SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152621 - 04/08/02 05:34 PM Just an idea.............
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think arrangers should allow pattern chaining integrated into the sequencer. On the professional synths you can create patterns and chain them together rather quicky. I find that making fills can be quite a pain sometimes using the style sequencers on the current models. Pattern chaining is so easy and efficient too... On one of my former synths I was able to create a pattern, and make up to 50 variations of that pattern. Then I could go into the song sequencer and chain them together in any order. What makes it so nice is that you can choose which measure you want the patterns to start,stop and so forth. It even had independent track looping.. Meaning each track could have it's own loop setting. You could make a 4 measure drum track, 2 measure bass line and so on... It would be so nice to have this option on arrangers too. I still think that GEM has the most versitile sequencers in all arrangers, and it would be cool to see this feature added to later models...

Squeak

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-08-2002).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#152622 - 04/08/02 08:16 PM Re: Just an idea.............
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Squeak ,
I could realistically copy 20 patterns onto my hard drive and press the tempo lock . I could than move from one to pattern to another with out a hitch . TEMP LOCK would be the key ! dano

#152623 - 04/08/02 08:43 PM Re: Just an idea.............
squeak_D Offline

Do you really think Tempo Lock would be the thing??? Not to sure on that one... Would that work like pattern chaining? DanO, do you have the Motif in your store? If so give the pattern sequencer a whirl. If it functions like the EX series you can go into the sequencer and put those patterns anywhere you want them. I just think pattern chaining is so much more efficient at times...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#152624 - 04/09/02 06:03 AM Re: Just an idea.............
DanO1 Offline

Perhaps you can explain what you mean with pattern chain . Just so we are on the right page . dano

#152625 - 04/09/02 06:52 AM Re: Just an idea.............
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
I 100% agree with squeak_D on this issue. pattern chaining is very usefull and would make our life easier (like it's done in Motif or RS7000).

------------------
New Yorker

#152626 - 04/09/02 01:14 PM Re: Just an idea.............
squeak_D Offline

DanO,
Pattern chaining is quite simple. Example: You record a basic pattern, you then use the pattern copy function and you can copy that pattern as many times as the keyboard will allow. With arrangers these are called variations and you are given 4 dedicated buttons on the face of the keyboard. With a synth you copy this pattern and a number is assigned to the pattern. Most allow up to 50 variations of one pattern. You then go into the song sequencer and just pick where you want each variation to go. It's so easy creating intros, breaks, fills and so forth this way... You can choose which measure each variation(pattern) will go. Making an intro is so easy. If you want a 4 measure intro, you just dial up the pattern number you want at measure 5.. That's why I asked if you have the Motif in your store. The pattern sequencer in that should function very closely to that of the Yamaha EX-5/7...

Squeak

#152627 - 04/09/02 04:37 PM Re: Just an idea.............
DanO1 Offline

Ok ...just what I thought . You can do this with the Sd1 . I can globally copy an internal pattern up to 999 times directly on the hard drive of the SD1 . I can remix each pattern or modify the pattern . As long as the tempo's match ,I could call up a chain of patterns having different variations .
You see the Sd1 saves all patterns to the hard drive and you access them via pressing the keypad and calling them up by numbers . I could take one 16beat and remix it a multiple of times . As the style plays I could just enter 001 ,002 etc ....and the Sd1 moves to the next style . one after another ! dano

X1 owners can do this as well permitting they pay attention to the internal style storage . With the X1 you have RAM ....on the SD1 the styles are accessed off of a folder on the hard drive !

#152628 - 04/09/02 04:49 PM Re: Just an idea.............
squeak_D Offline

DanO,
When doing this with a synth you don't hear the pattern while you're assigning them to specific measures.. When you go into the pattern chain mode you'll see all the measures listed. The patterns aren't playing while doing this. Interesting the SD-1 does this... I'm curious, when changing the patterns on the SD-1 are these only recorded in real-time? Or can you call up a screen showing all available measures for the song and manually select where they go while the pattern is not playing?

Squeak

#152629 - 04/09/02 05:37 PM Re: Just an idea.............
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
DanO,
Interesting the SD-1 does this... I'm curious, when changing the patterns on the SD-1 are these only recorded in real-time? Or can you call up a screen showing all available measures for the song and manually select where they go while the pattern is not playing?

Squeak

Squeak .....patterns are remixed on the SD1 and X1 when they are not playing . You can only remix if the measures ( 4 measure loop) and time signature match . I can take a drum part from a latin style and a guitar strum from a country style and the patterns will syncipate ! But you can not do it measure by measure unless it's something you create .
You could record a pattern with one (or 2 or 16 even) measure loops and make multiple variations of that pattern . Than copy the pattern over and over onto the hard drive . that's posible . make sense ?
You can record in realtime onto the hard drive while your created patterns are being played . dano

#152630 - 04/09/02 05:43 PM Re: Just an idea.............
squeak_D Offline

Sounds like it works similiar to synths...

Squeak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online