded better simply in tonality and fidelity. You will find a common theme with posts about the G70. The sounds straight from the box have far too much effects on them.

I am wondering if this is a (recent?) Roland habit. Although my current instrument is a Roland VA-76, this was equally a very hard instrument to like on first aquaintance. Frankly, it sounded terrible straight out of the box. Again, part of the problem was the same drowning of everything in totally OTT reverb and FX.

Although it can be made to sound much better by cleaning the sound up drastically (e.g. back off the reverb and - in some cases - completely remove the factory choice of insert FX) I would have to say that this revealed the "dry" sounds to be of inferior quality compared with - say - any Korg arranger of the last 10 years.

To be fair, sounds are subjective & like most instruments some sounds in the VA are better than others & the very good ones are as good as any. However, the general average quality is more consistent with a £500 instrument than a £2000+ instrument and I just wonder if Roland were deliberately drowning the thing in reverb to make it sound more impressive in the showroom.

I sincerely hope that this is not the reason with the G-70 as it is still on my list as a possible.

#156825 - 03/18/05 06:05 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
marcosvampa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
If you like latin styles do not spend £000's on a keyboard simply for that.Styles are easily bought on the net or provided freely from other net resources with a little tweaking.

Hi everybody
Hi Spalding

The question is that Roland make styles that are really brazilian. They sound very close to our musical feeling. Korg, Yamaha, and others, don't do it sucessfully. They provide us with stuff they THINK brazilian music is. The simple fact the keyboard manufacturers situates brazilian music under the "Latin Music" label shows up how they don't know what our music really is, and how the styles should sound. But Roland have a special politcs to brazilian music, they have a different way to approach it. The result is: the best styles to play our music, brazilian
music, not "latin" music. Maybe it's hard to foreigners understand, hear, see this differences, but to us they are very clear. In the same way is almost impossible for many brazilian musician see differences between american pop rock and english pop rock, grunge and heavy metal, rock and rythm blues etc. Roland provide dozens of samba, forro, axe, choro and others good brazilians styles, the others offers 3 or 4 poor styles
I, as you, buy keyboards considering it's sound, but, considering Roland have a huge users community working and producing brazilian styles, and considering that their converted styles don't sound so good when played on others keyboards (Korg, Yamaha, etc) I want try G70 . If I will be very very disappointed, wel... maybe a XV-5080 as a tone generator could help. But it means spend more money...
What do you think?

(and sorry my english)
Marcos Vampa

#156826 - 03/18/05 06:53 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Marcos, I bought a 5080 to use as a sound generator with my G1000...
The 5080 could not handle the midi data from the G1000 very well..it had lags and glitches..It definately is the problem of the 5080...I used other sources for sounds without problems[XP80, JV1010 and naturally all the GS instruments from Roland]..
Just a word of caution,,try the combination of your arranger and the 5080 first..before you commit to buying a 5080 for that purpose..
I loved the 5080 for what it does,but it didn't work well with my arranger..

#156827 - 03/18/05 09:36 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
marcosvampa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I used other sources for sounds without problems[XP80, JV1010 and naturally all the GS instruments from Roland]

Fran, I have a JV-1080, I use it with a EXR7 to improve the final sound. But in the GM mode EXR7 can't access all the GM Drum Kits, it's limited to Standard and Brush Set. Do you know a way EXR7 can use all JV1080 GM Drum Kits?
And what is the best GM/GS instruments you used wuth G1000?

Thank You
Marcos Vampa

------------------
Marcos Vampa
Rio
Brazil

#156828 - 03/18/05 01:35 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Marcos, the GM drum kit will only give you the two drumsets..
Actually any of the GS modules will work, but none sound better than the G1000 engine...with the exception of the VA7 used as a sound source.
The GS instruments will give you a mininum of 9 drumkits..

You may be able to disable the GM reset, and set up a performance to use as a playback for arranger or sequences..

#156829 - 03/18/05 01:49 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ailev Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
I love brazilian music (and latin-caribean too, but that is definitely not brazilian), and I love Roland's keyboards for true feeling of brazilian styles. Now I own VA-76 and G70 (and PSR-9000 that have boring semibrazilian styles).

G70 have great sharp sounds (after 1.06 OS patch applied). It is OK with that sounds for me, but it is all about taste.

There are many brazilian styles (sambas and bossa-novas) at G70 and I think (that is my taste, other people think different) that many of it is average quality (it is constantly seems to me "brasilian feeling" of same styles on VA-76 is more than that of G70 -- while G70 styles more elaborated and "CD-quality").

I live in Moscow, Russia and like brasilian music. I have about 200 CD with brasilian music -- from 60-s to contemporary electronic. I like to play bossa-novas and sambas with my arrangers.

Can you point to me places in internet where I can find true brazilian styles for Roland arrangers? Or simply e-mail such styles to me!

#156830 - 03/18/05 04:50 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
marcosvampa Offline

Fran, did you try XV-5050?

#156831 - 03/18/05 04:56 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
marcosvampa Offline

OK Ailev,
it's very interesting a russian musician who like so much our music. At first I will send to you a zip file containing my personal selection of brazilian styles. This styles were picked from a CD distributed exclusively by Roland Brasil with 1100 styles, most of them brazilian styles. In the future, I hope to have a cable connection ISP and I will be able to send to you all the CD data.
Well, I can send you by mail (normal) too, if you give me an adress in Moscow.

