Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#155882 - 01/25/03 04:57 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
tonkan.I own a 9000PRO, but play my local friends Tyros every week.
These are 2 completely different boards.
9000Pro has 76 keys and a better touch and feel to the Tyros.
The OS updates to the Pro (Just downloaded a new one today)
have added a number of good features, unfortunately in their wisdom
Yamaha decided not to include them on the Tyros.
The tyros is a good board and has some advantages over the Pro, but at the present time in some respects it would be a downgrade for me to change it for a Tyros.

Graham UK

What new features did they add to the 9000pro that aren't in the Tyros?

AL G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#155883 - 01/25/03 08:57 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
What new features did they add to the 9000pro that aren't in the Tyros?

AL G

Or vice versa?

#155884 - 01/25/03 11:09 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Al,
this is not a major software upgrade and in fact it's only a 2.03 vs the previous 2.02 (otherwise it would have been something like 3.0).
Speaking of comparisons, I got my 9000 pro about two months ago and I had the choice to buy a Tyros for a little more money (2500 euros for the Tyros without hard disk vs. 2400 for the pro with hard disk). I decided to go for the pro because:
1- I love to play on a 76 notes keyboard (when I play on a 61 notes kb my left hand is constantly trying to reach beyond the physical limit of the keybed)
2- I love the idea of adding more sounds via expansion cards (I have already on order the piano and the VL)
3- I love the idea of having a sampler or at least a sample handling ability
4- Playing the pro and the Tyros side by side I had a definite feeling that some sounds, like the Tenor sax, the sweet trumpet and the flugel were better on the pro. I agree, on the other side, that other sounds (like the sweet oboe or the sweet clarinet) are better on the Tyros, but at least on the pro I have the hope to add these sounds via sampler)
5- The pro has been on the market for two years now and we all know that it takes some time to "iron out" all the bugs from a new keyboard; for the same reason, the pro has quite a bit of hardware support now. I have on order also the USB interface from Musitronics; I have asked about that on the Yahoo Yamaha Group and was reassured that works well and fast.
6- It's true that the Tyros styles are the best Yamaha has ever made, but the same styles are today available on the web and you can tweak 95% of them to work fine on other Yamaha keyboards, especially the 9000 and the pro.
All that said, I think that the Tyros is a fine board and wish to all you Tyros owners to play a lot of great music with it. You see, I am really trying to get beyond the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 01-25-2003).]

#155885 - 01/25/03 11:26 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
Thanks trtjazz! I wish I could get one with speakers and pay that much! Thanks again!

Islander

#155886 - 01/25/03 11:44 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Regarding features on 9000Pro not on Tyros. Dreamer has above provided this answer.
The main feature for me added to the 9000 & 9000Pro was the 3 voice right hand split. Anyone thinking the Tyros has a 3rd voice split are wrong, it has a 2nd right hand split. Which ever way you count it the 9000 & 9000Pro has an extra split compared to the Tyros. I just happen to find this feature very useful particularly having 76 keys. In the UK the 9000Pro can be obtained at a $1000 less than the Tyros. The Mega voices on the Tyros are impossible to play and are only suitable in the dedicated accompaniments.
I like the Tyros and wish all Tyros owners happy playing, but as I have already stated for me the Pro is the better board.

Graham UK

#155887 - 01/26/03 07:49 AM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Some other 9000 Pro features not found on the Tyros:

1. The 9000 Pro is a sampler. Samples can load automatically with midi files.
2. Four assignable outputs on the Pro in addition to the stereo outs vs. two on the Tyros.
3. The 9000 Pro has two plugs for gooseneck Littlelites - a wonderful feature that truly illuminates the entire keyboard and the music rack. The music rack is low enough on the 9000 Pro that I can use it without blocking me from being seen by the audience, unlike the Tyros.
4. XLR lo-impedence mic input vs. the high impedence mic input of the Tyros. All pro mics are low impedence so you have to use an adapter on the Tyros.

A word on the expansion cards the 9000 Pro uses: I own four, the PF, AN, DX, and VL. I love the PF piano expansion the most because I rely on the piano heavily, it's warm and the PF card adds 64-note polyphony to the 9000 Pro. I also use the DX expansion a lot with it's 16 notes of polyphony. The AN analog synth card is ok but I don't need analog synths very often and it only has five notes of polyphony. The VL is my least favorite because it is monophonic and more suited to people who use wind controllers. I didn't find the sounds of the VL to be significantly better than those already found on the 9000 Pro. Since I normally keep the PF and DX card installed in my 9000 Pro, the polyphony is 128+64+16=208.

To answer the original question - I don't think it's even close: the 9000 Pro is the better value.

#155888 - 01/26/03 09:09 AM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Al,
. You see, I am really trying to get beyond the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 01-25-2003).]

Seems to me after reading all the response and listening to the perceived tone of them, that is exactly what we're doing here, having a bit of a big boys peeing contest.

So.....to join in on the big boys fun.
A sampler for me on board is useless. The vast majority of on board sampler owners say they have to have them but rarely if ever use them.

Sockets for gooseneck lamps....so what.The Tyros's keys all light up for the spectacular display.

The music stand is too high on the Tyros, give me a break. One should have their music memorized anyway.

There are a total of 4 outputs on the Tyros that are all independantly assignable for the different parts.

