SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154732 - 11/07/07 08:12 AM Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Dnj Offline

I gig on ALL Holidays including
Thanks Giving.....for some stupid reason many players seem to veer away from working on Holidays, I Don't ....I acually embrace it and Love to share what I do with people who may be less fortunate then myself on these special days....they might be sick, alone, or just need to socialize & enjoy musical entertainment during Dinner with or without their families. If I can be part of that experience for them I will surely do so....there more then enough time later on in the day or night to be with my own family and kids & soon to be any day now
"First" Grandchild also....
Music is "Magic" try to brighten up someones life with it if you can, dont be selfish your heart & soul will Thank You Big Time... & so will your audiences!

Happy Holidays

#154733 - 11/07/07 08:38 AM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Relieve a lady who has been at a local hotel for almost 30 years. I have my family diner and then go to the hotel so she can be with her family. Usually spend 3 hours there. I've been doing it since I was the house B-3 player in the lounge in the early 80's. the hotel serves over 1500 people that day. Tables are set-up around the pool, in the dining rooms, lounges, etc.

Part of my holiday tradition.

Russ

#154734 - 11/07/07 09:01 AM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No work except help solve the Turkey situation, and cheer on my favorite football team.
DonM

#154735 - 11/07/07 09:24 AM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Unlike some holidays, such as New Year's Eve, the Fourth of July and Halloween, when people traditionally go out somewhere to celebrate, Thanksgiving is most commonly celebrated at home, with family and friends.

This is one of the things I like best about ThanksgivingI get to share wonderful traditions and relaxed times with my wonderful family.

I'm making up for all those holidays I missed while the kids were growing up, and I was out performing.

Jerry

#154736 - 11/07/07 09:40 AM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Dnj Offline

Like I said .....
There's plenty of time l8tr in the day to have QT with my own family...I just feel better inside after I make someone else happy first........or sometimes I take my kids to the gig with me to instill the traditions into them so when they get older they will do the same for my grandchildren when Im gone.

#154737 - 11/07/07 12:21 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
As usual, i'll be doing a one hour gig at a senior center . I usually go to brunch with my family before the job, then go to my best friends family diner later. Good day to spend with family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Bob L.

#154738 - 11/07/07 01:42 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Just yesterday I turned down a really nice hotel gig. We will be going up to New York with my son who is playing in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade with the Baltimore Marching Ravens.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#154739 - 11/07/07 04:50 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ah...the Macy's parade ! I marched in 4 of them with my HS band back in the 70s. Greatest thrill of my life (up to that point) marching through Manhatten on Thanxgiving Day. Sweet, sweet memory - you're kid's gonna LOVE IT !

#154740 - 11/07/07 04:57 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I gig on ALL Holidays including
Thanks Giving.....for some stupid reason many players seem to veer away from working on Holidays, I Don't ....I acually embrace it and Love to share what I do with people who may be less fortunate then myself on these special days....they might be sick, alone, or just need to socialize & enjoy musical entertainment during Dinner with or without their families. If I can be part of that experience for them I will surely do so....there more then enough time later on in the day or night to be with my own family and kids & soon to be any day now
"First" Grandchild also....
Music is "Magic" try to brighten up someones life with it if you can, dont be selfish your heart & soul will Thank You Big Time... & so will your audiences!

Happy Holidays

As long as you're doing it pro bono. But, there's nothing selfish about wanting to be with someone's family. It's certainly not a stupid reason.

We don't have Thanksgiving in Laos but we have certain Buddhist festivals where families spend all day cooking and making flower arrangements, shop for large candles and for toiletries which the next day will be taken to the local temple. These items will be donated to the temple but most of it will be distributed by the temple to the less fortunate, eldery, orphanages or schools.

In fact, monks and novices go out every morning to beg for food. Most of the collected food, once the monks and novices have had their breakfast and lunch (they don't eat dinner) will be donated.

#154741 - 11/07/07 06:50 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Wife is a 3rd shifter at a local ER and gets home around 8:00am...we'll take care of most of the cooking...then she's off to bed while I head into Dayton for a 2 hour gig at a retirement community.

It pays well, but I also enjoy providing some entertainment for the residents who don't have family to take them home for dinner or whatnot.

A little lower key than usual, still a nice couple hours...

#154742 - 11/07/07 09:34 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Beakybird Offline

I have four 55 minute shows at four different facilities. I'll make $800. I'll be home in time for dinner: 1) 10 am in Lake Zurich IL 2) 12 pm in Barrington IL 3) 1:30 pm in Barrington IL 4) 3:30 pm in Aurora IL.

I would rather be with family, but the money is too good.

Beakybird

#154743 - 11/22/07 01:40 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
Dnj Offline

Just knocked out a quick 1hr job today about a 1/2 hr away, put a smile on some peoples faces less fortunate then me.....now it's time for Turkey!!

#154744 - 11/22/07 04:05 PM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
zuki Offline

Only day off in forever.....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#154745 - 11/23/07 08:41 AM Re: Whos is Giggin on Thanks Giving Day?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
BURP!

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online