SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#155810 - 08/29/07 11:49 AM Re: Improving left hand skills
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, here is a easy solution..We have a SZ family here that includes many trained pianist[including classical]..Let's see some left hand bass demos from these folks..[You and Scott are welcome to demo].

Then we can judge if you are right or I am right..No demos, or a few ..I am right...Many demos ..I am wrong..

Want to make a wager/..

#155811 - 08/29/07 12:25 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Come on Fran... you know you got about as much chance of getting Ian to agree with you as you have of getting Bush to admit he goofed in Iraq...

The thing is, training only goes so far... Sure, all 'competent' players (and teachers!) will have had some instruction in how to do LH bass, maybe even read it off a chart, but how many actually sit down (or stand up ) and DO IT, much of the time?

Theory, and instruction only get you so far. You want to develop as a LH bass player...? Do it constantly for several months. Turn OFF the arranger parts, just use the drums, and play LH bass, RH comp and solos. FOR MONTHS... THEN, you'll get a feel for it. Want to get it faster? Join a band, and HAVE to do it every night!

You MIGHT have got some instruction in this IF you were lucky enough to a) get a good teacher and b) actually get enough time with them that they got around to walking basslines (remember, a lot of the adults here get instruction on their arranger, NOT a full piano), but it isn't exactly a skill that the average player gets to grips with until he has been taught for several years.

And you look at most classical music, the LH does NOT play the bassline... It plays a combination of bass notes, arpeggiation, chording and high end stuff, too. About the only time you see a 'pure' bassline is a two part Invention. Not exactly the best practice for playing a bassline in a band!

The thing we have to try and remember, here, is that this is NOT a 'pro' forum. Many of the members here may have had VERY little formal training. Some are still limited to One Finger Chord mode Advice needs to be offered that can be of benefit to a wide range of skill levels. It isn't of much help to say to someone that asks about how to do something that "Left hand bass comes naturally to any competent piano player..."

Tell me this isn't what you say to YOUR students when they ask a question, Ian...

#155812 - 08/29/07 12:26 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I get a sense you are starting to realize you're wrong, Fran...you've painted yourself into a corner and you are desperate to find a way out of it.

Sorry, I don't make wagers, and I don't need to prove anything to you.

You make the contest...you make the rules...ah....what a joke.

Even though you're wrong, I STILL think you're a great guy.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 08-29-2007).]

#155813 - 08/29/07 12:42 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I get a sense you are staring to realize you're wrong, Fran...

And I get the sense you are starting to realize you are ALWAYS right, Ian...

Now that Gonzales is gone, Bush is looking for someone else that is NEVER wrong... You got any legal training (not that you need it for Attorney General, these days!)?

#155814 - 08/29/07 12:50 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
. oops double post

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-29-2007).]

#155815 - 08/29/07 12:50 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
And I get the sense you are starting to realize you are ALWAYS right, Ian...

Now that Gonzales is gone, Bush is looking for someone else that is NEVER wrong... You got any legal training (not that you need it for Attorney General, these days!)?

Gee Diki, why would you say that?

I've been wrong many times, and of course, I always admit it, no problem.

Let's see....there was the time I bought a Roland E-70...

Then, there was the time I honestly took you seriously....

Mmmmm...I'll think of a few more and maybe I'll get back to you later.

The only Gonzales I know of was the cartoon character, "Speedy"....the little mouse who was really intense and ran very fast.

Reminds me of you, actually.

Now, smile Diki...it won't hurt you...honest!

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 08-29-2007).]

#155816 - 08/29/07 12:51 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I am a great guy..but I am also right..

#155817 - 08/29/07 12:53 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Theory, and instruction only get you so far. You want to develop as a LH bass player...? Do it constantly for several months. Turn OFF the arranger parts, just use the drums, and play LH bass, RH comp and solos. FOR MONTHS... THEN, you'll get a feel for it.

Yep, I gotta totally concur with Diki here. Luckily, both my piano teachers cited above, and who remain nationally renowned gigging pro keyboardists, have always pushed (required) their students to do exactly that.

B4 discovering the financial income benefit of arrangers, I played acoustic piano & sang in jazz combos and learned perhaps more from those working seasoned musicians (on the job) than I ever did from books.

motto: The best way to become a better musician is work & play with musicians better (and more experienced) than yourself.

Scott

#155818 - 08/29/07 12:54 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
Diki Offline

Unfortunately, so many here buy arrangers so that they can get away from other musicians!

A REAL bassplayer might get drunk now and then, or hit on the cocktail waitresses, or play too loud now and again, or want to play Weather Report all the time, but you will learn a LOT more from him that the A. BASS section in your arranger!

#155819 - 08/29/07 12:54 PM Re: Improving left hand skills
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, I am a great guy..but I am also right..

No, Fran, you're delusional...that's not the same thing.

But you are right...you are a nice guy.

Ian

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online