------------------
Marcos Vampa
Rio
Brazil

#156832 - 03/18/05 09:20 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ailev Offline

marcos,
you have 1100 brasilian styles - wow! It sounds incredible to me! Thanks in advance for you gift!

ailev@asmp.msk.su -- it's my e-mail (SU is for Soviet Union, I have this address since 1991, when there was no such a country as Russia)

By the way: I am not musician, I am policy adviser (consultant). Simply I love to listen and to play music. I perform with my arrangers only to my wife, son and friends. But it a great pleasure to play arrangers!

I have many softsynth too but rare use that: arrangers have better overall mastering with its factory presets and I not like tweaking and tuning sound to fit, I like already tweaked orchestras that sitting ready to play in my G70 or PSR9000!

5 years ago I provided at one of Moscow clubs a bossa-nova 4-hour DJ set with only 10 famous bossa-nova titles: there was different covers of this great tunes (Desafinado, Corcovado, Girl from Ipanema etc.), no one track was repeated! Since that times my collection was expanded, now I have in addition to CD many (more than 2000) brasilian mp3 tracks. It is not only batucada and bossa but also capoeira and forro and contemporary electronic and "pop" like Banda Eva...

Levenchuk Anatoly,
Malaya Ordynka, 36-21,
Moscow, Russia, 115184

#156833 - 03/18/05 09:30 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Isn't it wonderful that we have the keyboards and music in common with people from ALL over the world?
If it were up to music lovers, I know there would never be any more wars. Except about arrangers
DonM

#156834 - 03/20/05 04:10 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Synthman Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

I'm a danish musician. My jobs is mostly weedings, birthdays, receptions and so on.
I bought the Roland G-70 i december. My expectations were enormous. I've played the G-1000 for more than 6 years, and I've been very satisfied. But after 6 years my ears were a little bit tired of the sound of my G-1000. So I have been waiting for the new Roland G-70 for a long time. And finally I got it. But............
I most say that it's very dissapointing what Roland comes up with. Here we have been waiting for a brand new keyboard, and I was so sure, that finally Roland would kick Yamaha's ass out of the market.
First of all, the sounds of G-70 simply doesn't match the standard of today. There is simply too much VA sound over it. The drumsounds are simply not good enough. I miss the old bass sound from the good old G-800 wich have been in both the G-1000 and the VA. The organsounds are increadible good, and so are the brasssounds. But when you connect it to a PA system the G-70 doesn't move anything. I don't have the feeling of a fat and lovely rich sound.
All the features such as the makeup tools and so on is very very good. The hardware is absolute the best on the market. Metal case, lovely keys and very nice buttons.
But that is not much help when the software leaves so much behind. And when it comes to software there isn't much hope for us who needs different styles on our jobs. Well you can just take the old styles from the VA and use them in the G-70. But every soundlevel must be changed and equed. There is simply to much work with the G-70 before you can go on the first job.
Here Yamaha comes up with a keyboard that sound good, is easy to handle and after a few days programming you can take it on your first job. That's very userfriendly.
I most say that all this combined, the outdated sounds, the lack of software, I most say that the G-70 is not a keyboard for me. It's very sad because I had so big expectations to this wonder.
So I have decided to deliever my G-70 back to the dealer and keep my good old G-1000, and wait til the new Tyrus II comes later this year.
Sorry Roland, YOU CAN DO BETTER.
That's just my opinion.
Sorry for my english*S*

Synthmann

#156835 - 03/20/05 04:39 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
There most be one more type Roel, I'm a type 0 , I want the keyboard
to play perfectly just by look at it, if it sing too it's even better!

GJ

Can I join your club???

#156836 - 03/20/05 04:54 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California

Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:
Can I join your club???

You're most welcome ViLo.
GJ

#156837 - 03/20/05 09:38 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ailev Offline

I want add one more bug in G70: two sounds are identical: Atak Clav.1 and Comp Clav.

But I am satisfied with sounds in general. It is not sounds as VA-76 to my ears as many reports. May be "sound concept" the same, but not quality of sounds. It is very good and crisp sounds -- to my ears. And slightly better then PSR9000 that I own and using as PA for G70 at home.

Yes, bass on G70 is boooooooming (with different sounds selected) via PSR9000. And I understand that it can be tweaked but not want to spend time for it, I simply want to play and want not to tweak all this makeup machinery.

But Cover feature is interesting (listen e.g. Orchestral Bossa in Techno cover). I think that this is not better than style morphing but interesting to play with.

Nevertheless: ROLAND, YOU CAN MAKE IT BETTER!!!

#156838 - 03/21/05 12:12 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
marcosvampa Offline

OFF-TOPIC

Ailev, I sended two messages to you but they turn back to me. Please send a abother e-mail adress clicking on the letter icone above.

:
194.220.212.125 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 not approved
Giving up on 194.220.212.125.

Té +
Marcos Vampa

------------------
Marcos Vampa
Rio
Brazil

#156839 - 03/21/05 01:03 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ailev Offline

marcos,
it is very strange with ailev@asmp.msk.su -- this is my main address.

You can try ailev@ice.ru and ailev@yandex.ru -- both will be forwarding to ailev@asmp.msk.su

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online