SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#154586 - 05/19/05 05:26 PM Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask such a technical software installation question, but since it's directly related to the Yamaha Tyros & Tyros software (Voice Editor, File Utility, and other software requiring USB-Midi interface with the Yamaha Tyros), I'll have a go in hopes of finding help & answers from PC experts here. I apologize in advance for being so verbose, but I think all the information is needed to accurately describe the problem.

I recently purchased a new PC (Windows XP, sp2). In attempting to re-install software programs onto the new machine, I've run into an installation glitch (what else is new, right?) when attempting to install Yamaha USB-Midi Driver 2.14, which is required for running various Yamaha software programs which require interaction (via USB) with my Yamaha Tyros keyboard.

First the good news: My PC is able to automatically recognize my Tyros as a USB Mass Storage Device when the Tyros is booted up in "USB Storage Mode (HDD)". This facilitates easy transfer of data back & forth between the PC & Tyros hard drive, and requires no software drivers to be installed on the PC.

On the other hand, PC software programs like the "Tyros Voice Editor", "Tyros File Utility", and the ability to play midi files on the PC sent via USB to the Tyros for playback, requires that the "Yamaha USB-Midi Driver" software be installed on my PC. For whatever reason, I'm not able to successfully install 'Yamaha USB/Midi driver 2.14' onto my PC and get it to fully recognize the Tyros. Following software driver installation, the 'Yamaha USB Midi Driver' icon shows up (as working properly) in: "Sound, Video & Game Controllers", but when I click on the 'Properties' button in the 'Yamaha USB Midi Driver Properties Window': (Properties Tab > MIDI Devices & Instruments > Yamaha Corp USB Midi Driver) it states: Status: Driver is enabled but not functioning properly. When I try to click that window's 'Settings" button, nothing opens. In addition, when I go into the Windows "Control Panel" and click on the Yamaha Midi/USB icon, I get a message saying: "Yamaha Midi Device Not Connected"MIDI-USB Driver" (blue) icon a window pops up that says: "MIDI-USB Driver not connected". Interestingly enough, the 'Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the Windows System tray (when opened), shows the Yamaha USB Midi Driver (Tyros) as a connected USB device. Another strange thing I notice is that when I select the "Driver Details" button, it shows 3 files for the Yamaha USB Driver:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\lvusbsta.sys
Logitech Inc. File Version: 8.4.6.1016 digitally signed

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ymidusb.sys Yamaha Corp. File Version: 2.1.4 (not digitally signed)

C:\Windows\system32\xgusb.cpl Yamaha Corp. File version: 2.1.4 (not digitally signed)

What's strange is that "lvusbsta.sys" is listed as one of 'Yamaha USB Driver' files.

I then decided to de-install Yamaha USB/Midi Driver 2.14 and install an earlier version 2.09 instead. This yielded the same results as above, but in addition, when I go into the Windows Device Manager and select the "USB MIDI Driver" icon in "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" and right-mouse click it to get Properties, it still says: version 2.14, yet if I then select Driver details, in addition to the erroneous Logitech file (lvusbsta.sys) still listed, the 2 Yamaha files (ymidusb.sys & xgusb.cpl) now say File version 2.09:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\lvusbsta.sys Logitech Inc. File Version: 8.4.6.1016 (digitally signed)

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ymidusb.sys Yamaha Corp. File Version: 2.0.9 (not digitally signed)

C:\Windows\system32\xgusb.cpl Yamaha Corp. File version: 2.0.9 (not digitally signed)

Unfortunately, when I click on the USB-MIDI icon in the Control Panel, it still says: 'USB-MIDI Device not connected', even though it (The Tyros) is indeed connected via USB, with "Yamaha USB-Midi Driver" appearing in the USB 'safely remove hardware' icon's pop-up in the Windows System Tray.

My Deepest APOLOGIES for such a lengthy detailed description of the problem, but think providing this much detail is required to better explain the problem and to hopefully find a solution which will enable me to utilize the Tyros "Voice Editor" software, "File Utility" Software, as well as play midi files on my new PC thru the Tyros (via USB cable).

