SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#155749 - 03/21/06 08:47 AM Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
Mistered4111 Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I'm looking into purchasing a Vocal Harmonizer and I have some concerns. I have a Tyros and find the Harmonizer unusable in live situations. Too much garble caused by the mic picking up the music and regurgeitating it.

First, is this a problem with all Harmonizers?

Secondly, if so is there anyway of fixing it?

Lastly, if all harmonizers do not have this problem and can minimize it, which ones would you recommend?

I would be using this in a single, duo or three pcs situation mostly for live work but I would want to use in recording demos also.

I know many of you are pros and I highly respect your opinion(s). BTW my budget would be $1000.00 or less.(prefably less)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may provide.

Ed

#155750 - 03/21/06 09:12 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The BEST is what works best for YOU, with YOUR gear, and satisfies YOUR desires ...

You really need to get out and test a few ... the most common mentioned here are the digitech: http://www.digitech.com/
and tc helicon: http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoiceWorks

The fact that you are picking up the music through your mic may have more to do with the mic than with the Ty harmonizer ...
What are you using?

t.

#155751 - 03/21/06 09:18 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mistered4111:
have a Tyros and find the Harmonizer unusable in live situations.

I too had experienced Tyros vocalizer 'harmony' problems (occasional harmony mistracking (off key) and/or go in & out) . Luckily, I've now since found the SOLUTION to the problem, of which involed making a simple 'mic setting' change adjustment.

Previously, I had my

Mic Settings > Vocal Range, set to: "NORMAL". I've since changed this to: "LOWER" and now my keyboard's vocal harmonies track correctly and sound pretty clean and clear. The "NORMAL" setting is a 'compromise setting' to accomodate BOTH male & female voices, but the "LOWER" setting is more specifically targeted for optimizing VH to a lower (baritone/bass) voice like mine.

Though my TC Helicon "VoiceWorks" sounds perhaps better, I'm now very content with the Tyros Vocal Harmony results for live performance, and even find it acceptable (in some instances) for song recording as well.

Ed, before going out and spending extra $ on an external VH, please try my suggestion and let me know your results.

Good luck.

Scott

#155752 - 03/21/06 09:29 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ed,

Sounds as if you have a mic problem more than anything else. What mic are you using?

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#155753 - 03/21/06 09:42 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?

Don Rich was good.
:}
DonM

#155754 - 03/21/06 09:59 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
The mic is a problem!! You need a mic that you have to sing straight into to pick-up your voice. If it is a wide range pick-up mic it won't work no matter what brand it is or how much it cost. I find the Shure Sm58 works great for me.

I had this problem 4 years ago when I started playing again and the local music store explained this to me. They were right

#155755 - 03/21/06 10:10 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
Dnj Offline

Lower your MIC gain pod to 9 o'clock

#155756 - 03/21/06 11:15 AM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I use a TC voicelive, and it's the best by far, it sounds crystal clear, sounds real, built in limiter compression and effects,

Well worth the money, even has an instrument input so it can be used as a mixer. Built in pedals, the thing is worth it, and you can sell your keybaord and get a new one and all your settings stay.

I have officially retired onboard vocal harmonizers from my lists

#155757 - 03/21/06 01:37 PM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Look at this site > http://www.michelvoncken.com/
Go to video and look at the vocal harmony workshop, it is in german but you can look to the display settings and listen to the examples.

Regards,
Arno.

#155758 - 03/21/06 02:47 PM Re: Which is the best Vocal Harmonizer?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You can translate the information into English by Clicking Here and then enter the web site information.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online