SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#156809 - 03/10/05 01:07 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Roel;

So what you are saying is that Type 1 users are lazy. Can't we have a Type 3 user ( type1 + type 2) which is a person who expects the keyborad to be good out of the box, but is also interested in tweaking/modifying /sequencing as well the advanced features etc..

At 3-4K for these TOP model arrangers one should expect a certain level of performance. After all they are suppose to TOP of the line flag ships aren't they?

Regards;
BN

#156810 - 03/10/05 01:08 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i am quite surprised that someone would leave the forum because some people dont like the instrument he owns. Come on !!! Dont take the comments personally . I am certainly not trying to hurt anyones feelings here. my views are what i have experienced. Itriedf the Genesys too and did no buy it. I hope the Genesys owners dont disappear in disgust !

If you want to buy a product that did not sound good from the moment you demoed it and want to potentially make a mistake of paying a few thousand pounds "just in case" it was a good board afterall, then by all means do so. I for one need a board to look and sound like a winner from the begining. If the marketing and sales department at Roland could not be bothered to "tweak" the instrument so that it would sound more attractive to people when played next to their competitors by people who genuinly want to buy, Why should potential customers part with their hard earned cash ???

I am not a Techy or a keyboard tweaker (although i posses the interest and ability to develope those skills) i am an amateur musician who wants to play nice music with a great instrument. Sorry if this offends the tweakers!

#156811 - 03/10/05 01:18 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Spalding;

Which Genesys did you try? Why did you not like it? What else have you tried and what do you currently play?

Regards;
BN

#156812 - 03/10/05 01:25 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Loc: France
Gunnar....
A solution for type 0 people: Keyboard with mp3 reader or an iPOD that sings to you.

#156813 - 03/10/05 01:38 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i have tried the Genesys pro. The PA1X , Tyros, G70 but have yet to try the SD1. ?They are hard to find in the uk. I have also tried the PSR3000.The most impressive was the Korg. Yamaha let themselves down with the lack of sampler and non existent sequencer. I have already commented on the Genesys and the G70 and hurt some peoples feelings so i will not say any more on thse boards) . I need an all in one keyboard as i am not a full time musician. I have a demanding job, a gorgeous 5 year old daughter that is into everything and not a whole lot of space so i need an instrument that is portable , and an all in one solution.

The best i have heard so far is the Korg PA1X. I was a Technics player before and then a Yammie fan for years but that keyboard is outstanding in terms of sound quality but the price at least last year was also outstanding !I write and arrange music for various Gospel choirs in the UK using my Yamaha PSR8000 and i needed an instrument that could be used as both an arranger for live work and a studio board but also with the facility to sample. Its much easier to experiment with an arranger and work out grooves or try a vibe (style ) that the choir can get into then and there . Once i know how they react to the grooves its then easy to record that and give it to live musicians to work out their own part. It also makes remixing a song instantly possible as i can change the groove of a song at the touch of a button. I'm not a pro musician but i demand quality from my instrument.Especially for the prices they are sold for .

#156814 - 03/10/05 01:48 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Dear Mart;

I just wanted some clarification on your statements about style creation. Are you speaking about just tweaking exisiting style, or creating styles from scratch? How professional do the "from scratch" styles sound? How complex are they? and what is the difficulty factor in creating them? ( how long does it take?) Can you also create Intro/ending/variations and fill-ins?

I am assuming that they are stored in the Internal SSD? I am concerned that the 50Mg won't last very long. Do you know how much space the style took up?

