SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156156 - 08/04/02 05:19 PM psr9000 harmonizer
Mistered41 Offline

I have been trying to use the vocal Harmonizer on my psr9000, but keep getting distortion from instrument feeding back through my microphone. I play bass lines for a 4 piece band and it seems that the bass is the biggest problem. I'm guessing that I should be using the compressor, but I donot know anything about these settings. Could someone please give me some suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. Ed

#156157 - 08/04/02 09:52 PM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
ED,
It sounds like the volume of your internal speakers is too loud in relation to the mic volume. Try this:

Connect the loop outs on the PSR to the audio INs of an external mixer, then take the MIXER outs, and run into the Loop IN on the PSR. If the mixer has dual outputs, send one set to the main speakers/amps and the other will be the signal sent to the Yamaha internal speakers. In this loop fashion - the volume knob on the PSR is now a master volume for the MONITOR sound only (internal; spkrs) Neat, huh? You can actually turn the monitors OFF to do a sound check or avoid feedback .... works like a charm - wish the PA80 had it.

#156158 - 08/05/02 04:02 AM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Mistered41 Offline

Dave,

Thanks for the advise I'll give it a try.

Just curious though, do you know anything about the compressor on the 9000? I have no idea how a compressor works or what it actually does. Thanks again.

Ed

#156159 - 08/05/02 07:06 AM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used the compressor/limiter on the 9000 some, as I now do on the 2000. I just use the factory presets and it works fine.
What you need to try is probably the Noise Gate. By activating it, you set the volume level necessary for the mic to pick up and reproduce sounds. By playing with the Noise Gate level, you can most likely eliminate the feedback problems.
The Compressor can actually ADD to the feedback problem, because it will try to amplify weak sounds enough for them to be heard. In other words, if you are not singing or speaking into the mic, the compressors "looks" for input and will attempt to raise the level of whatever it "hears".
Make sense?
DonM

#156160 - 08/05/02 06:49 PM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Hi Ed,
Compressors are prone to love/hate relationships among users. The design of a compressor is to "level" out all the outer edges of the dynamic range (high volumes and low volumes)and "squash" them into a more constant level, somewhere in the middle.

This allows for very little volume change with dynamics, but takes away some potentially dangerous loud peaks. It's a trade off, for sure.

In practical application - it's nice to have most of the material played at or near the same volume level, but that gets boring after a while. The most human element we can add to a performance is dynamic changes - take THAT away and it sounds canned or programmed. No life, if it's all the same level.

Much of the music in the top 40 radio world is highly compressed so that EVERYthing is loud and steady. Great for dancing, or to cover up the lack of talent in a weak performer. Ever hear a car comercial that WASN'T extra loud ?

As a solo perfromer, compression can be used to enhance the vocals if used in moderation. Try the factory settings first, and sing different volume levels - see which sounds the most natural. It's a very sensitive subject, and too much compression will make a signal sound just terrible.

I never compress in a live show, but in my studio I use it at a very slight level to allow more signal to enter the recorder. This improves the quality of the overall recording, and makes mixing much easier if no signals are bouncing into the red zone.

If your vocals tend to blare out in sudden volume changes - a compressor will help smooth out the level. If you are a more controlled singer, and can achieve the desired effect by mic technique - maybe you will not need to use it.

#156161 - 08/06/02 06:43 PM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Mistered41 Offline

Dave & Don,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and helping a fellow musician. Both answers make sense and I'm sure now that I have an understanding of what the function(s) of the noise gate and compressor do.

I've owned the psr9000 for about a year, but have stayed away from the harmonizer since I have been doing mostly 3 & 4 piece band work. I have done some soloing, but the band work has keep me quite busy. I thought that since we usually have 2 or 3 vocalist (including myself) in the group that I just laid out the harmonies and we sang live. About 2 weeks ago I heard an excellent 4 piece (50's and 60' rock)group and all players had excellent voices, but they used a harmonizer on nearly every backup, along with their own voices. Talk about impressive, I was amazed. Since then I have decided to incorporate the harmonizer into our band situation. Have either of you of gentlemen heard groups using harmonizers to fatten their vocals?

Ed

PS how can I find out what the factory settings are on the noise gate and compressor sections. I've been changing them and I would like to start from square one. Thanks again for all of your help.

#156162 - 08/06/02 09:06 PM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
To reset the values to factory settings, you can press the + and - buttons at the same time, after selecting the paramater to be reset.
I have heard a couple of duos and trios use the harmonizer to good advantage. I used the 8000 harmonizer with the 6-piece band doing the Miss Teenage America pageant a few years ago.
It works anytime you need additional voices. If the arranger isn't running, you set the harmonizer to Vocoder mode.
DonM

#156163 - 08/07/02 05:10 AM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Mistered41 Offline

Thanks Don.

Ed

#156164 - 08/07/02 02:13 PM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Ed,
My primary concern has always been vocals. even when we had small bands years ago ... it was imperitive that the harmonies be tight. I'll hire a great singer that plays "ok" before I'll hire an "ok" singer that plays great.

With THAT said:
I often invite area performers up on my stage to sing and I love providing a 4 part vocal group behind them. We do lots od DooWap, and 4 freshman type arrangements .... even if the original song was not done that way. I stress the vocals on every number, and consider the harmonizer to be an invaluable tool.

Because of the importance of the vocal arrangements - I use my right hand to trigger the chords that are harmonized so I can add the finer nuances and passing tones needed for that fat, Manhatten Transfer sound. I pattern my vocal arrangements after groups that really feature the harmony as ONE, and not as backup. Like the Carpenters, the Beatles, The Eagles, 4 fresman, 4 Aces .... that sort of vocal styles.

Many new users tend to OVERuse a harmopnizer, and it takes away from it's effectivness, but when used with taste and moderation .... it's a great way to avoid the boredom of working a solo (or small band) situation. Even now, as a soloist I do Beach Boys, Mills Brothers, Andrews Sisters ..... It's a great addition. And if you do dance music - try the "octave down" voice on a Barry White or Lou Rawls tune. The crowd eats that stuff up.

Good luck in your journey to vocalLand !

#156165 - 08/08/02 05:15 AM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Mistered41 Offline

Dave,

I couldn't agree more with you on the vocal aspect. I've been fortunate enough to play with some very talented individuals, but most of the bands that had these talented people met with limited success due to their lack of vocal ability. Then again, I've played with bands that were lacking in instrumental talent, but had excellent singers and well you know where I'm going with this.

One of the reason I purchased the 9000 was because it had a built in vocalizer and of course for the health benefits. After all carrying around a PSR9000 for a year I now can bench press over 200 lbs. It just recently, that I've decided to get serious about using the harmonizer, epescially for the solo work. I don't know if I'm just a slow learner, but it seems that using one of these contraptions is not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm sure that all the tinkering will be well worth it though.

Thanks everyone for all your help and if you have any other suggestions I would be very appreciative.

Ed (emurray3@twcny.rr.com)

#156166 - 08/08/02 09:07 AM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Ed,
You have the absolute EASIEST kb to operate. If you have trouble getting around the 9000 - stay away from everything else ! You'll get what you want from it .... hang in there.

#156167 - 08/09/02 03:04 PM Re: psr9000 harmonizer
COMALite J Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA, USA

Don’t forget the most obvious thing: be sure your microphone is as close to a unidirectional microphone as possible (at least cardiod — super-cardiod preferred — and most definitely not an omnidirectional mic) and is pointed directly at your mouth with no other major sound sources anywhere near the line-of-sight from your mouth to the mic (for instance, no speakers behind your head). I recommend a high-quality headset or lapel mic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online