SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#153573 - 02/14/05 01:01 PM mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Anyone using mp3 to midi file conversion ... I saw this and am wondering how it works, limitations, etc.
http://www.mp3towav.org/mp3-to-midi.asp

thnx,
t.

#153574 - 02/15/05 08:43 AM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
There has been some discussion before on converting MP3's to MIDI. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/007248.html
It doesn't look to expensive. If you try it out AND IT WORKS, let us know.
Starkeeper

#153575 - 02/15/05 10:13 AM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
tony mads usa Offline

Thanks Starkeeper ... I may give the trial version a try .... I'll let you know ...
t.

#153576 - 02/15/05 11:40 AM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Anyone using mp3 to midi file conversion ... I saw this and am wondering how it works, limitations, etc.
http://www.mp3towav.org/mp3-to-midi.asp

thnx,
t.

hey there, there are a few audio(mp3) to midi converters out there, BUT their biggest limitation is they cannot handle more than a single instrument very well at all, at converting solo instruments they are passable but you still need to do a bit of tweaking.if you try to convert say, the latest top 40 hit, (so you can play it at your bext gig as a complete midi file ), forget it as these programs just produce gobbldygook.

peace, out

#153577 - 02/15/05 12:54 PM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
tony mads usa Offline

manic ...... thnx for the info .....
t.

#153578 - 02/15/05 01:26 PM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello,

I downloaded the trial version of TS AudioToMidi, converted a wave file to midi file and then played that midi file through Yamaha's XG SoftSynth and recorded that with Sound Forge 7.

I choose a wave file (a recorded midi file, actually) that had only a few instruments, drums, bass, overdrive guitars (a whole bunch of tracks of overdrive guitar). I then choose the overdrive guitar on the converting software because...well, I just choose overdrive guitar, no particular reason. So the end-result midi that you hear only has one sound that tries to represent all the original tracks.

Here's a link to the original .mp3:

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/mp3/voodoochild.mp3

Here's a link to the recording of that mp3-to-midi file:

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/mp3/voodoochild2.mp3

I figured it would sound like gobble-dee-goo but was surprised to hear as much separation as I did.

It still makes me wonder how some companies make such wonderful and "true" sounding midi files. Do they get their hands on the 8-track, 16-track, 32-track master tapes and use software like this on each individual track?

-mike

#153579 - 02/15/05 02:08 PM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike,

I think the true test of the software would be to convert one of your better midi files to an MP3, then convert it back to a midi using the softare and do a comparison.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#153580 - 02/15/05 02:31 PM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Gary,

Didn't I just do that?

Oh, you didn't like Jimmy Hendrick's Voodoo Child?

After I installed the program, I looked in my Temp folder for any .wav or .mp3 files that I had layin' around. I saw the Voodoo and said, "That'll do."

The original recording is a midi file that was played through Yamaha's XG Softsynth and recorded with SoundForge.

I would think a good test would be, record a good midi, one track at a time (mute the others) turning it into a .wav or .mp3 (the software will convert either). Convert those audio files back into individual midi files but picking the correct instrument for each track converted (should be interesting to see what it does with the drum track). Then use a program like Cakewalk (or whatever) to import the separate tracks into one midi file. Adjust for any timing errors and record the final product. Compare to the original.

Sounds like it could be a lot of work. I'll see if I can sneak that in during a lunch hour some time.

-mike

#153581 - 02/15/05 03:56 PM Re: mp3 to midi file conversion ? ....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Powertracks pro has an pitch to midi converter but it only works on one track at a time. I've never used it but they say it is slow and not all that accurate.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online