SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#156606 - 08/27/05 11:14 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
99% of the time Donny just makes a selection from the screen...the rest is interaction with the audience..

That being the case, and the FACT that I'm constantly having to defend myself for basically 'doing the the SAME thing' strikes me as rather hypocritical.

The fact is that I play the arranger keyboard LIVE (no pre-sequenced midi files) and sing all night long, including fulfilling song requests, which requires a vast song repetoire . Except for those with a limited repetoire, it's impossible for anyone to keep every song they know fully memorized and at peak performance level in their head & fingers. "So what" if I need to rely on the MusicPad Pro or LCD Screen to perform occasionally. The mere fact that I'm able to satsify an audience member's request is what makes them happy, bringing BIGGER tips, and them coming back night after night as well. Except for formal concert venue performances, I see nothing wrong with occasionally utilizing music/lyrics on stage when required, as long as it doesn't interfere with your audience interaction. I certainly hope (but doubt) my answer here will finally put my need to defend my position on this to rest. Let's wait and see. - Scott

#156607 - 08/27/05 12:58 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, the lone exception is Dave Boyd..He has the best recollection of lyrics and can tackle any song on the fly, using adequate chords and a proper bass line..

I can remember songs I have played for 40 years, but can never understand how someone can remember all the lyrics..
I have worked with young ladies that needed a key first word to remember tunes..

No need to defend yourself using a music prompt...we all have used them over the years...the key is not to use them as a crutch..

#156608 - 08/27/05 01:48 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Scott...Testy arent we ?
Out of the three things I use my laptop for Lyrics is about 10%....my screen is off to the right so I have a clear view straight out front to the audience....Im not going to argue....

#156609 - 08/27/05 04:34 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott...Testy arent we ?

Donny,

Well YES!, but can you really BLAME me? It's obvious that you, uncle dave, and others here too, utilize lyrics/music display onstage at least occasionally (aka laptop PC). For you to now turn around and infer that my method of using it (via MusicPad Pro or Tyros LCD Display Screen) is somehow inferior, strikes me as hypocritical, especially since I'd already had to spend so much time DEFENDING how I use it to you guys earlier, which incidently, is NO DIFFERENTLY (including no more often) than you use your laptop. Just in case you forgot, it was previously covered in my '5th posting' on the following thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009823.html

Peace. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-27-2005).]

#156610 - 08/27/05 09:02 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

I seem to be misunderstood..I never said Music Pad pro....my question was directed at the Tyros display method & in no demeaning way either regarding looking down vs looking forward....
I'll extend an Olive Branch

#156611 - 08/28/05 03:42 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Compared to most of you on the forum especially Scott, Fran, Donny etc. I'm a rank amateur!! I have the utmost respect that you can play 99.9% of your material from memory. Less than a year ago I started gigging and unfortunately, for me I have to use lead sheets for 99% of what I play.( good thing I have a day job) At 53 years old I find it very difficult to keep in my head what I ate for lunch yesterday, never mind 30 tunes for a one hour gig. I use a 3 inch thick binder for lead sheets, talk about distration! I'm working on memorzing material, but it ain't easy. After seeing Scott's photos of the music pad pro. I know this is definitely on my wish list. In the meantime I will give me laptop a whirl. Thank you all for your input on the forum, I'm getting a real education.

#156612 - 08/28/05 03:46 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
I find it very difficult to keep in my head what I ate for lunch yesterday

Oh, yea I just remembered it was a eggs, toast and home fries.

#156613 - 08/28/05 01:40 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
my question was directed at the Tyros display method . . . looking down vs looking forward

Donny, I personally don't think it matters whether you're looking slightly down, or slightly to the right or left. If only for a brief glance to help recover from a lyric/chord change memory lapse, it's no big deal, and a whole lot better than suffering the embarrassment of screwing up the song. The important thing is never to rely on lyrics/music exclusively (that's a crutch), but just use it for backup assistance if required. Heck, the world of entertainment (especially arranger keyboard) is part illusion afterall, and some element of 'smoke & mirrors' is part of the mix. Though not a fan of President Bush, I've noticed he too utilizes a digital display teleprompter whenever he speaks, glancing 'DOWN' at it every few seconds. It's just too bad our leaders need to resort to 'smoke & mirrors' to promote their policy agendas as well. - Scott

#156614 - 08/28/05 07:21 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
The important thing is never to rely on lyrics/music exclusively (that's a crutch), but just use it for backup assistance if required. - Scott

Scott now we're on the same page Carry On!

#156615 - 08/29/05 09:31 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott now we're on the same page

Donny, I honestly think you knew we've been on the same page on this issue 'all along', but merely having a little fun baiting me. I just couldn't resist taking it and running with it. - Scott

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online