SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#156799 - 03/10/05 07:59 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I've now played with the G70 in my store for 2 days. The feature list is nothing short of amazing! The G70 does everything well. I've copied styles and songs so quickly from floppy to internal memory (those with the VA series no how slow this task is) and I've organized my songs in the "index" feature or easy recal of my songs. I've now gone through all the styles and I've found lots of great jazz and big band totally new and not like those in the VA products.
I do have to agree that many of the right hand sounds associated with the 4 one touch buttons have way more effects than I would like, but I've gone into the mixer's effects levels and made the sounds sound great with just a flick of a nob. I've noticed that in most cases the reverb levels seem to be in the 80's and I like them at about 18.
After I fix the level to something more to my liking, I've gone through most of the sounds and really like them alot.
For those middle eastern musicians out there, I thought I would only find 1 oriental drum kit but I was surprised to find at least 6 or seven. There are Oriental kits, Oriental R and B, Oriental Techno and they all sound great. Now, if only they included some oriental styles but you will have to create your own. I also found some really nice ouds, kanouns, mizmars, nays and other ethnic sounds, better than in the VA series.
I played with the vocal harmonizer and when singing some of the songs I usually demo on the Yamaha and Korg models, I found that the harmony voices had a more pleasant sound when played on the G70.
Honestly, there are so many things this keyboard can do I think it will take me weeks of just pushing buttons and reading the owners manual to find them all out.
Since my first comments when I had a chance to see and hear the G70 for a couple of hours a few months ago my opinion has greatly changed. I don't know if it was because it was a prototype or had an early software version, but I do not think this is so much like the VA products now that I've had a long look at a finished product. I would have to put this keyboard right up there with the PA1XPRO and the SD1plus.
Effects can be changed to suit your tastes, but the sound and style quality are quite good.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156800 - 03/10/05 08:12 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
For those middle eastern musicians out there, I thought I would only find 1 oriental drum kit but I was surprised to find at least 6 or seven. There are Oriental kits, Oriental R and B, Oriental Techno and they all sound great. Now, if only they included some oriental styles but you will have to create your own. I also found some really nice ouds, kanouns, mizmars, nays and other ethnic sounds, better than in the VA series.

G-70 oriental tones are taken from Roland oriental keyboards (E-500OR, EM-55OR, etc.). Styles and songs made for these keyboards are fully compatible with G-70.

#156801 - 03/10/05 08:29 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

@John smies

why are you trying to run down this key in such an obtrusive way ?
We all know that you dislike the G-70.You posted that several times before,so why are you always talking about a product you are not interested in... just wondering ??

regards

Muto

#156802 - 03/10/05 10:07 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

The G70 is a superinstrument.
Never before it was so easy to make my own
styles and never before they sounded so good
Editing styles is a matter of seconds.
The stylecomposer and the style make up are
exremely good helps.
I play the G70 now about 3 month and the negative messages are from people that do not own a G70 and they do not know enough
of the G70 to give a good opinion.
A friend of mine left this forum because he
hated to read the negative nonsense about
this good instrument.

#156803 - 03/10/05 10:15 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
deb Offline

Loc: netherlands
Yes Mart I know that Bevan left this forum
for that reason. He told me too and it is a shame that such a good keyboardplayer is no
longer here because of such negative nonsen-
se.

#156804 - 03/10/05 10:49 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Loc: France
I always think that Roland produces good products. Good product means the right product for musicians. I ordered mine without seing and trying. I played Yam several years ago. When I owned my first Juno 15 years ago, and in 2000 the XV88, i was suprised about the quality of the keyboard in term of sounds, easy button, and well built product. I don't need much to read the manual. New version of OS for G70 will be released very soon. They say this month?...

#156805 - 03/10/05 11:03 AM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Mart;

I just wanted some clarification on your statements about style creation. Are you speaking about just tweaking exisiting style, or creating styles from scratch? How professional do the "from scratch" styles sound? How complex are they? and what is the difficulty factor in creating them? ( how long does it take?) Can you also create Intro/ending/variations and fill-ins?

I am assuming that they are stored in the Internal SSD? I am concerned that the 50Mg won't last very long. Do you know how much space the style took up?

Thanks
Regards;
BN

#156806 - 03/10/05 12:26 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Roel Offline

There seem to be 2 'types' of musicians :

Type 1 expects to find a keyboard what is ready to go out of the box right away. Type 1's are not very interested in "amazing editing features".

Type 2's in the first place are impressed by the editing features of keyboards and they accept the needed tweaking.

I'm a "type 1"!!

If someone would write "The Tyros is painted red" .... that's nonsense. A personal opinion is'nt nonsense but only a view and we have a right to have one.

Bert is probably among us using another nickname

#156807 - 03/10/05 12:51 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
bbc Offline

Loc: France
Tyros is not a bad machine, but with G-70, its price must be lower. This is what it happens in Europe. I would not buy it at the same price of G-70, even if the tyros is released at the same time. Yamaha is not the beginner in arranger but it is not for the same public.From my opinion, Tyros is good for Piano bar.

#156808 - 03/10/05 12:56 PM Re: Roland G70 now available in California
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
There seem to be 2 'types' of musicians..

There most be one more type Roel, I'm a type 0 , I want the keyboard
to play perfectly just by look at it, if it sing too it's even better!

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online