SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#153482 - 04/27/06 09:27 AM Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I played the E09 today and loved the sounds and styles. They are fantastic at this price range. The store didnt have a gw7. Now i know the gw7 has 10 less drum kits and 8 less sounds and 20 less styles than the e09. Is there any way of knowing which ones are missing because i need as many indian styles and sounds as possible. Is it true that the e09 has more dedicated functions including style categories instead of the gw7 data wheel. Does the gw7 have the same 33 styles in the world category as e09? Finally i asked the salesman whether it was possible to select a different drum kit for a style and he said no. Is this true? Whats the purpose of having 60 to 70 drum kits if u cant use them to change the preset drum kits on the styles.. Thanks. Any help appreciated

#153483 - 04/27/06 09:32 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rolandfan Offline

I am aware of the other differences...gw7 has no speakers.. E09 has no usb no analog modify for sounds, no favourite feature for sounds, no user created tones

#153484 - 04/27/06 09:45 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rolandfan Offline

are the sounds and styles on gw7 identical to e09? Does gw7 come with a usb cable?

#153485 - 04/27/06 06:37 PM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
baluan Offline

Loc: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Hello Rolandfan,

I'm using GW-7 and I'm pleased with its sounds. You can edit tone and save it in user tone section.
As fas as I know, E-09 and GW-7 have the same sounds but you have many functions for sound tweaking in GW-7 (Its layout and appearance are nicer and more professional).
GW-7 has USB port to receive and transfer data with PC (style + midi song).
Regarding editing drum kit, you can change to fit your flavour through EMC Style Works Universal.

#153486 - 04/27/06 09:36 PM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Rolandfan,
I don't know either machine , but some of the newer less expensive Rolands, I don't think have style editing functions??? something you may want to check into if styles are important to you. There is always the option of EMC software, but that adds to the cost

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rolandfan:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#153487 - 04/28/06 12:44 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rolandfan Offline

Thanks guys. I will download the data lists to compare. Its a pity it cant directly change a styles drum kit because it has soooo many drum kits...more than the tyros infact

#153488 - 04/28/06 12:44 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
baluan Offline

Hi,

GW-7 doesn't have built-in function for style editing. You have to use PC with EMC Style Works to edit. Or you can download many many Roland styles on net to use.
Beside this inconvenience, I think you will like its sounds (esp World sound groups). It has many new samples in comparison with other Roland keyboards.
However, if you afford PSR-3000, go for it. PSR-3000 has many functions for live performance althought its regular sounds (apart from Live!, Sweet!, Cool!, Megavoice) are not very impressive.
It depends on your ear taste.

#153489 - 04/28/06 01:47 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rolandfan Offline

I had owned the tyros..i sold it to help me buy a 2002 opel astra lol. I havent played for 6 months.Now i miss playing and want a cheap keyboard with high quality sounds and styles. The world asian sounds of the e09 rivals the tyros. Some of the indian styles are the best ive ever heard on an arranger. Another question... On the gw7 suppose u select a certain sound u like eg voice aahs and then move to another sound group eg piano...when i go BACK to the vocals group will the keyboard remember that i last selected voice aahs or does it automatically default to the first sound in that group?

#153490 - 04/28/06 02:29 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
baluan Offline

Hi,
In GW-7, you can select up to 10 favourite sounds (Just 08 in Tyros and 3000).
First, you have to save your favourite sounds in 01 of ten sound group buttons (by pressing and hold Favourite button and select the button to save).
When Favourite button is pressed, you can choose your saved sounds in 10 sound group buttons. If this button is off, the sounds are back to its default.

#153491 - 04/28/06 08:18 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
ocomain Offline

To quote from the GW-7 manual:

"The Favorite Tone function lets you register up to ten Tones to each of the ten category buttons [PIANO]–[DRUMS], regardless of the category of the Tone or whether it is a Preset Tone or a User Tone. For example, if you register the Tones you use most frequently, you’ll be able to select them quickly in a live performance situation."

In other words, you can store a total of 100 preset or user tones, and each tone can be stored in whatever instrument category you choose (if you have more ethnic sounds than will fit in either of the World categories, you can store the extra tones in the Piano category, if you so choose). Nice!

By the way, my main useability complaint with the GW-7 has been the data wheel...I prefer the ones on my Fantoms because of the "finger indentation" (makes it easier to spin with one finger). I removed the data wheel from the Fantom X and it fits and works perfectly on the GW-7! Now I've got to find an extra wheel, hopefully without having to order one from Roland!

Michael

#153492 - 04/28/06 08:50 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
ocomain Offline

I also tried the Fantom X knobs on the GW-7 and they work and look better. The tops are silver colored (matches the GW-7 color scheme) and there is a white indicator line on the bottom of the knobs, as well as a indentation on the silver top, which allow you to align things better. The knobs have a rubbery texture, are taller and have a nice taper, so it's easier to grab and turn...guess I'll be ordering 3 of these also!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-28-2006).]

#153493 - 04/28/06 09:32 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
rolandfan Offline

They should have put an indentation on the data wheel. thanks for your detailed information. The favourite tone selection is a great feature. I will try and find a gw7 to play on monday and then ill know for sure which one is for me

#153494 - 04/28/06 10:23 AM Re: Please help me decide between roland e09 and gw7...im so confused
ocomain Offline

I spoke to Allen at Roland US and I'll be able to order the parts directly from them. The info is as follows:

The data wheel (Roland calls it an alpha wheel...it's used on a lot of their products): DR KNOB part #22485303

The small knobs: JR KNOB part #03565234 (quantity: 3)

The total (with tax and shipping via regular mail) comes to 22.89.

You can order directly over the phone, or send check\money order to:

Roland Corporation
PO Box 910921
Los Angeles, CA 90091-0921

Of course, GW-7 users in other locales will have to order from their local Roland support centers.

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-28-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online