SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#156717 - 07/30/07 04:49 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
One thing that works well for me is to create playlists of 13 song sets and run through them repeatedly so that I can memorize them. Once I learn that set, I move on to the next. This way I have my "goto" songs that I can pull out at any time. I usually flub through new stuff I add and am guilty of reading charts and / lyrics but I try to at least learn the lyrics about 60% so that I can at least maintain eye contact with the audience every other verse or so to give the appearance that I'm looking at them all the time.

I usually fiddle more with my keyboard settings than charts and lyrics. I still haven't gotten my act down with registrations and styles. I'm constantly bit fiddling with those settings. I'm always trying to get the perfect beat for the right song. I wish I could be like Uncle Dave who uses 6-12 standard styles for all his songs; I just can't manage to do that.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#156718 - 07/30/07 05:48 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
good topic.

It is my geatest weekness as a player, as I use lead sheets as a crutch even though I just glance at it. I am a reader, but I'm forcing to wean myself from the music.

I think like anything else, it will come in time with being persistant.

Other than that, what are some specific tips or methods us readers can implement to get to this next level?

#156719 - 07/30/07 06:10 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Good post. I try not to use anything. Keeping eye contact is paramount. If I have to read a new piece, special request, it always slows me down. I try and commit it to memory asap.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#156720 - 07/30/07 06:34 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I always used printed music..till one day in the early 90's I had a job with a young lady, about an hour away...I forgot the music books...

I started out playing the more familiar tunes, and low and behold...I realized I already knew the tunes...Here I am 15 years later, and never haul sheet music to a job..

I even to this day can play tunes I played 40 years ago via sheet music...without sheets, and in original keys...I one time I always thought I had a photogenic mind when it came to sheet music....I could picture the songs in a fake book, right down to the page number[serious]..

Now lyrics are another story, I can remember many tunes, how be it, swapping around verses and words...but you know what? I have heard my music buddies do the same ..

I also believe a strong vocalist that backs them-self, can get by without sheet music more easily...just 2-5 ing there way thru a tune....

#156721 - 07/30/07 07:22 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by N9FAL:
what are some specific tips or methods us readers can implement to get to this next level?

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/001532.html

#156722 - 07/30/07 07:38 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had a young accordion player with a mostly bald head in my trio. Most of the night he would have beads of perspiration falling down on his head while he leaned forward and read the music from his book. The same songs week after week. In the middle of one of our jobs I pulled the book off the stand and his face turned into panic. He never used the book after that.

This one is about seniors.
Do you know that a senior can learn a song and play without music and draw a blank next time the song is called. aaaaaaaaah!

I had the music in front of me, I announced the Bride and Groom they entered, than we invited them to the floor for the first dance. I was not sure of the release of the song, I had not done my job. I was concerned. I started singing they began to dance – when it came to the release of the song a waiter tip over a tray of dishes, aaaah by the time it got quiet I was back to the top of the song. There is a music God I’m sure.

I fully agree, if you are reading the lyric or reading the notes it is not possible to give it your best. Your concentration is divided. I guess we all can not be perfect.

John C.

#156723 - 07/30/07 08:02 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:

I had a young accordion player with a mostly bald head in my trio.

I thought you were going to say that you projected the words on the back of his head

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#156724 - 07/30/07 08:06 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Zuki so when can we hear a few demos....with all those gigs per month you must be well rehearsed .....common dont be shy!

Certainly not shy.......just no time to update my web site. The time between jobs is always practice, practice, practice. The wife, in addition to her chores, is even cutting the grass now too

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#156725 - 07/30/07 08:08 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:

I fully agree, if you are reading the lyric or reading the notes it is not possible to give it your best. Your concentration is divided. I guess we all can not be perfect.
John C.

Exactly.....besides the head in the book stage presence....your a slave to the sheet.....instead when your "Free Playing" or improvising it allows your to do what ever you want & be more creative within a song without being chained to a certain strict regiment every time you play...it allows you to open your horizons musically, play different riffs, passages, use different techniques & lets your imagination go wild while playing with less stringent concentration which definitly becomes ROBOTIC & SOULESS time after time...I have repeatedly expressed my "BLINDFOLD TECHNIC" many times on the SZ which for the most part people think I'm nuts but it will definitly give your the confidence to play without Sheets or Lyrics.....try it sometime......Blindfold yourself and play a whole song & Sing it without looking.
IMO you have to learn how to play effortlessly with outlooking at sheets, the keys, while you sing to the audience....next exercise is to PLAY your KB while someone Talks to you so that you can still keep playing EFFORTLESSLY while your head is turned to talk to them....or listen to their request etc, etc ....without every missing a single beat......I relate this for example to when you first got your driving licence.....first day you were with BOTH hands on the wheel 10-2 gripped tight, tense, stiff & nervous looking straight ahead......then a month or so l8tr you have one arm around your girlfriend, radio blasting, Cigarette in you mouth, using your Knee to steer, looking all over at the pretty girls or whatever, BUT your still "Driving EFFORTLESSLY" now while your mind is doing other things....so you see my point...get into this mode of playing "Effortlessly" & let your fingers do the walking while your enjoy everything else around you!

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a Job You Love, and you will Never have to Work a Day in Your Life! ”

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-30-2007).]

#156726 - 07/30/07 08:19 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Certainly not shy.......just no time to update my web site. The time between jobs is always practice, practice, practice. The wife, in addition to her chores, is even cutting the grass now too

zuki

Zuki....when your ready take a few minutes & email me a few songs ...I'll wait

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online