SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#156245 - 03/19/02 10:33 PM Mic recommendation to use with X1
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I am looking to buy a headset MIC (wireless or not) to use with my X1 mic-input/Vocalizer. I do one man shows and I think having a headset would give me a lot more flexibity to see the buttons I push rather than feel them!!!

I am not looking for something really expensive but at the same time I don't want something that does not sound good. I prefer wireless but since I will be right on the X1 playing and the input is in it then I dont mind wired either.

Please advise,
Thanks

#156246 - 03/20/02 06:47 AM Re: Mic recommendation to use with X1
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Shure has a new wireless UHF system that's only about $400. It's a comfortable headset, and has the same freq specs as an SM58.
I tried using headsets several times, and I just can't do it.
The sacrifice of not being able to cough, sniffle or converse with a client momentarily was too great. IO also had a very difficult time getting the proper dynamics needed for my limited range. I need to work in and away from the mic to compensate for volume changes, and that's impossible with a headset. If you are the type of singer that can "cruise along" at a constant level ..... more power too ya, but I need to whisper, and scream, talk and croon .... all in the same show. A headset cannot give me that flexibility.

#156247 - 03/20/02 07:28 AM Re: Mic recommendation to use with X1
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Samer,
I sell many of the Shure wirless headset UHF systems. The retail price is $737.00 and can be purchased for the price UD mentioned ($399.00). It has both a 1/4"output and a balanced XLR output. UHF has become very reasonably priced lately and is a better choice over VHF for people living in large cities with lots of VHF users.
One other option is I have a couple of audio technica headset VHF pro rack mount wireless systems which are regulary $699.00 and I'm selling for $249.00. These are made in Japan models and are also very good although the headset is not as comfortable as the shure but still very good.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 03-20-2002).]
(Retired 2021)

#156248 - 03/20/02 06:35 PM Re: Mic recommendation to use with X1
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks UD and George,

Actually UD I have my own concerns about the points you mentioned, not quiet the coughing and talking, but the actual volume changes by going in and out on the mic (that is something I also do so I don't know how it will be with a headset). The reason I thought about a headset is because with the kind of music I play, I am constantly chaning sounds, styles, fills, stop, start...(arabic music is very dynamic and variable), so without singing I still get very busy with buttons, but now I am starting to sing at thing restaurant (so I don't know if I will get fired or not lol), but anyway I thought to try a wireless. Apparently the mic's I looked at are not good, because their price range was from $90-$150, not sure if they were wiresless though. One of them I remember was the Audio Technica ATM75 ???

George I will look into those two mics u and UD mentioned and will let you know.

Thanks

#156249 - 03/20/02 09:30 PM Re: Mic recommendation to use with X1
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The ATM75 is ok, but has a reduced bass range. You can doctor up the EQ to add some fullness, but it's still just a mid-range mic. In a pinch, it'll work just fine, but if you are a serious singer .... I doubt that it'll give you the performance you want.

#156250 - 03/20/02 11:19 PM Re: Mic recommendation to use with X1
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks UD...can you throw a few more names at me to check out...the more choices the better the decision (at least for a Mic illeterate person as myself).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online