I've attempted to present this problem to Steve Deming at Yamaha USA and so far he hasn't been able to come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone who had enough interest to read this thread from beginning to end, and offer me help with this.

Scott

#154587 - 05/19/05 05:57 PM Re: Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott did you install the software before you made the USB connection?

Did you disable your virus protection before the installation?

Did the screen stating that the software is not compatible come up with the over ride check box?
Did a code 10 show ...control settings/ system/device/properties..?

#154588 - 05/19/05 06:26 PM Re: Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott did you install the software before you made the USB connection?

No. Only upon making the Tyros USB connection were the driver files installed, following the pop up window prompt: New Hardware found.

Quote:

Did you disable your virus protection before the installation?

Yep, and also disabled Ad-aware and other extraneous startup files as well.

Quote:

Did the screen stating that the software is not compatible come up with the over ride check box?

No, because Yamaha driver installer instructions (read me file) had me select, in the Device Manager's "Driver Signing" window: "Ignore-Install the software anyway and don't ask for my approval'

Quote:

Did a code 10 show ...control settings/ system/device/properties..?

Don't remember seeing anything like that.

Scott

#154589 - 05/19/05 06:33 PM Re: Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, did you try a backwards compatible install, to a operating system that worked before[98se, 2000 etc]?

#154590 - 05/19/05 06:40 PM Re: Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
Scottyee Offline

Hi Fran,

My other PC runs on the same OS (Windows XP) abeit home vs Pro, and the Yamaha USB-MidiDriver version 2.09 works with it. For whatever reason, when installing 2.09 on my new PC (after having de-installed 2.14) it doesn't recognize the Tyros. Go figure. I wonder if might be some kind of software incompatibility glitch, especially because when I check the USB-Midi Driver in the Device Manager , that erroneous Logitech file (lvusbsta.sys) comes up as a listed driver for the Yamaha USB-Midi Driver. Weird huh?

Scott

#154591 - 05/19/05 09:59 PM Re: Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
Scottyee Offline

Fran & all,

I'm happy to report that I finally got my Yamaha USB-Midi Driver problem fixed.

For some bizarre reason, the current Yamaha USB-Midi Driver version 2.14, um214xp2.exe (133KB), posted on Yamaha's website: http://www.global.yamaha.com/download/usb_midi/

just won't work on my new Windows-XP PC. I also had tried installing Yamaha USB-Midi Driver version 2.09 for Windows2000/XP from:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/download/utility_lib/usb_midi/usbmidi_win.htm

and had no luck with it as well.

Luckily, I was able to locate the 'original copy' of the Yamaha USB-Midi Driver 2.09 software that I had successfully installed quite a while back on my other older PC, and after installing it on my NEW PC, find this one WORKS!

I wonder why supposedly the SAME software driver version (2.09) installs fine on my PC, yet the same(?) one currently posted on the internet doesn't.

Interestingly enough, even though I had thought I had completely removed the 2.14 from my PC, prior to successfully installing my orginal driver version 2.09, when I got to the Device Mgr and right-click on the "Yamaha USB Midi Driver" icon, and then select the DRIVER tab, it still displays 2.14 as the driver version even though the 'driver details' window correctly reflects the actual older 2.09 driver version currently installed.
Perhaps there's some hidden file(s) in WINDOWS which merely stores the driver version's cosmetic only 'display properties' and not being updated to display the older currently installed 2.09 now. Oh well, merely cosmetic I suppose, but my ever inquiring mind still can't help but want to dicover the explanation. Any ideas? In the meantime, it's finally back to making music again. Thanks for listening.

Scott

#154592 - 05/20/05 02:50 AM Re: Please HELP! Yamaha USB-Midi-Driver Install & Tyros Recognition Problems
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
In its sometimes misguided attempts to do everything automatically, XP holds a driver cache somewhere and will re-install whatever files it thinks are appropraite upon system reboot without you even getting a look in.

Therefore it can be necessary to find all instances of the driver files that you thought you'd removed, and then get rid of those as well! Also there may be cached ".inf" files relating to the driver, and it's best to zap those as well.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online