SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#154355 - 11/16/03 09:20 PM Re: I'm a grandpa!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Boo,
Life's too short to bicker all the time. I have my hands full just pasting a smile on for 4 hours a night at work ..... I don't want to work at it here too.
Nothing you say bothers me, you know that !
I don't need a wake up call ..... I need a vacation, and a rich girlfriend .......... with redhair. (still no word)
Tuesday my girls and I are off to NYC for a 2 day vaca - can't wait !

#154356 - 11/17/03 05:29 AM Re: I'm a grandpa!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Have fun Dave. A few days away with the kids will work wonders. And no Boobird.
My family and I are going to South Texas to see my mother next week. We'll be leaving after I get off work Saturday night and coming back in time for work Wednesday night.
It's about a 12 or 13-hour drive.
DonM

#154357 - 11/17/03 05:52 AM Re: I'm a grandpa!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Thank you everyone. My daughter and grandson came home from the hospital yesterday. Everything is well. He has long fingers. Maybe he'll grow up to be the next Donny or Eddie. If I want my grandson to grow up poor I'll steer him toward jazz. If he is to be rich and successful like DonM he can do both kinds of music, country and western. In 20 years I'll ship him to Philly to study under the grand master of all music the great U.D. himself.

Tom

#154358 - 11/17/03 06:50 AM Re: I'm a grandpa!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just teach him to be the next Tom C. and he'll do fine.
Yeah, I am rich and successful, just don't have any money.
DonM

#154359 - 11/17/03 06:20 PM Re: I'm a grandpa!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I know for a fact DonM's made hundreds of dollars at this music stuff.

#154360 - 11/18/03 10:54 AM Re: I'm a grandpa!
Uncle Dave Offline

All we do in Philly is go out to eat and play gigs. (THERE, I said it...the "G" word !)

#154361 - 11/19/03 05:58 PM Re: I'm a grandpa!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dave,

Gig has always been unigue to musicians. It sets musicians apart from bricklayers. I think it's a great discription of a music job!

I still don't understand your reasoning on it, but I'll be the first to say you have every right to your opinion.

I still can't do the smiley faces. When I type the according to the instructions on the "smilies ""legend", that's all I get is the . And the copy and paste from the site Donny gave me doesn't work either.

Boy! I feel as dumb as I must look here! Everyone but me can do a smilie face.

#154362 - 11/19/03 07:44 PM Re: I'm a grandpa!
Uncle Dave Offline

Actually Boo, the reason I DON'T use the "G" word is because it doesn't command the same respect of the situation. In my mind, a "gig" is like jamming in a garage. I support a family and run a small buisness on the income derived from my work. It's really no different from your work as a brick layer. We both sell a service. We both perform in front of the public, and we both need the validation of our client if we are to be paid. To treeat it as less than a "day at the office" just seems like selling short.

I have mnany friends that use the term gig to refer to all sorts of work. Regardless of all the "cool cat" lingo that started the pet name ........ I feel that it diminishes the importance of the work, and makes the performer sound like something "less than" a professional.

I'm sure this is a minority opinion, and I don't expect anyone to change their speech habits to apease me, but that's the way I see it. Just another quirky "artistc" trait, I guess.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online