SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154909 - 12/02/01 10:05 AM PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The most important single sound on an arranger keyboard for me is the acoustic piano. Coming from a background as an acoustic piano player (Steinway), it has been difficult to satisfy my fussy ear. In fact it was the impressive Steinway sample on the Technics KN keyboard which led me to initially purchasing the KN5000. When I purchased the PSR2000 I realized that the acoustic grand piano sample wasn't going to please me because I never even liked the sound of Yamaha real acoustic pianos. I always thought that Yamaha pianos sounded too clinical and sterile, just my personal opinion of course, so please don't flame me. Because of this, I just accepted the fact on the PSR2000 (along with its' cheap light weight keys) that I just wasn't going to be able to pull off decent sounding solo piano on the PSR2000.

AS I stated on a previous thread, the PSR2000's lightweight keys are NOT any more of a problem (at least for me) to play than really any other synth action keyboard. For some bizarre reason I've been able to adapt and may even possibly prefer it's light action with it's unique spongyness at the bottom of the keystroke (seems to lend itself to playing with more expression).

But here is my most recent discovery which really has really turned around my feelings about the Yamaha's acoustic piano sounds. After some quick experimentation I found an acoustic piano combination (main + layer voice) which really works and sounds good (to me) for pulling off an exposed (with arranger off) solo piano performance. I select 'Grand Piano' for the MAIN panel voice and 'BritePnoKSP' for the LAYER panel voice. The voices, when played separately, sound thin and anemic or stridently harsh, but together, they create a satisfying combination for solo acoustic piano playing. Piano sound preferences are highly personal, but the PSR2000 offers many piano sounds in which to mix and match to suit individual tastes. Yesterday, I was able to pull off a couple of nice solo piano pieces which seemed to go over well with the audience. The PSR2000 continues to put a big smile on my face.

#154910 - 12/02/01 11:28 AM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Beakybird Offline

Dear Scott,

I didn't like that combination that much, but try a ballad with the grand piano + the XG>PIANO>DREAM. REally awesome.

I got to get these CVP209 OTS styles to the PSR2000 owners in this group. The OTS settings are fantastic!

Larry

#154911 - 12/02/01 05:49 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Scott,
I tried that combination with my PSR-550 and I think it sounds really good. I know some may not like it on the PSR-2000, but with the PSR-550 it really makes a HUGE difference in my opinion. I did a little tweeking (although limited by the 550's editing choices), and it sounded great.. I think it worked well on the 550 because the 550 doesn't have anywhere near the speaker quality of the 740 or the 2000. I think one of the biggest let downs with the 550 is the bullcrap tweeters they put on it, and claim they work... To those who don't know, the PSR540 and 550's tweeters DO NOT WORK.. They are just for show. If they actually worked it would be obvious change in the sound. I have a pair of the Roland Micro Monitors, and when I hook the keyboard up to them it makes a world of difference... Maybe down the road Yammie will fix this....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#154912 - 12/02/01 06:19 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Scottyee Offline

hi Larry: Thanks for posting the CVP209 files with OTS settings to the Yamaha Group files site. I'm anxious to try them out.

In regards to the PSR2000 acoustic piano sound, I was more looking for the perfect acoustic piano voice combination or layered sound for emulating SOLO piano ONLY (no added strings like the Dream patch includes). It would be interesting to find out what kind of customized acoustic piano patch configurations other people here are using with their PSR2000s.

I do notice that my custom layer of 'Grand Piano' & BritePnoKSP' soundd best when played thru my EV SxA100 monitors, and not the same when played thru the 2000's internal speakers. The sound output source: headphones, internal speakers, or external PA can affect the way it sounds. I guess we need to tweak things a little differently for each output type. eeeeeek..

#154913 - 12/02/01 06:33 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott and all Pro users,

I did something similar with the Carlos guitar, which I never liked very much.
I play a few Santana songs and played around with it.

R1= Carlos guitar vol:66 EQ high 120
R2= Lead guitar vol:74 EQ high 70

I also tweeked the harmonic content a little.

It gives a decent punch and sound. With a nice natural feedback. The Carlos guitar in the Pro is just a Jazz guitar with distortion.
No feedback and not enough clarity.

This way I found it sounds pretty close to some of the tapes I have from Santana.

Layering sounds is really a good tool to get a different sound. Especially the one we are looking for sometimes. That particular sound, that we can't get out of our ears.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 12-02-2001).]

#154914 - 12/02/01 06:57 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Why not bring along an electric Piano -- it may be heavy but it is more than worth it for my enjoyment of the night. I love it with x1 on top - using arranges with left and playing piano beneath with right hand. There are quite a few in Ireland doing that.Pierce

#154915 - 12/02/01 09:24 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanks Scott and Eric for the tips. I like the way the piano sounds the way you describe it Scott. I'll have to try the guitar layer out. I like many of the PSR2000 sounds enough, but I can never get anything close to a good sounding "Carlos" guitar or any distorted electric guitar sound that pleases my ears for that matter on it. I did figure out that the jazz guitar might be the way to go with some distortion on the 2000 ( there is no "carlos" guitar on it ), but I will have to try further layering and eq / effect / synth edits. I had moderate success using xg editing in the past on my PSR740, but I don't know if I'll ever really get a sound I like on it for those sounds. If not I'll have to accept it and continue using the PA80 for emulating distorted guitars that please my ears.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-02-2001).]

#154916 - 12/02/01 10:11 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Scottyee Offline

Lift, drag, haul, shove and push an electric Piano?! ARe you kidding. Maybe I could dis-mantle my 500 pound Steinway Grand and take that to the gig too I'm just a working class musician. I don't get paid enough to pay a crew if roadies to transport gear. When I said I'm a one man band act, I really meant it. I must keep the equipment 'as light as possible' and never take any more gear than needed. That's one of the PRINCIPLE attractions I had to the PSR2000, and now most recently, the EV SxA100's. These pieces are not only light & small in size, but they sound GREAT at a reasonable price. The tools are there, the rest is up to US.

Pierce: I dunno if I could enjoy playing a 150 pound plus electric piano after lugging it up a flight of stairs . . . ouch, my back. You must be a real strong guy or simply running on 'flower power'!
- Scott

#154917 - 12/02/01 11:16 PM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Eric,,

I tried making those guitar sounds on the 2000. The jazz amp and lead guitar combos, with some tweaking are a far sight beter than anything I had used before. I still wouldn't use them in compositions as they don't compare to the ones I am able to do on the PA80, but they will be acceptable enough for playing live, as opposed to what I was using in the PSR before, which was not acceptable for me for any use. Thanks for the tips.

AJ

#154918 - 12/03/01 08:45 AM Re: PSR2000: Acoustic Piano - Tweeked and Ready to Go ! !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
For what it's worth -- check out the Roland FP3. It's a lightweight, 88 key, weighted hammer action, FANTASTIC sounding portable digital piano. Of course it has midi and effects, but the REAL plus is the built in drum machine/arranger. If you really need a piano feel, or the extra keys for showing off -- this is my new favorite. I used to like the Yamaha P80 the best, but this is better because with the push of a button -- you have split bass (or arranger) piano & drums. It's very small, not too heavy and sounds as good as any of the digital offerings out there today.

I too, do not like to bring two keyboards to a job but every now & then .... Having the organ or the piano underneath the synth is pretty cool. I only do this in a band situation -- never alone. It's not worth the extra time, bulk or changes in performance as a solo.

I'd rather play a good digital piano than a fair acoustic anyday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online