SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#151880 - 04/28/05 10:37 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
OK... as a european I have to say something in defense of our friend from Frankfurt, because here in Italy we have a similar saying: when we are faced with something that is very difficult to accept we say that we have to "swallow the toad", just like I think that in the United States you say that you have "to swallow the crow", without implying with this a direct offense to the person who might have said the thing you have to swallow.
So.... "the toad" is not Jim, but instead what he said or proposed.

#151881 - 04/28/05 10:39 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
OK.... I see that Sheriff posted his own reply while I was still typing mine.

#151882 - 04/28/05 10:50 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
OK.... I see that Sheriff posted his own reply while I was still typing mine.

Nevertheless, thank you for trying to fit the broken line!!!
I think I would call it 'winged words'? Or something like 'idiom'?

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#151883 - 04/28/05 10:53 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
OK... as a european I have to say something in defense of our friend from Frankfurt, because here in Italy we have a similar saying: when we are faced with something that is very difficult to accept we say that we have to "swallow the toad", just like I think that in the United States you say that you have "to swallow the crow", without implying with this a direct offense to the person who might have said the thing you have to swallow.
So.... "the toad" is not Jim, but instead what he said or proposed.

OK, I believe here in the states it's "EATING CROW"....same difference...ok I accept the explaination...it seems that a few of us took offence at the remark even Scotty...it's a good example of what Bill..
Semi-Live -Music stated, to know where a poster lives could make the difference in how you (or we) understand the true meaning
or the post..at least we all agree to respect each other with our rights to have different opinions...Andre, it was very good of you to come to the defence of one of our members, I respect you for that, setting the
record straight....well done....

Tony Rome

#151884 - 04/28/05 10:59 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Sheriff. I feel a lot BETTER now realizing you meant no ill. It's certainly true that because this is an International forum, that the meaning of our words can often become easily be mis-contrued (mis-interpreted) among members (including myself). Because of this, I will try to pay especially close attention to this now myself. I'm glad we all can remain friends here. - Scott

#151885 - 04/28/05 11:19 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Alone&Forsaken Offline

Past it being funny as crap you made an off topic post to gripe about off topic posts...you do so after you told everyone " im gone folks and never coming back " from a topic you deleted ( lack of honor broken words ).

EVERY member on this board has made an off topic post. So do you just want everyone to shoot themselves in the foot for no reason?

When you left you said you were off to find better magical message boards somewhere that were exactly how you wanted them...lol yet your back trying to change these.

I might say some crazy stuff here time to time as do others...hahaha but ive never gone to the extreme of attempting to blanket limit freedom of speech through some forced artificial police action.

Now get mad at me at gripe...

" this is the exact reason I left people that dont think like me "

#151886 - 04/28/05 11:35 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Ok - so the consensus is that there is no problem with OT posts, they're just annoying.

Judging from the answers to your post, there seems to be a consensus about this, yes.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
And people don't leave because of OT posts, even if they say they do.

I don't think this was the consensus. If I didn't miss anything, I was the only one to state that, and I tried to explain why I think so.

Once again, I think there's nothing dramatic about some amount of OT posts (keeping in mind that many of them are music related and that does make some sense even in an arranger forum). Moreover, I believe that the atmosphere could easily be much less adverse with the simple attitude of ignoring half a dozen posts once in a while, and resisting to embark in the worsening of slight personality conflits.

But hey, I'm only a beginner, an amateur and a minor contributor to this forum; music and arranger keyboards are mostly fun for me, not work. Therefore the opinions of those who contribute more to make this forum 'live' should be highly regarded. 'cause we all want them back, of course! I can't say this enough: I own a lot to Jim, Donny and many others for everything I learned here!

Jim's idea of including a FAQ or some stikies is good and useful. Sorry for not having any 'original ideas' to 'improve this forum' but if I had one thing to say, I would say: "Guys, take it easy!".

-- José.

#151887 - 04/28/05 12:14 PM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Sheriff. I feel a lot BETTER now realizing you meant no ill...

...and I'm glad that you all understand the mistake I've made. I'm also glad that I had have the chance to apologize to Jim (Pro) and everybody who is reading these lines can see it!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#151888 - 04/28/05 01:06 PM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:

I enjoyed Donny's great company for such a long time, that I can't accept that silly excuse of "too much OT" for him to leave. All I can think of is that he's not doing well, otherwise he would not have this kind of reaction.
-- José.

It's that South Beach diet. He is irritable because he is missing his pasta.
Starkeeper

#151889 - 04/28/05 09:51 PM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Nigel....You are the owner, admin and in total control of this forum and you don't need anyone's permission to change or modify
anything...you have done a great job by yourself up to this point and I see nothing to indicate that you'll be needing any help now....please continue to do a great job..
Tony

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online