SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156504 - 10/09/05 05:27 AM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Quasar Offline

Tapas,

I look forward to following up on your search and letting us know how your choice works out.

Good luck and success!

BTW, your thread is going to cost me hard-earned money, because it has forced me to admit that I'm unhappy with the 461C, and caused me to start web browsing for controllers again.

The frustrating thing about the M-Audio is that it's perfect in every functional way EXCEPT for the key feel, but ultimately that one flaw is critical. Oh well...

Cheers,
Michael

#156505 - 10/19/05 06:44 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi,

My search for a USB controller keyboard is over. The Edirol PCR-M50 49 key USB controller keyboard is the winner. I am delighted with this new toy.

The first and foremost thing that grabs your attention is the excellent synth action on this modified version. It is a delight to play on these keys. If your local store does not stock the PCR-M50, try out the Roland Fantom X6. This has the same key action. I preferred this key action compared to the Korg Kontrol.

I had a chance to compare the Novation ReMOTE 49 to the PCR-M50. Both have excellent key feel. The PCR-M50 has a sleeker design which makes it a better fit on my small desktop. The rotary knobs and sliders are ultra smooth. At $219, the PCR-M50 is priced right. This is the best bang for the buck USB controller.

Check out the PCR-M50 in action in my home setup:
http://www.land.state.az.us/alris/transfers/html/images/desktop.jpg

The whole idea originated after reading Rikki's numerous posts and positive experiences on the Yahoo Group named onemanbandgroup. I was curious to try out for myself if a software arranger would work as well as a hardware arranger. I downloaded the demos of One Man Band version 8.0 and Busker version 2.0. I was impressed and ordered them from Jos Maas who is a wonderful guy and brilliant software programmer.

I am using an Edirol SD-90 Studio Canvas as my sound source. The GM/GS MIDI files sound perfect when played back through this and doubles as an XGlite sound module for OneManBand.

I found this nifty BTC 6100 Ultraslim USB keyboard for triggering the voice/style changes for OneManBand. This keyboard has a small footprint and fits well next to the PCR-M50.

I am using the Contour ShuttleXpress to act as a transport for Sonar. The PCR-M50 works as an excellent control surface for Sonar. For those who are interested in using this, here are the details of how I got it setup. Both the SD-90 and PCR-M50 are connected to my XP desktop through USB cables.

The PCR-M50 does not need any external power. It is powered by the USB cable.

I made these setting in Sonar:

MIDI Inputs

1:EDIROL PCR1
1:EDIROL PCR2

MIDI Outputs

EDIROL SD-90 PART A
1:EDIROL PCR

To make the PCR-M50 behave as a control surface I had
to make these settings:

Device: Cakewalk Generic Surface

In Port:
1:EDIROL PCR2

Out Port:
1:EDIROL PCR

I made a Custom Preset and configured the assignable controls
on the PCR-M50 as follows:

Rotary Knobs:
R1, R2, R3, R4 = Pan for tracks 1, 2, 3, 4
R5, R6, R7, R8 = Chorus (Aux Send 1 Level) for tracks 1, 2, 3, 4

Sliders:
S1, S2, S3, S4 = Volume for tracks 1, 2, 3, 4
S5, S6, S7, S8 = Reverb (Aux Send 2 level) for tracks 1, 2, 3, 4

Buttons:
B1, B2, B3, B4 = Solo for tracks 1, 2, 3, 4
B5 = Bank Move Left
B6 = Bank Move Right

L1 = Stop
L2 = Play
L3 = Forward

The SD-90 and PCR-M50 came with its own dedicated PC Editors. I am pleased to report that the XP drivers and PC Editors installed without a hitch. All of the following devices and programs are working like a seamless tool:

Edirol SD-90
Edirol PCR-M50
Sonar
OneManBand 8.0
Busker 2.0
Contour ShuttleXpress
BTC 6100 Ultraslim keyboard

The advantage of using a hardware sound module is that there is absolutely no latency when using OMB. The chord recognition and note triggering is lightening fast. It feels like playing a hardware arranger. I have just begun to enjoy the thousands of Yamaha PSR styles.

My next step will be to try out the Sound Fonts explained in full details by Frank, Rikki et-all on this thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/011663.html

Many thanks to Frank Rosenthal, Rikki King and Jos Maas for opening up a whole new world of Softsynths, SoundFonts and Software Arrangers. I am thrilled with the results so far.

