SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#151870 - 04/28/05 09:00 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I've just heard Uriah Heep's song "One Way Or Another" (High And Mighty - 1976)...

Comm'on everybody let's rock'n'swing!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#151871 - 04/28/05 09:02 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Jim (Esh), That was a great picture of you and Scott!

#151872 - 04/28/05 09:14 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
The primary reason people with something positive to contribute come to this forum is because we have arrangers in common... it's what defines us as a community and differentiates us from other musicians.

Oh, you think that you are other than other musicians? Wow, I have to stomach this toad...

I thought this forum is called SynthZone which means to me a zone for synthesizers not for arrangers...
I guess you're living in your own 'old' world and you're dreaming of that every thing won't change in time. Hey, that's not a shame - I'm likewise doing it. It's absolutely normal to feel strange if something changes. The wheels of our short lifes are turning on and on...

"WHEELS IN THE SKY KEEP ON TURNING!" - who made this song? I just forgot the band's name...what a blame...
------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-28-2005).]

#151873 - 04/28/05 09:31 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
to the genesys Offline

I honestly don’t see any thing wrong with the forum the way it is now.

I think that any extra rules, policing, restrictions on posting and a general censoring of postings would make the forum just another forum. It would loose that special ness about it. We may not get the free flow of ideas and suggestions like we are getting now. People may not be creative in their postings and may not want to share their musical experiences for fear of being censored. Not to mention the fact that it would be more work for one and even two moderators. Another moderator may not be as wise as Nigel and not know how to deal with different postings as Nigel and thus may cause even more people to leave.

Again, I don’t see anything wrong with the forum the way it is now.
Keep up the good Work Nigel!!

#151874 - 04/28/05 09:31 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
[b]The primary reason people with something positive to contribute come to this forum is because we have arrangers in common... it's what defines us as a community and differentiates us from other musicians.

Oh, you think that you are other than other musicians? Wow, I have to stomach this toad...

I thought this forum is called SynthZone which means to me a zone for synthesizers not for arrangers...
I guess you're living in your own 'old' world and you're dreaming of that every thing won't change in time. Hey, that's not a shame - I'm likewise doing it. It's absolutely normal to feel strange if something changes. The wheels of our short lifes are turning on and on...

"WHEELS IN THE SKY KEEP ON TURNING!" - who made this song? I just forgot the band's name...what a blame... [/B]

Sheriff....Though I respect you right to speak your mind and post your opinions, I don't believe that calling Jim a "toad" was called for....wasn't it you that stated in a few posts that we should respect each other
and refrain from name calling and slaming
the other members...you post some good posts
and your opinions are respected by me and I am upset that you would disrespect another member by calling him names...my friend, please, please let us all get along and learn from each other and share MUSIC and the
love of same.....thank you....
Tony Rome

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 04-28-2005).]

#151875 - 04/28/05 09:38 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Jim, I am not sure this version of UBB forum software can do a Sticky.

Okay, you asked for suggestions. Here's one.

Everyone send Nigel $5. If he so chooses to accept this suggestion. Obviously, it's his call. With the contributions, he can update the UBB software.

The latest versions of UBB (by Infopop) are fantastic. I made forum suggestions months ago and Nigel said this version could not do it. So, an update COULD do it.

For instance, I really like to know where a person is from. I mean, country, at least. It helps to know if you are communicating with someone outside your own country. It can even explain potential misreads in what they wrote.

All kinds of bells and whistles. Like show how many posts someone has made. For instance, if you see a ridiculous post by someone and you see "1" post, that's a red flag.

Another thing newer versions do that is SO helpful is show who posted LAST to a thread. You can tell if you've already read the thread.

As for OT threads, one more time, I see it as a total non-issue. You and I obviously differ on that. If OT threads ARE to be an issue, I'd like to know the score. Are they going to be allowed or not?

I also note someone did an OT today and did not preface it with "OT." People forget to do this but if you are drafting a Sticky, you could say "Please write "OT" before each off-topic post."

If a Sticky is drafted, here's another suggestion. Drives me bananas on ANY forum. I even wrote up a webpage but haven't posted it. It's about Subject titles. 95% of the titles on this particular forum are good. These are bad...

Hey look!
I have a question
Ever seen this?
Question

You get the idea.

Sometimes, there are gems underneath titles I never click on, I am sure.

One more. This is annoying. People who 'chat' back and forth about stuff that should be done via email. We're all guilty occasionally but sometimes, it gets out of hand. You waste your time reading stuff they should be discussing privately... post after post.

#151876 - 04/28/05 09:42 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
There's more to this unrest than OT posts. I felt it right around Christmas time. It's got more to do with the present chemistry than just some OTs. Sorry to say this, but I said it on a couple other posts - and tell me if I'm wrong, but the more recent ON TOPIC posts have not been that great, so the OT posts seem even weaker.

In my 2 years there have always been an abundance of OTs and we've all participated to one degree or another. What I've seen lately is an abundance of what I would call immature posts. They seemed to be overly simple and needless. But, maybe that was due to a number of new members I noticed right around the end of 2004. To the SZ'z benefit it has attracted even more members. NOW I see that even the newer members are posting better and more mature threads.

Jim, you're the same ol' ornery cuss I met when I first joined and I love you for that. You bring a lot to the table. I do think things are getting better and these type of posts may have actually helped us flush out our feelings. Stick with us, if even on a limited basis. The SZ always has something for everyone.

#151877 - 04/28/05 09:47 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Bill....excellant idea....the new format could also include a Private Message feature
whereby members can comunicate with one another without posting on the forum...
Tony Rome

#151878 - 04/28/05 10:23 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:

Sheriff, I'm shocked at your acerbic reply to Jim (the Pro), especially after having thought you to be such a friendly ez going player here. I need to stand up to personally vouch (having met him personally) that Jim is neither a toad or bad person. On the contrary, he & his wife Sheila are a terrific couple that I throughly enjoyed meeting while in Florida. Jim (Esh) I suppose just can't hold back expressing strong & often controversial sentiments (some which I agree and others I do not).

Quote:

Yes, the overall Synthzone website itself is intended for synthesizer enthusiasts, but this specific forum entitled: "General Arranger Keyboard Forum" is specifically dedicated to 'Arranger Keyboard' discussion, of which there is NO OTHER place on the web of its kind where we can freely discuss & openly express our opinion on any/all brands of arrangers & arranger keyboard music making without fear or censorship. Because there are already countless scores of Synthesizer forums out there to visit already, Some degree of OT-other music related, or personal trivia is of course expected (and welcome by me) of course, but I concur with Jim that PRESERVING the focus of our forum as an ARRANGER KEYBOARD specific discussion group essential. Just my opinion as usual.

Scott

#151879 - 04/28/05 10:34 AM Re: OT: A civil discussion about OT threads
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
Sheriff....Though I respect you right to speak your mind and post your opinions, I don't believe that calling Jim a "toad" was called for...

Nonono, Tony! Please, don't missunderstand me!!! I didn't call 'Jim' a 'toad' - I meant the sense that he permitted with his words (as far as I could understand). All I tried to say was a german spell in english...that may could have brought some irritations. I'm really sorry for the missunderstanding!!!

All I would say with it was that it's really hard for me to believe that an arranger means that he has a little to do with musicians.
I don't know anything about your friend Jim and so there is absolutely no reason for me to treat him. Maybe I could learn a lot from him...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online