SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156370 - 11/18/02 09:20 AM Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
We have many people recording with their arranger keyboards . Can we get a break down on what everyone is using ?

Any interesting ideas or advantages using your arranger via computer software ?

How are you handling audio tracks into your computer ? Type of sound card etc ....?

Personally , I like using a hard disk recorder . I sold my tascam 788 and bought a zoom 1044 hdr . 10 tracks , 20 gigs , 24bit and real time control of each channel ( no page turning ) . I am real close to tweaking the last of my recordings and posting mp3's and maybe release a CD .

If I can only keep those dogs from howling , I'd be in great shape .

#156371 - 11/18/02 02:06 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
DanO, I have been using my CTX laptop with Sonic Foundry Acid Pro. with much success. I run the keyboards and mikes into a Mackie mixer , into the laptop[SB16 soundcard].After recording I save as MP3..It is surprising the quality it produces, especially using the lowly Sound Blaster16..Windows 98 SE operating system[much better than XP]..Fran

#156372 - 11/18/02 02:43 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Hi Dan, I record my Korg is-40 one track at a time through a Soundcraft mixer into an Akai DPS-16 hard disc recorder. I do not use any of the effects on the keyboard, I record dry and add effects from the Akai.This makes a huge improvement in the sound over using the built-in reverbs.
I then layer several guitars and vocals over the keyboard backing tracks. The mic preamps in the Soundcraft were also a big step up from the ones in the Akai. I sing through a Studio Profects C-1 microphone into a FMR "really nice compressor" This combo is unbelievable!
This is much better than accuracy, you get flattery! A huge "bigger than life" sound. I have been hanging around pro studios since the mid '70s and I am astonished at the quality available to the masses today. I paid right at $2000 for the recorder,mixer,mic, and compressor, and the quality is great. Now if I could only sing and play up to the quality of my gear!
Bill E

#156373 - 11/18/02 02:44 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
DanO1 Offline

fran ,
So your using mp3's for backing tracks vs. a midi file ? What percentage is MP3 ?

I am going to start using my hard disk recorder on my next gig for my original tunes . It should be interesting .

What are some of the better deals on lap top computers ?

Dan

#156374 - 11/18/02 02:53 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill E:
Hi Dan, I record my Korg is-40 one track at a time through a Soundcraft mixer into an Akai DPS-16 hard disc recorder. I do not use any of the effects on the keyboard, I record dry and add effects from the Akai.This makes a huge improvement in the sound over using the built-in reverbs.

Bill E

Hey Bill ,

I was raving about the Tascam 788 HDR for awhile . But gradually the competition in HDR's heated up . I started searching and found the Zoom 1044 HDR for under $600.00 . That's 10 tracks and 20 gigs .
I have found that the onboard effects of the hdr are a great improvement vs. the keyboard . I can't wait to post some new mp2's + 1 .
I find myself using alot of chorus on my vocals , it just seems to make the vocals smoother . How do you use chorus effects ?

dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-18-2002).]

#156375 - 11/18/02 03:08 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I have been hooking up my keyboard and mics to a Mackie mixer along with a virtualizer. I also hooked up the output of the mixer to a Sony minidisc deck to record. The MD output in turns is hooked up to my external sound card (Sound Blaster extigy) via optical. The extigy interfaces my laptop via USB so the quality is very satisfying to me when I'm using WaveLabs 4.0 to record.
If I don't record "live" straight to wave, the extigy will also serve me as a midi interface to talk to Cakewalk Sonar.
For midi playback at home, I also use a wireless PCMCIA PC card to search for midi files on the web

Claude

#156376 - 11/18/02 03:19 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Dan, I have only used chorus on guitar. I never considered it for vocal but I'm willing to try anything. Seems like it would be a "special effect" type thing. but my vocals need all the help that they can get!
I got my Akai( 16 tracks--20 gig--24k/96khz capable) from Mars for only $899
I have never seen them that low anywhere else and I think somebody goofed! Maybe that is why they are bankrupt!
Bill E

#156377 - 11/18/02 03:44 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
trtjazz Offline

Dan,
I use a Yamaha AW 4416 16 track hard disk recorder one pair of stereo tracks at a time for all my work. I go straight into the recorder.

I do have Sonar and a Delta 44 soundcard with a 4 in/out breakout box and very rarely use either, preferring the realtime and if it's wrong just do it again/punch in/out.
jam on,
Terry

#156378 - 11/18/02 04:19 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Dan,
I use a Yamaha AW 4416 16 track hard disk recorder one pair of stereo tracks at a time for all my work. I go straight into the recorder.

Terry

Which type of effects do you find using the most ?

Does using chorus on vocals make any sense ?

dano

#156379 - 11/18/02 05:03 PM Re: Studio applications with an arranger keyboard
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Hi Dan
I record all of my material onto a pc. Just a few months ago I changed platforms and switch to a G4 power Mac.
I now am using Digital Performer 3 for all of my midi and audio. For my audio Motu 896 and midi a Motu midi Express 16 port. I use all of the softwares on board effects, and I also use a 737 Avalon tube compressor. It all comes together seamlessly (audio-midi) since I changed to my Mac.
Regards, Lou

[This message has been edited by Lou Y (edited 11-18-2002).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online