SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155019 - 10/21/04 10:00 AM If your venue has the t.v. on...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
...and you don't want it on, have one of these in your pocket and discreetly push the button.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...i_te/tv_be_gone

#155020 - 10/21/04 10:04 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Dnj Offline

#155021 - 10/21/04 10:06 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I wonder if he has one for a nagging wife?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#155022 - 10/21/04 10:11 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Here's the website for the device:
http://www.tvbgone.com/

but it was down when I looked with a message that it would be back later today.

I intend to order one ASAP. I am tired of arguing with customers and bartenders about muting the TV when I am playing.

#155023 - 10/21/04 10:37 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
I don't know how crazy you americans are about football on TV but in Portugal live music can't compete with an important soccer match on TV. It's damned crazy! I've seen (actually lived!) and heard about horrible wedding stories. If a much expected game overlaps in time with a wedding celebration, it's more than sure that the party (and everything else) stops. In worst cases, when there's no TV around, the guests can massively leave the celebration very early, to be able to watch the game and will never come back - never happened to me, but I know these are true and not-that-rare stories. The pressure is so strong that many young couples are forced to find a solution to satisfy their guests, fearing they simply abandon the celebration. Crazy, crazy... I don't even dare to think what could happen if somebody used one of these devices during a soccer TV event... -- José.

#155024 - 10/21/04 10:47 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I wonder if he has one for a nagging wife?

Yeah, it's made by Smith & Wesson.

Sorry, I've just been listening to Johnny Cash.

#155025 - 10/21/04 01:24 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Dnj Offline

good way to catch a beating at a bar..

#155026 - 10/21/04 04:55 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
sure glad they haven't invented one to mute OMBs
Eddie

#155027 - 10/21/04 05:06 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
I don't know how crazy you americans are about football on TV but in Portugal live music can't compete with an important soccer match on TV. It's damned crazy! I've seen (actually lived!) and heard about horrible wedding stories. If a much expected game overlaps in time with a wedding celebration, it's more than sure that the party (and everything else) stops. In worst cases, when there's no TV around, the guests can massively leave the celebration very early, to be able to watch the game and will never come back - never happened to me, but I know these are true and not-that-rare stories. The pressure is so strong that many young couples are forced to find a solution to satisfy their guests, fearing they simply abandon the celebration. Crazy, crazy... I don't even dare to think what could happen if somebody used one of these devices during a soccer TV event... -- José.

José,

I also already "lived" 2 or 3 of those stories!! One time they "had" to install a giant tv screen on the room (and another time in another room), so the guests wouldn't leave!! The music (me!) just stopped for 2 hours!!

Luis Santos

#155028 - 10/21/04 08:09 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a very strict policy. I will not perform in locations where they have TVs running, Big Screen TVs running and pool tables. That's why I don't do the bar scene anymore. Besides, the bar and restaurant pay is about $150 for 4 hours of drunks and cigarette smoke. I would much rather play at a retirement center, assisted living center or nursing home for an hour, pick up $100 to $150, perform in the middle of the day, middle of the week and do a couple of these a day. I'm not getting older--just a hell of a lot smarter!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#155029 - 10/22/04 06:51 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's a catch 22 when you talk about bars.

If you want to play private parties, then you can meet lots of potential clients in bars. If you are single, you can often meet other singles there, but as soon as you're attached - you tend to run down the bar "scene". Weird thinking, but true.

Simple truth - the bar is a gathering place. The community watering hole, you know - where everybody knows your name and all ......

I'll share a curious observation with you all. Last night at my steady Thursday restaurant(going on a year now)we were MOBBED. We had three private functions happening at once, and one of them was a rehersal dinner for a 20-somethig couple...maybe 60 people in their crowd alone. Try to tell a few dozen 20 yr olds that Game 7 of the NLCS will not be shown tonight because Uncle Dave is singing.

N*O*T!

The room was loud, crowded, hectic and fun all night. The crowd went back and forth between cheering for the Cardinals and filling my jar with Sinatra requests ( It's an Italian place, remember !)

Bottom line - the room was alive, the ca$h register played the owner's favorite tune, I played the customer's favorite tunes and we all had a great time. And two former Phillies All Stars are now headed for the World Series. Life is good.

As much as we all love attention, the local watering hole is not a concert venue. It's a shared space for community gatherings, and if you are fortunate enough to have an owner that supports the arts by having music, then count your blessings, count your money and entertain your audience as best you can. We're all capable of doing many things at once.

Heck - it's the very ESSENCE of the OMB concept!!!

Well, the audience likes variety and that's why there are often times, several TVs on. It gives the people a "buffer zone" in case conversation drags. Remember ..... this is a MEETING place. People come to mingle, chill out, blow off steam, eat, drink, flirt, whatever ...... our job is to give them something to listen to and respond to ..... IF they choose to.

The bar "scene" may not be for everyone, but for THIS entertainer ..... it provides a vehicle to allow me to support my family and mantain my sanity!

Most of my private partie$$$$$ are booked because of the contacts in bars. The rest come from referals from the partie$$$ ....

See what I mean - Catch 22 !

#155030 - 10/22/04 08:13 AM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
No. My beef is that I am always asked to keep the volume of my music to a minimum, which I'm always willing to do - but I won't compete with the TV. The music is meant to set the mood and allow people to relax and converse over dinner, which is impossible if suddenly a small group of people let out an unexpected SCREAM. Rowdier bars I can understand because they already have a high noise level, but a quiet restaurant should not become a sports bar... not everyone cares about the damn game.

#155031 - 10/22/04 12:33 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well, I don't work in a sports bar, but the (silent) TVs generally DO attract some attention during playoff seasons. The masses determine the mood of the room whether it's diners or bar patrons. That's just the nature of a room that features both areas.
I would never fault some patrons that cheer for their team in a good natured way, especially because it puts them in a better mood for the rest of the night as they continue to listen to MY addition to the evening.
If the Philly teams are out of contention, I don't care about the damn game either, but our patrons are from all over and you never know who's going to come in.

If there's a bar, there is almost always a TV. If it's only a restaurant, then you get lucky and you just have to deal with the volume requests. I generally work rooms that have both.

#155032 - 10/22/04 12:34 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Dnj Offline

A few years ago I played at a 50th Anniversary in a High Style Catering Hall during the NFL playoffs...The Older couple rented a GIANT 6'SCREEN TV to watch the game during the affair .....while I was playing too.....
My point is.... You make the choices of your gigs...
They Hire You, You do your job, You get paid, You don't tell them what to do because You work for them, You can always quit or refuse to play there if your not Happy, You can always check out the venue before you ever start playing there and at that time make a decision to play there under those conditions to see if its worth it to You.
You can also sit home and make NOTHING there

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-22-2004).]

#155033 - 10/22/04 12:58 PM Re: If your venue has the t.v. on...
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I have a very strict policy. I will not perform in locations where they have TVs running, Big Screen TVs running and pool tables. That's why I don't do the bar scene anymore. Besides, the bar and restaurant pay is about $150 for 4 hours of drunks and cigarette smoke. I would much rather play at a retirement center, assisted living center or nursing home for an hour, pick up $100 to $150, perform in the middle of the day, middle of the week and do a couple of these a day. I'm not getting older--just a hell of a lot smarter!

Gary. You are lucky to be able to choose. I wonder what you would do if you had no alternative circuit to perform (and make a living from that). The kind of market you are in (retirement centers, assisted living centers or nursing home) is extremely limited if not inexistant in Portugal, for instance. -- José.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online