Thanks
Regards;
BN

Hi BN,
independent of that, Mart will answer, I can tell to you my experience on G-70.
Create an absolute new style may be very difficult by using all individual parts of Roland
style divisions: 4 intros, 4 endings, 4 main variations, 6 fills within mode mayor, minor seventh,
8 tracks each = 432 parts! Depend on the own ability new style will sound very good,
- or less. It is not possible create events step by step, but correct, delete and insert events
follow on is possible by MICRO EDIT. Best method getting 'brand new styles' in my opinion is
combine useable parts with your own new created parts. Tweaking exsisting styles, G-70
provide countless opportunities. The 50 MB SSD contains the factory data too. So, if you don't
delete some of them, you will have a shortage storing more than 800 additional styles, I think.
Internal SSD storage to save USER PROGRAMS is necessary for MUSIK ASSISTANT use. But
PCMCIA adaptor works very fast. My old VA/G1000 styles took 6,5 MB of storage. One new
G-70 style take up to 80 KB. (Perhaps more?)
Regards Hanspeter

#156815 - 03/10/05 06:23 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
kelfar Offline

George,

Does the Gw7 come with 7 Oriental Kits and Arabic sounds like the G70?

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I've now played with the G70 in my store for 2 days. The feature list is nothing short of amazing! The G70 does everything well. I've copied styles and songs so quickly from floppy to internal memory (those with the VA series no how slow this task is) and I've organized my songs in the "index" feature or easy recal of my songs. I've now gone through all the styles and I've found lots of great jazz and big band totally new and not like those in the VA products.
I do have to agree that many of the right hand sounds associated with the 4 one touch buttons have way more effects than I would like, but I've gone into the mixer's effects levels and made the sounds sound great with just a flick of a nob. I've noticed that in most cases the reverb levels seem to be in the 80's and I like them at about 18.
After I fix the level to something more to my liking, I've gone through most of the sounds and really like them alot.
For those middle eastern musicians out there, I thought I would only find 1 oriental drum kit but I was surprised to find at least 6 or seven. There are Oriental kits, Oriental R and B, Oriental Techno and they all sound great. Now, if only they included some oriental styles but you will have to create your own. I also found some really nice ouds, kanouns, mizmars, nays and other ethnic sounds, better than in the VA series.
I played with the vocal harmonizer and when singing some of the songs I usually demo on the Yamaha and Korg models, I found that the harmony voices had a more pleasant sound when played on the G70.
Honestly, there are so many things this keyboard can do I think it will take me weeks of just pushing buttons and reading the owners manual to find them all out.
Since my first comments when I had a chance to see and hear the G70 for a couple of hours a few months ago my opinion has greatly changed. I don't know if it was because it was a prototype or had an early software version, but I do not think this is so much like the VA products now that I've had a long look at a finished product. I would have to put this keyboard right up there with the PA1XPRO and the SD1plus.
Effects can be changed to suit your tastes, but the sound and style quality are quite good.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

#156816 - 03/10/05 09:52 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I don't know what kits are in the GW7 keyboard. they have not started shipping yet.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156817 - 03/11/05 04:58 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Dear Roel;

So what you are saying is that Type 1 users are lazy. Can't we have a Type 3 user ( type1 + type 2) which is a person who expects the keyborad to be good out of the box, but is also interested in tweaking/modifying /sequencing as well the advanced features etc..

I'm with the "type 3" guys!!!

Regards;
BN

#156818 - 03/11/05 10:39 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi BlkNotes,
Tweaking styles is the most easy way to get
your own styles.
By using the Style Make up this is a matter
of minutes for an existing style. For one
track a matter of seconds.
When you use the Style Composer when twea-
king a style it will take a few minutes more
for, as an example, copying a track from another style to your new style. After that
you can use the Style Make up again for
choosing the sound, the volume ,the effects,
the velocity and the pan.
Making complete new styles from scratch takes a lot of time but is not neccesary to make Maj,Min and 7's for all the parts.
It is possible to combine these three to one
track.
I did this in the passed but now I just edit
and tweak existing styles. For guitarstrum-
ming I used a Digitar.
There are so many converted styles on the net for tweaking that in this moment I do not need new styles.
The G70 has an internal memory (50MB) and
beside that I use an external memory(250MB)
Of course I play music and I like it to edit
styles. I do not think there are musicians
that only are happy when they can edit a
style.
To an existing style it is allways possible
to play and create a new track by playing
on the keys of your arranger.If you like for
Maj,Min and 7's or combined to one track.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online