Cheers,

Tapas

PS: Michael - The PCR-M50 key-action is a big jump over the M-Audio 461C. You will be very happy.

#156506 - 10/19/05 07:43 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Tapas, you will never look back....the world of music is yours to shape.

#156507 - 10/19/05 08:15 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
The only midi controller keyboard that I have really checked out in person was the Edirol. I can tell you the key action is ideal.

Scott Langholff

#156508 - 10/20/05 08:56 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tapas,
it's great to hear that you got yourself all sorted out.
Your PCR-M50 sounds interesting. I'm still using my Clavinova as my controller as I mainly play piano for melody, but I had been considering a small usb keyboard for my laptop for portability when away from home.
It's one I'll definately check out.

If I'm not mistaken, you already have an Audigy soundcard? which will make using soundfonts quite simple.
I'm using an Audigy 2 NX external USB card for my laptop and it sounds quite good.
It's not as flexible as my software setup for fonts ,consisting of Forte, ASIO4all, midiyoke etc etc
but using audigy for the fonts is simpler.

Interesting to note, the SD90 has an xglite sound setup?? as well as gs/gm. That should make the drums in the psr styles more compatible than if it only had gm/gs drum sounds.

One great thing about OMB is that you can have more than one midi out source and you can choose which channel plays what.
For instance I set midi channel 1 to USB
( clavinova ) for my piano melody sound.
Channels 10 to 16 ( style channels) I set individually to either usb( clavinova) or to my soundfont device. I don't appear to get latency either.

Welcome to the world of software arrangers, it's amazing what can be done with OMB.

Actually I've got Frank & AJ to thank for introducing me to the world of softsynths.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tapas:
[B]Hi,

I am using an Edirol SD-90 Studio Canvas as my sound source. The GM/GS MIDI files sound perfect when played back through this and doubles as an XGlite sound module for OneManBand.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#156509 - 10/20/05 10:10 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Rikki,

You will be very happy with the Edirol PCR-M50 if you are looking for a cheap, portable and small USB controller with a professional key feel. This is exactly like the Roland Fantom X6 without the aftertouch.

I will try out the sound fonts on my Audigy2 soundcard.

I became a member of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDPCR/
This group deals with the Edirol PCR series of keyboards.

I also joined http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/HOMESEQUENCERS/
This group has some good info on soundfonts and how to use them with sequencers.
The owner, Ian Bennett is a great guy. He has written some extensive tutorials for free download.

The Edirol SD-90 Studio Canvas is the flagship of Roland's SoundCanvas lineup. Roland went all the way into making a self-contained unit that combines a stellar GM/GM2/GS sound set with a 2x2 MIDI interface, a 24-bit/48KHz audio interface and a USB link to a host computer.

Because it is all hardware, there is zero latency. Plus there is zero noise. The unit is detached from the internals of the PC. They included XGlite support. XG MIDI files sound with the proper voices, but the effects are not quite right. XG drums sound ok.

I am getting myself a Yamaha MU100 XG sound module to get full XG compatibility. The OMB styles derived from the Yamaha PSR series will play back better through this.

You are correct. OMB in version 8.0 allows you to hook up a different sound module to every MIDI track.

I think the SD-90 with its GM2/GS sound set and the MU100 with its XG sound set will have my bases covered. Then I can explore the added realism through specialized sound fonts and software samples. I am very pleased with the Garritan Personal Orchestra Collection.

Frank and AJ are the true pioneers. Thanks to this newsgroup, we are all benefiting from their research and experimentation. There is so much to learn and explore!

Regards,

Tapas

#156510 - 10/21/05 05:35 AM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller

Tapas & Rikki you are well on your way to a fun musical journey.....you can't lose!!!

#156511 - 10/21/05 01:18 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Dnj Offline

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcrm80.html

Ive been looking at this model Edirol PCR M80

suppposed to be improved keyfeel? anyone using one.........plus I like the black color

#156512 - 10/21/05 01:38 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller

Dnj, I have not tested this controller keyboard but it looks good re: the spec. I have heard from various sources that the M-Audio keyboards are not so good when it comes to their velocity responses (soft vs hard). It presents a problem with percussive type instruments, e.g., piano.

#156513 - 10/21/05 01:44 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Dnj Offline

Frank....Im trying also to find a store that stocks them too we'll ses soon.......what have you tried in a 61 key controller?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online