SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15551 - 04/24/00 10:24 AM GEM Owner(SK880PS)
Gregg Bizier Offline

Loc: Plainville, MA
Hello All:

I have to agree with the majority of posts contained here within. There appears to be a lack of interest in GEM. It's kind of funny what one guy said, something to the effect that GEM boards don't have as many problems that need addressing. It's still good to know that there are a few of us GEM users.

Dan, sorry to hear about your bum battery and button. See, you should have powered that bad boy up sooner! BTW, that company got in touch with me after realizing they sent me 2 extra mem. modules(go figure).

SK880user, I've seen similar things on my boards when doing loops. The OS seems real temperamental about doing too many things at once. When I start making alot of changes, I know it'll lead to a re-boot. Not even the >help>panic feature can get you out of some of these binds. I find that alot of bass notes get stuck, especially when playing the pedalboard and 'fat-footing' the notes.

One thing that I'm having difficulty doing is assigning different sounds to the pedalboard. Are any of you overly familar with the 'soundpatch/drumkit' editor? One of you had mentioned an instructional book as a supplement to the manual. Please let me know if you ever come across a copy of 'GEM for Dummies'.

I've had a GEM for about six months now. I don't devote 100% of my musical time to keyboards so I don't I have the chance to mess around with mine probably as much as some of you. I'll check posts here and try to be of any help that I can. In the meantime, I hope to see many more informative posts from all of you.

Regards, Gregg

#15552 - 04/24/00 01:45 PM Re: GEM Owner(SK880PS)
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Greg,

speaking of stuck notes, I got this twice already. They were on the higher octaves.

The way I got out of it is:

1) rebooting

2) pressing the STOP button twice [style STOP button not the song STOP one]

That already worries me.

I recently installed the 8MB of backed DRAM. the default 2MEG is not good enough.

My keyboard is the powerstation one; I also installed the vocal harmony expansion. However, by doing that, you cannot expand the memory of the keyboard because memory slots can either be used for vocal processor or memory simms but not both.

#15553 - 04/24/00 05:31 PM Re: GEM Owner(SK880PS)
DannyJay Offline

Loc: Merritt Island, FL, USA
RE: SK880user 32 meg sims

I have the SK760 with the vocal processor and 32 meg. Read the instructins very close. There is mention on how the jumpers must be set if you choose to use the board with the vocal processor and 32 meg of simms.

Did you assume that it could not be done because the vocal processor came with two memory cards ... or did a tech tell you this.

#15554 - 04/25/00 06:14 AM Re: GEM Owner(SK880PS)
Gregg Bizier Offline

Loc: Plainville, MA
Do you know about the other way to get notes unstuck? You press the button(it's just to the right of the page up/down on the right of the display). Press that and there's an arrow that point's to one of the page buttons. I can't remember which one, but it's the one closest to the display. This doesn't work on the loop syndrome, though.

Has anybody heard of an OS update for the SK's? I assume this would be the same update for the WK series, as it is the identical OS.

How do you guys like the vocal processor card? What exactly can you do with it? Does it just add effects to the mic input, or does it put harmonies behind it, too?

About the 8MB module, is that battery-backed? If so, is that the only advantage to replacing the 2MB module instead of just adding the (2) 16MB modules?

Regards, Gregg

#15555 - 04/25/00 10:22 AM Re: GEM Owner(SK880PS)
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
DannyJay,

I assumed that because the vocal processor came with two buffer simms that were installed at the same location where the 32 simms would be installed. Now if I took those processor buffer out and placed regular 32 meg simms and changed the jumbers, how would this affect the quality of the vocal processor? Does not the vocal processor require those buffers to work correctly?

Gregg,

-have not heard of any recent update.

-it is ok. I can have complex harmony. I wonder if I need to buy a better phone, or possibly upgrade my "processor buffers" to "memory simms" to improve the sound.

- It is 8 MEG of battery-backed memory and it is worth it.

#15556 - 04/25/00 01:18 PM Re: GEM Owner(SK880PS)
DannyJay Offline

Loc: Merritt Island, FL, USA
SK880 User:

As a response to the following:
I assumed that because the vocal processor came with two buffer simms that were installed at the same location where the 32 simms would be installed. Now if I took those processor buffer out and placed regular 32 meg simms and changed the jumbers, how would this affect the quality of the vocal processor? Does not the vocal processor require those buffers to work correctly?

I am not an expert in regards to the vocal processor. I thought the same thing but I noted in that the instructions addressed using the 32 meg with the vocal processor and I assumed that the board was designed as such. I have not plugged a mike in my system to try it. I currently use a Digitech Studio Vocalsit and purchased the the vocal processor fot future use.

You have good questions and I would like to know the answer as well. Perhaps George Kaye will catch this thread and respond.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online