SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15374 - 08/30/01 01:17 PM Will the new GEM line have Oriental support?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
oriental scales, sounds and styles?

Please have the scales built in!

#15375 - 08/30/01 04:31 PM Re: Will the new GEM line have Oriental support?
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Sk880user,
I'm just very curious of what inspires you in the oriental music (your opininon of the Oriental music) as I have never seen any body from here(usa) asks for the Scaling function as much as you do from Gem.

just curious

thanx
------------------
vic

[This message has been edited by vic83 (edited 08-30-2001).]

#15376 - 08/30/01 04:53 PM Re: Will the new GEM line have Oriental support?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The new instrument will have a similar on-board Arabic scale utility to the WK8/SK880. For more dedicated users requiring real time control we will continue to offer the AS-1 Arabic Scale Converter as an accessory, (which can also be fitted to your SK should you need it).

Chris

#15377 - 08/30/01 07:08 PM Re: Will the new GEM line have Oriental support?
sk880user Offline

Vic83,

Very good question. 1/4 tone scales are important for much ethnic music, especially around the mediteranian area, such as the middle east, greece, eastern europe, turkey and others. Huge amount of these groups of people immigrated to the USA and became part of it. Music is very strong with them. I would say that most people who buy GEM arranger keyboards in the US, will also buy the oriental kit with it. I know some stores that sells only these kind of keyboards.

Because of this large ethnic oriental music influence on our culture, nowadays, many of the modern music especially by african american musicians utilize sometimes quarter tones in their music.

Furthermore, many of the movies that are produced in hollywood utilize quarter tone music in the background to give you the feel of eeriness, strangeness and sometimes uncomfort.

So it is no longer an option if you want to be musician for everything. You must have all the tools, all the technology and a GEM keyboard!

#15378 - 08/30/01 07:09 PM Re: Will the new GEM line have Oriental support?
sk880user Offline

Chris,

Thanks. I will keep my AS-1 box then... Anyway, I will keep my sk880!

#15379 - 08/31/01 12:35 PM Re: Will the new GEM line have Oriental support?
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
thanx for the answer SK880USER .I'm one of those people who immigrated and had the music that I lived listening to with me .I your right about the rap thing ("JAY-Z").I always loved reggae too.and that's what I'm playing now.for the oriental music.I play it for people who loves it from either USA or any middle eastern country.I don't force it.I do it when people ask me too.

just thought to share that with you and any one else .BELIEVE ME,I get so happy when people like you Encourage it.

------------------
vic:)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online