SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154683 - 04/25/06 12:35 PM need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I was gonna try to use it like an arranger but it looks like it's not that easy,

Any suggestions or tricks I should look for?

Thanks

#154684 - 04/25/06 12:41 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
Dnj Offline

What?...its easy as pie........
talk to me or Don M baby!!
Do you have a MidJay?

#154685 - 04/25/06 12:52 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Frank,
It's not that hard. You must first determine which controller you will use, then learn how to program the knobs or buttons or wheels or sliders to call up sounds on the MJ.
I have an Edirol PCR 80 www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=69

It works great on channel 1. You can use a volume pedal and a sustain pedal. You split the Midjay where you want, and the style starts when you hit a key in the lefthand area (when you have it set to auto start).
You can do fills, intros, endings, variations, etc from the Midjay buttons, or you can use a Ketron footswitch to do some or all of them. I use a combination of both.

You can set up and save your assignments on the Edirol. You will need to read the manual carefully, but it is a pretty good manual, if you decide to use this particular controller.
You can call up any sound from the 64 preset sounds without a lot of trouble. You can also set the Edirol to make Bank changes and call up the sounds that are not in the presets. I haven't done that. Rather, I have edited the presets to include the sounds I use.
Placement of the Midjay in relation to the controller is critical. You must put it as close as possible so that you can easily press the buttons with your preferred hand.
I use an old two-tiered Ultimate Support a-frame because it is almost infinitely adjustable, and light-wight to boot.
In my opinion the key to using the MJ as an arranger is to set up as many registrations as possible. Every time I do a new song, I save the setup to registration. You quickly name them, then later edit the names on your PC via USB.
If you save a style and lyrics with the same name in the same folder, the lyrics are automatically pulled up with the style.
I prefer to put all the lyrics in the WAV folder, then if I want them to open I save the song as a registration. Either way works.
You will find that the overall E.Q. and the mic E.Q. is VERY sensitive. A change of one number does a lot. You won't need to e.q. much.
On the other hand the DSP (reverb and echo) seem to have a broader range of adjustment.
These are just thoughts that come to mind about things that gave me a little trouble as I set mine up.
If you have any specific questions as you get into it, I'll be happy to try and help.
DonM

#154686 - 04/25/06 01:15 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UF7

would this one work, it has the room for the midjay on top, and 76 keys?

#154687 - 04/25/06 02:14 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
DonM Offline

That should work great. As I recall I ruled it out because of the weight. But now I don't remember for sure!
DonM

#154688 - 04/25/06 03:28 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi DonM

What have you found that works for a case for your controller.

Scott

#154689 - 04/25/06 04:26 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Wow Don,
This is very enlightening. I've always ignored controllers that had 'USB' in their description. When I did look at them, most were powered through the USB port, so I never considered using one with an arranger module. This particular controller (Edirol) would be perfect if it had aftertouch.
You mentioned that you could split the board - I assume you control the styles bass/chord changes from the left split Edirol. With a midi in port, do you think it would be possible to control the bass/chord changes of the module with an external device and lead line with the board - through the Edirol?
Ciao,
Jerry

#154690 - 04/25/06 07:13 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
Dnj Offline

With the MIDJAY I use the roland A37 controller http://www.roland.com/products/en/A-37/index.html

Great feel best Ive played in a long while 76 keys, super lightweight, its so easy to assign sounds to the buttons 128 if needed..
I use a casio Privia soft bag which I love.....
http://www.music123.com/Casio-Privia-Keyboard-Case-i257970.music

I use no pedals to control the Midjay at all too slow for me...its just my style of playing & to make split second changes on the buttons I need my fingers to do so.......I do sometimes use a small sustain pedal on the A37 in certain situations, I have it sitting about 4 inches above my KB using an Ultimate AX48BP Apex 2-Tier Column Keyboard Stand .......once you get the hang of the MIDJAY operation its by far the most powerfull multiflexable Module unit out there with an awesome live sound....as long as your willing to put in your homework you will be rewarded BIG TIME!!! Being able to make all edits thru USB is so easy and just shows up as another hard drive on your PC...
If your "JUST A PLAYER" Dont get a MIDJAY......But, if your a mutli faceted Entertainer/Singer/KB Artist utilizing all means to do so including MP3/SMF/WAV/SFX/Voc/Styles Get a MIDJAY ASAP w/a Good Controller and KICK SOME BUTT!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-25-2006).]

#154691 - 04/26/06 04:29 AM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Wow Don,
This is very enlightening. I've always ignored controllers that had 'USB' in their description. When I did look at them, most were powered through the USB port, so I never considered using one with an arranger module. This particular controller (Edirol) would be perfect if it had aftertouch.
You mentioned that you could split the board - I assume you control the styles bass/chord changes from the left split Edirol. With a midi in port, do you think it would be possible to control the bass/chord changes of the module with an external device and lead line with the board - through the Edirol?
Ciao,
Jerry

Jerry, actually the split is made on the Midjay. The controller just sends key information and program changes, such as calling up sounds, playing sounds, sustain, volume, pitch bend, modulation, etc.
If you split the Midjay at G2, then the controller sends chord changes below that key.
I'm not sure what you mean by controlling the chord change by an external device, but I don't think the Edirol has midi through, just in and out, so maybe that would be a problem.
Incidentally you must use an external power supply (included) unless the Edirol is connected to your PC. The USB on the Midjay will not power it.
DonM

#154692 - 04/26/06 04:14 PM Re: need help setting up a MiDJay with a keyboard controller
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Don M,
This is the unit I'm referring to:
Mod. MSMB - 120
'Midi mechanics 120 with 2 or 3 rows on basses, magnetic contacts, incorporated in a flight
case.' http://www.mastersound.it/prodotti/tastiere.htm
It's a midi unit for accordionists that works with keyboard arrangers. I'm trying to determine if it would work with a controller and module rig. I can't seem to be able to a photo of the unit.
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online