SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15543 - 04/21/05 05:25 AM genesys XP
Peter UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi everyone. I've just spent huge bucks on the genesys XP. HAve you seen the manual....'ENGLISH' version??? Its a total disaster. Obviously translated from the original Italian by a 1st Grade modern language student with virtually no understanding of english. I have been in this business for over 30 years and I have NEVER seen such nonsense. What do General Music think they are doing? The XP may be a wondeful product but the manual is a total disaster. If you want a good laugh, have a look at it on Gem's website....www.generalmusic.com I think.

#15544 - 04/21/05 06:44 AM Re: genesys XP
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Peter,

I just gave the manual a quick once-over and I'm drawing a different conclusion. I'm not getting "a total disaster" here. Sure the manual looks rather busy, but it also appears to be technically complete and I for one like that (technical kind of guy, I guess). So to each his own I suppose.

I like the little extra color they used. All the illustrations with detailed text tagged on. So far, so good for me. I'm not having a problem with their use of the English language although I do admit that I'm no expert on the matter.

Was there something more specific you were having a problem with or were you just venting some steam?

Manual not withstanding, how's the XP module workin' out for ya?

-mike

#15545 - 04/21/05 06:59 AM Re: genesys XP
Peter UK Offline

Hi Mike,
I'm in UK and maybe over here we have a different translated version of the manual. Maybe the US manual is OK. I can't believe its the same as ours.
Since I wrote, I discovered Dave's amazing videos!! Have you seen them yet, Mike? They're terrific! Compulsive viewing for all Genyses owners and a credit to Gem's great man Dave.

If you read this, Dave, you've done a superb job. I can' thank you enough...
How's you're Italian - English translation??

#15546 - 04/21/05 07:01 AM Re: genesys XP
Peter UK Offline

By the way, how do you get to be a 'member' rather than just a mere 'junior member'?

#15547 - 04/21/05 07:09 AM Re: genesys XP
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Pete,

You're upgraded to "Memeber" after so many posts (not sure what the number is).

Yep, I did see some of the videos and yes, I thought Dave did an excellent job (so did the Ensemble).

What keyboard are you using to trigger your XP module?

-mike

#15548 - 04/21/05 07:17 AM Re: genesys XP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter UK:
Since I wrote, I discovered Dave's amazing videos!! Have you seen them yet, Mike? They're terrific! Compulsive viewing for all Genyses owners and a credit to Gem's great man Dave.

If you read this, Dave, you've done a superb job. I can' thank you enough...
How's you're Italian - English translation??

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for the compliment.

If I could somehow add another 10-15 hours in a day I would jump right in there and do the English translation for the XP manual. I have the original Italian to English files and actually they are not all that bad. There are a good number of places were the wording could be altered to make it more proper English friendly, but I think the main content is laid out quite well with good graphics and descriptions. Like you mentioned, possibly you have a different version of the manual.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions you may have regarding your Genesys or any of our products.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15549 - 04/22/05 01:14 PM Re: genesys XP
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hey dave, fancy meeting you here!!!
seriously though, whilst the manual has some problems with syntax, which is to be expected in a translation, i find it quite informative on most things, there are some areas that need improvement though...if you can get me the original texts i could go over them and sort out the grammar and syntax, etc etc (i am a journalist after all...and i wont "let the truth get in the way of a good story!!" either...anyhow, it's a serious offer if you want to talk further about it, just PM me on the other forum.

peace, out
dennis

#15550 - 04/25/05 10:27 AM Re: genesys XP
Peter UK Offline

Hi Guys,

I put a sample of the Genesys XP manual on another page in the forum. Have a read....
I use a Fatar TMK88 keyboard. Very basic, but a nice action. I'm mainly a pianist so it suits me fine...and its light fantastic to carry around. Took me a while to figure out TMK transmits on midi ch. 1, so for a while I got nowhere with my new XP as it boots up in Ch. 2 , I think, but thanks to DAVE'S WONDERFUL VIDEOS.... the show is up and running fine now (manual problems excepted, of course!)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online