The expansion boards can be nice...with the exception of the VL in my opinion which has 1 note polyphony that I found absolutely restrictive. On top of which there are tons of on board sounds that can be tweeked to no end with the sound software. Once again reality is that we all probably use perhaps a dozen sounds over and over again on any board.

The xlr mic input is nice but not a mandatory thing to produce spectacular vocals. On top of which if one wants real good clean vocals they should run them outside of the board anyway.

So....I still maintain as with my earlier post, they are both excellent boards and what it all boils down to are the sounds and styles that excite each of us. The rest of this tripe is all just stuff.
jam on,
Terry

------------------
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-26-2003).]

#155889 - 01/26/03 10:17 AM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
A sampler for me on board is useless. The vast majority of on board sampler owners say they have to have them but rarely if ever use them.

The advantage of the 9000 Pro's sampler is the ability to load the sample w/midi file from the HD. Backup vocal parts and effects are very easy with this.

Quote:

Sockets for gooseneck lamps....so what.The Tyros's keys all light up for the spectacular display.

On a pitch-black stage between songs, those lights let your read all the labels and control indicators, plus your music, set lists and other things. The 9000 Pro glows very brightly on stage - the whole keyboard, not just a few buttons. I wish this feature was on a lot more of my keys.

Quote:

The music stand is too high on the Tyros, give me a break. One should have their music memorized anyway.

I learn songs at too great a rate for this. I learned nine songs yesterday for example, and have to play six nights a week currently so my memorizing is done on stage. I also sit in with other bands where music is not optional. The 9000 Pro's music stand is a necessity. Without it I'd be carrying a music stand and light and taking up more stage room with it.

Quote:

There are a total of 4 outputs on the Tyros that are all independantly assignable for the different parts.

The 9000 Pro has six if you are going to look at them that way - all assignable.

Quote:

The expansion boards can be nice...with the exception of the VL in my opinion which has 1 note polyphony that I found absolutely restrictive. On top of which there are tons of on board sounds that can be tweeked to no end with the sound software. Once again reality is that we all probably use perhaps a dozen sounds over and over again on any board.

Because I sequence a lot, I use not only more than a dozen sounds but I use a lot of polyphony at any given time. The ability to get more than 128 notes of polyphony was the first thing that drew me to the 9000 Pro since it replaced two stage keyboards for me.

Quote:

The xlr mic input is nice but not a mandatory thing to produce spectacular vocals. On top of which if one wants real good clean vocals they should run them outside of the board anyway.

The other thing that drew me to the 9000 Pro was the fact that I could use it on stage without an additional mixer. I get good clean vocals with my 9000 Pro and no mixer.

Quote:

So....I still maintain as with my earlier post, they are both excellent boards and what it all boils down to are the sounds and styles that excite each of us. The rest of this tripe is all just stuff.
jam on,
Terry

While I respect both boards and your opinion, it is the ability to discuss their advantages here that allows us to learn, grow, and choose what works best for each of our unique applications. That's hardly "tripe".

[/QUOTE]

#155890 - 01/26/03 01:03 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
BOTH the Tyros & 9000pro are terrific keyboards, and both have their individual strengths, so choosing between them imo will depend more on what YOUR specific needs are. The BIG determining factor (for me) in going with the Tyros is the dimensional size and substantially lower weight (27lbs vs 50 lbs). I also hear a marked improvement in the sound of Tyros styles played on the Tyros. The Tyros styles sound to me, smoother & richer, and more alive, possibly because its improved midi timing resolution (1,920 ppq). The Tyros styles, played on a 9000pro, will not sound as impressive compared to played on the Tyros itself, because: 1) the 9000pro doesn't include mega voices, and more importantly, does not support the higher 1,920 midi timing resolution that these Tyros styles were recorded at.

I realize that the 9000pro offers sampling as well as supoprts 3 different voices for the RT part, but being primarily a performing keyboard player, these features are not as important for me.

Like the Pro, I usually take a portable music stand to gigs. I agree that the Tyros music stand is set too high, and wish the Tyros had a music stand more like the 9000pro. I too have a large repetoire, so feel a lot more secure having a lyric/leadsheet chord chart handy to refer to if needed, yet focus 99% of my attention on the audience. A fakebook is also an invaluable tool for satsifying audience requests for songs you may be familar with, but may not remember all the chords/words to, and being able to play an obsure audience request will certainly bring in substantially increased tips.

I don't know how MANY songs others of you have committed FULLY to memory, but for me the only way I can perform MANY hundreds of songs on the fly is to be able to at least have a leadsheet or chord chart handy to glance at (if needed) when performing.

On the Tyros, I'm also getting good clean vocals without the need for an additional outboard mixer.

To solve the lack of a gooseneck lamp sockets on my keyboard, I use a LittLite brand gooseneck halogen lamp:
http://www.littlite.com/product.php?id=25

with it's base attached to the keyboard using the 'industrial strength' velcro which is included with the lamp. Works GREAT.

In the end, select the keyboard which satsifys your individual needs best. The Tyros fullfills mine.

- Scott

#155891 - 01/26/03 01:15 PM Re: Tyros vs 9000pro price
The Pro Offline

I'm with you Scott - Super Bowl fever has our adrenaline up. Good idea with the attached lights.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online