SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#152984 - 01/30/06 09:52 AM Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Here goes:
This forum really makes my butt laugh lately. A forum is for posting both positive and negative remarks. If someone doesn't want to see anything negative then I feel that they should not post their work/links on here without considering the outcome.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm sick of everyone expecting positive remarks all the time on SZ. When someone puts something negative, everyone else seems to go off on one. It wasn't like that a while back, so what has changed?
I've said it before, if remarks were postivie all the time, everyones head on here would be up their rears by this time next year (I think some are almost there already lol).
The owner of SZ does a great job but even he must agree that you have to take the rough with the smooth when asking for comments.
With regards to Bebops posting of the free stylewarehouse disk, I've had comments back because I posted that these styles were terrible (on the Technics forum and on here).
This is my opinion and obviously others differ but for me they fall well below the quality I would expect to use in a live environment with a singer. They simply are not worth it in my opinion considering that free styles exist on the internet of a much higher and useable quality. It is not me having a go at the creator of the styles, I don't even know who he/she is.
So can people on here tell me what is wrong with me voicing my opinion on a forum, surely that is why I joined SZ so I can put my opinion across be it positive or negative?

#152985 - 01/30/06 10:05 AM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
AMEN! Listen up people and hear Craig.

#152986 - 01/30/06 10:06 AM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Craig,
I think it is usually not so much what a person says as it is how he says it. We are communicating without the benefit of inflection, facial expressions, body language, etc., and often with persons to which English is not their primary language.
For example, I could say, "I'm glad you like your keyboard and that it does what you want, but my experience with that model was that it wasn't as reliable as I'd wished, and that some of the sounds were outdated, at least to my ears".
Or I could say, "I can't believe you really like that piece of junk. It breaks down every time you turn it on and sounds like crap."
Now I've put it on a personal level and most likely antagonized the original poster, for no good reason. However, if I were to say that same thing in person, with a big smile on my face, and maybe a gentle punch on the arm, it would be taken in the right way.
Sarcasm, subtle humor, double meanings, etc., are hard to communicate via the written word.
Just food for thought. Hope nobody chokes on it. (O.K., that's humor, here's the smiley face Woops, hope that didn't sound condescending. I really meant to be helpful.
See what I mean?
DonM

P.S. By the way, I agree for the most part about the style disks. I have several and have found very little I could use. But I haven't tried the Tyros ones.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 01-30-2006).]

#152987 - 01/30/06 10:23 AM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Craig,
I think it is usually not so much what a person says as it is how he says it. We are communicating without the benefit of inflection, facial expressions, body language, etc., and often with persons to which English is not their primary language.
For example, I could say, "I'm glad you like your keyboard and that it does what you want, but my experience with that model was that it wasn't as reliable as I'd wished, and that some of the sounds were outdated, at least to my ears".
Or I could say, "I can't believe you really like that piece of junk. It breaks down every time you turn it on and sounds like crap."
Now I've put it on a personal level and most likely antagonized the original poster, for no good reason. However, if I were to say that same thing in person, with a big smile on my face, and maybe a gentle punch on the arm, it would be taken in the right way.
Sarcasm, subtle humor, double meanings, etc., are hard to communicate via the written word.
Just food for thought. Hope nobody chokes on it. (O.K., that's humor, here's the smiley face Woops, hope that didn't sound condescending. I really meant to be helpful.
See what I mean?
DonM

P.S. By the way, I agree for the most part about the style disks. I have several and have found very little I could use. But I haven't tried the Tyros ones.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 01-30-2006).]

Well said!!!

Another concideration is that if you give a negative comment on a work and do so in a harsh way you should expect to get negative comments back. Just like if you post a work that may not be good you should expect to get some negative comments.

#152988 - 01/30/06 11:25 AM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Very well put, Don.

#152989 - 01/30/06 11:53 AM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
Craig,we come here because we like what we hear, but also different opinions providing they are constructive are beneficial, that is how you grow, Bad Critisism this is CRAP, GOOD Critisism this is good/bad CRAP BECAUSE???.
Your opinion was highly valued in regards to mediastation ,we feel you gave it a thorough testing within your capabilities giving the pro,s and negatives. there is an old saying ,you can please some of the people, oh shoot ( i nearly said sh-t he he)you know what i am saying, mike

#152990 - 01/30/06 12:24 PM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
Pacesetter Offline

Hello:

I'm pretty new to the boards and what's a little bickering here and there. But I will say that sometimes this group is like a bunch of little old ladies or little children i.e. My toy is better than yours!! Big deal! From what I can see and hear you are all very good musicians and I'm sure better than I am. You need to respect one another. Bottom line your all first class people and are good at what you do. It's big egos that get in the way and I've seen one of 2 here. Nuff said! Salud!

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 01-30-2006).]

#152991 - 01/30/06 12:38 PM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for all the replies, they are very informative and I appreciate the lot of them.
I've decided to stop using Synthzone and will concentrate on another couple of forums instead.
Synthzone has been great for the last possibly 6 years? It's certainly gone down hill these last few months so I'm on vacation from now on lol Take care

Those who know me can reach me on Skype/MSN/Yahoo or send private mail on the Tyros 2 forums I visit.

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 01-30-2006).]

#152992 - 01/30/06 01:04 PM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Craig,

Yours are well articulated, informed opinions, which indicate a strong commitment to music and a vast understanding of interpersonal issues, business related issues
and a refreshing proclivity to "tell it like it is."

I'll miss all that if you decide to leave.

Russ

P.S. you're right. Occasionally, tunes are posted on here that are just awful...tempos...choice of instrumentation...
lead lines...changes...vocals, and yet no one comments about the shortcomings, including me. I'm not at all sure that our lack of honest critique is the best thing to "further the cause".

#152993 - 01/30/06 02:59 PM Re: Why does everyone seem to expect positive comments all the time on here?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Sometimes a terrible post is an improvement for the poster, Do we tell him, he is still terrible or do we point out the improvements.
Sometimes when we don't know the history we want to jump right in and yell "that sucks" but maybe others are trying to be encouraging because they see the improvement.
All of us here are not professionals, or experienced or even entertainers or keyboard players.
I have been in and out of this forum, check back often, or not, it always puzzles me why people feel they have to make the grand announcement "you have not agreed with me so I choose to leave" and they usually have to take a parting shot to let us all know how superior they think they are.
just go quietly...and preserve your dignity

------------------
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone
qqqwq@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-30-2006).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online