SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156380 - 11/18/02 06:20 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
trtjazz Offline

Dano,
Reverb and chorus are about the only effects I ever use...and a bit of delay on some of my instruments.

I use a TC electronics G force for my Cathedral reverb going in, and a mixure of that and delay for my instruments. I use a touch chorus from the AW always on vocals, which almost acts like a slapback delay and just "thickens" the vocals or instrument up a bit.
jam on,
Terry

#156381 - 11/18/02 06:22 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
trtjazz Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lou Y:
[B] Hi Dan
I record all of my material onto a pc. Just a few months ago I changed platforms and switch to a G4 power Mac.
I now am using Digital Performer 3 for all of my midi and audio. For my audio Motu 896 and midi a Motu midi Express 16 port. I use all of the softwares on board effects, and I also use a 737 Avalon tube compressor. It all comes together seamlessly (audio-midi) since I changed to my Mac.
Regards, Lou [B][QUOTE]

Lou,
The Motu's are supposed to be the top of the line. Works good does it? Do you have any of your work up anywhere? I'd love to hear it.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-18-2002).]

#156382 - 11/18/02 06:32 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
How about utilizing your keyboard ?

I have been working on this song called "get it right " using a r&b style at 138 bpm . I locked the tempo and used an arpegiated loop from a techno style (isolating just part 1,2,3 ..no drums or bass) and added a seperate ( using techno style) track over top of the r&b style . With sync start and tempo lock , it's easy to add different parts of styles layered together on seperate tracks .
Another example would be taking a guitar strum from one style and mixing it with a latin style on a seperate audio track .
Keep jammin !
dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-18-2002).]

#156383 - 11/18/02 06:44 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Dnj Offline

hey Lou Y,

How do you like the G4 mac vs PC ? I hear good things about the mac.

#156384 - 11/18/02 06:47 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
dongggoi Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA
When I had my SK76, I used to use some of the styles as the actual instrumentation for on one of my old songs. It turned out to be pretty good, sounded as if everything was painstakingly arranged. I routed the signals straight into my old (new at the time) VS 840 and used the stereo tracks 7 & 8 for everything that came out of the keyboard. All the mixing of the instruments was done on the SK (even automated MIDI levels) so that I could concentrate on the addition of other instruments or voices to the limited number of tracks I had left. Pretty good results. I did some bouncing to make room for more backup vocals, and despite the lack of tracks, it didn't sound like it.

[This message has been edited by dongggoi (edited 11-18-2002).]

#156385 - 11/18/02 07:38 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Terry,
I've been very pleased with the performance of the 896. The quality I think is very good for what I do and the overall Effects I get from my software, which I am also very pleased. I'm not a very good keyboard player at all. I sing and have been singing since I was 9 yrs old. Played with a lot of top acts and did the circuit, now its just me and my studio. I do have a few small tunes, original, some not complete. I would like to post but I don't have a site....Lou

Donny
All I can say is for the past 6years I've been fighting the pc with all its glitches, hardware problems and incompatibilities, downloading drivers and what have you. Now I turn on my Mac, open Digital Performer 3 hit record and it just all works, it truly has brought me back to writing and creating. Don't get me wrong and I don't want to start a PC/Mac war. PC s work, but for me Mac does it better....Lou

#156386 - 11/19/02 03:22 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
dongggoi Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA
Hello everybody again,

I think it is important to faithfully keep your PC in optimum shape for recording applications. Quite often, we tend to use the PC for everything we do under the sun, and that works most of the time, but when you start getting into serious audio work, then all the other settings and drivers that were loaded into the computer for tons of other programs do get in the way of the audio recording process. Even though I have a pretty capable Athlon 2000, I make sure that I don't do anything else with it other than audio or video work. All the other stuff, such as surfing and document production, I do on another PC. And this might be overkill, but I actually try to close any TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) programs that might still be running in the background. This includes not even connecting the computer to the Internet, to save on processor cycles. This generally results in seamless audio work. Now if I could only improve on my own mixing skills.........!

#156387 - 11/19/02 11:21 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I usually create all my backing arrangements on a Korg i30
arranger and fly the MIDI sequences to Logic Audio running
on a Dell Laptop for further editing/revoicing.

Logic plays back the polished MIDI sequences through
a series of external sound moudules and synths and
all the volumes and pan settings are automated and
fine tuned with Logic Control.

A Mackie LM3204 mixer acts as an audio patch bay and
feeds directly into an Alesis ML-9600 Masterlink hard
disk recorder for final mastering.

I have a few pictures of my setup here:
http://silverhawk33.tripod.com/glenskorgsite/id25.html

Regards,

Tapas

#156388 - 11/20/02 12:28 AM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Calypso Offline

Loc: Switzerland, Europe
Took one look at your system Tapas.
Have decided to take up farming!

------------------
John

#156389 - 11/20/02 01:48 AM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
[B]
I have found that the onboard effects of the hdr are a great improvement vs. the keyboard.
dano
[B]

Dan,
so you mean that the Zoom has better effects than the SD1?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online