SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#154154 - 11/04/05 08:01 AM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
I find the same thing is true when you take an additional singer along.

Yes, 'especially', if it's an attractive female singer. - Scott

#154155 - 11/05/05 02:31 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi Scott,

It's interesting that you say this. A couple of weeks ago I was scheduled to play for a street party, which was organised fairly last-minute. The party was on a Sunday. On the Friday I get a call letting me know that a guitarist and drummer were also joining in. I didn't know who they were, but I quickly realised they were amateurs.

I had already agreed to a vocalist I hadn't heard before (never mind rehearsed with), but this was too far! I called up the organiser, and he told me to stop being such a pain, and 'just make it work'!. In the end, I didn't give in (because I've experience with these kind of arrangements, and I'ld rather keep a professional standard), so he told me he'ld get a different keyboardist, because everyone wanted a 'band'.

On the Sunday I turned up just to see whether I was right in my judgement. First off, the keyboardist could hardly play, the drummer was ok but not audible. The vocalist really saved the day, and it wasn't too bad overall (ie from a non-musical perspective), but believe me, the guitarist hadn't the slightest idea what he was doing! He was literally playing something completely different and inappropriate to the music. It sounded more like a beginner experimenting with some scales or something.

Anyway was I glad that I stuck to my guns, because although the atmosphere was great, I really don't think I would have been able to actually play with these people (I get very stressed when the music isn't perfect).

You say, "'no matter what', you keep going, and don't let unexpected glitches throw you".

That's true, but for me that's very hard, and until I can do that, I rather opt out of playing with somebody who I think will throw me off. One needs to be relaxed when performing, and if you have the option, I think it's better not to have distractions in the first place.

Seeing as you manage to keep your cool in such circumstances (although your guitarist wasn't THAT bad), maybe you could give us some tips on how to do that:-)

Also, do you think I was right to insist on playing solo?

Zalman

#154156 - 11/05/05 03:52 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Zalman. I agree. We need to work with musicians we 'feel comfortable' playing with. I never include, especially 'on a paying gig' musicians I've never actually heard play, or rehearsed with, before. The only rare exception would be if I got a glowing recommendation about them from a fellow pro musician I've actually performed with, and knows what I expect.

As far as the guitarist on this specific gig in the video. We actually have worked together before, so I knew pretty much what to expect. I had originally booked a sax player for this gig, but he had to cancel last minute due to illness, leaving no time to actually rehearse with the guitarist. I emailed him charts 2 nights before, so all things considered, overall, I think it worked out well. The client was happy. I got paid with the promise of another upcoming gig booking. Performing (both interacting with the audience), and playing with other musicians, requires flexibility to bring out the best of the members of your band. The trick to performance success is also knowing how to read your audience and their mood, Once you do this, you'll have them in the palm of your hands. - Scott

#154157 - 11/05/05 04:13 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
ScottYee,

Obviously that's the professional approach.

The client knows me from several years back, when I played more for fun and unprofessionaly, and I think he was thinking of me in that capacity even though I was charging him the going rate. I actually found it insulting that he was demanding it, but I couldn't communiacate that to him. I wrote him a letter now explaining that; we'll see what effect it has.

I'm glad your client was happy with your performance.

BTW, in that situation, would it not have been the best thing to allow the guitarist to do the melodic fills, whilst you controlled the accomp and sang - and leave the RH? Or did you not know when he was going to fill?

Zalman

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online