SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151638 - 09/18/06 12:32 AM Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Once more I bring you my personal report on the Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK which will most likely be added to by fellow synth zone members who attended.
Be aware that these are my personal views; however I will also add comments and expressions from other Festival goers.
Another point to note is that during the day many events are going on simultaneously, and so only the ones I attended can be reported on.
MONDAY
The journey to Pakefield was uneventful and took about 7 hrs, (With stops) as I arrived too early to sign in, I had a good walk around this new site (For the festival anyway) before listening to performances from various Artists in the concert hall, and I also bumped into Graham UK, so we had a good chat.
Monday night started with Daniel Watt playing the Wersi Spectra organ with the Wersi OAS Expander and Bose PAS speakers, and what a performance compared to the one at the Blackpool Festival, whether Big Band, Orchestral or easy Listening, he certainly made full use of the Akai samples and VST instruments loaded into the OAS Expander, nifty foot work on a lot of the songs also added to the feeling that he was enjoying himself. A lot of use was made of his own recorded backings (Which means everything matched were it was supposed too) rather then having to rely on styles all the time, (Exceptions are the Real Drums, which being live recordings by a real drummer are difficult to match) the Bose speaker system was also set up far better then at Blackpool, and although still giving a slightly hard sound, they really showed there potential.
Second Artist was Chris Jones playing his Yamatec organ (A combination of Yamaha US1 and Technics KN7000 built into a single unit) and again the performance improvement over Blackpool was amazing, thus giving a well balanced performance, particularly noticeable was the KN7000 which although now no longer made. Still has a lot of sounds on board that easily match any of the current instruments (If only Technics was still going)
Third up was Nicholas Martin on the Technics FA1, which to my ears seemed to have a rather hard sound, also as he is more a Theatre Organist and so the style (which I enjoy in moderation) did start to get to me as the performance continued, however he played some cracking marches, and the James Bond theme was brilliant, the tune he will be mainly remembered for though, was his high speed performance of 12 Street Rag,
It was also obvious from the audience applause that he was the Artist of the night, although personally I preferred Chris Jones performance.
The final act were Keyklix featuring Richard Bower and Ian Griffin playing various keyboards with some cracking sounds coming from the Tyros including Sax, Brass, Flute etc, however the Guitar sounds were as is usual for Yamaha not to my liking, (I have a passion for Guitars and listen to them played live regularly, and while Yamaha were getting there with the Mega voices, the latest SA Guitars seem to have gone a step backwards) a full varied performance continued with a cracking Pedal Solo from Richard Bower, and not to be outdone Ian Griffin produced his own Drum solo using the manual drums on the keyboard.
Once again, a great start to the festival.
The late night show in the Princes bar was by Yamaha featuring the Clavinova and Tyros 2 played by James Sergeant and Richard Bower, and which also featured some of the new additions for Tyros 2, specifically a tie up between Yamaha UK and Hammond UK who produce the pedal boards and the Genuine Leslie cabinet for use with the Tyros 2 Organ sounds. (Im certainly looking forward to see what else Yamaha have up there sleeve)
A great finish to the night.

TUESDAY MORNING
Met old friends and took a further good look round the site before going into the Princes bar for a demonstration of the Tyros 2 by James Sergeant, the main point was to show how easy the instrument is to play straight out of the box, and I have to admit it is one of the best I have seen for ease of play. (If only it had a touch screen, could play other manufactures voice samples and VST instruments, and designed so as to be totally upgradeable, so that you dont have to change it every 2Yrs, it really would be a top keyboard)
One thing that did take me by surprise however was the fact that I found all the Piano sounds that were used, sounded very unimpressive, which for a Yamaha is most unusual. (Perhaps it was the sound system or acoustics that were the cause of the problem)
One thing I can say about the Tyros 2, is that I would imagine that very few people would be disappointed if they purchased one, but it is just not a keyboard for me.
As expected the hardware variations to include the Number and type of keyboards, pedals and Leslies can now be set up with very simply. (Choose your combination on the screen, press enter and away you go)
Further details of the software upgrade will be demonstrated later in the week, and will be available from the Yamaha Club from October 2006. (You will need to purchase the Reggistick first)
TUESDAY AFTERNOON
First off was Bill Irwin; however he was playing piano in a style which I was not too keen on, and so I decided to take in the sun, returning for Ian Griffins Solo concert playing Ketron and other keyboards, and the performance he gave was very middle of the road and great to listen too during an afternoon concert.
I then moved over to the Princes Bar to catch the later part of Richard Bowers performance on Clavinova, which was again a great performance for an afternoon.
TUESDAY EVENING
Tony Pegler started the proceedings playing the Clavinova giving a nice and professional concert; the only downside was the sound which had an overall muffled sound, thus the music tended to loose the flow.
James Sergeant was on second, playing mainly organ sounds on the Tyros 2, unfortunately although the performance was fine, the muffled sound was even worse and completely robbed the Tyros 2 of all life. (If you have heard the Tyros 2 with its own Yamaha recommended speaker system, you will know what I mean by muffled)
Jazz Player Steve Lowdell was up next playing the Orla GT8000 and Korg PA1X Pro, and what a performance, it cant be put into words, you just have to listen to it, he also played a classical melody which went down extremely well.
He then moved on to the Korg which was a totally different sound and very upfront (A bit too much upfront for my liking) but certainly listenable.
Next up was Peter Hayward playing the Clavinova with another brilliant performance, finishing off with the Legend of the Glass Mountain.
Final Artist was Claudia Hirshfeld on the Wersi Scala, and unlike other Wersi Artists she does not use Akai Samples or VST instruments, so you get to hear what just the organ itself is capable of, (Although all the styles etc are programmed by herself so as to match the music she play), and as per usual her footwork added to a fine performance, although I that I found some of the tunes she played were at too high a volume for the size of the concert hall
Overall a good performance.
The overall night was fairly mixed, with the most popular Artist (From Audience Applause) being a coin toss between Steve Lodell and Peter Hayward.
Moved over to the Princes Bar were Alan Haven was playing his own style of Jazz, and if you ever get the chance to see him, do so immediately, he is absolutely brilliant.
WENDSDAY MORNING
This started off with an informal concert and a question and answer session with Claudia Hirshfeld, and what a difference in sound from the night before, the instrument was superb sounding with all the music she played, with no hint of blowing you out of the room with too much volume.
I then had a casual walk in the sun before moving on to the Wersi stand where Claudia Hirshfeld was performing another concert outside on the terrace, (And even with just the internal speakers it still sounded quite good, even though it was out in the open) with an appreciative audience.
WENDSDAY AFTERNOON
A final informal concert with Claudia Hirshfeld, before she had to leave to catch her flight back to Germany.
Rod Pooly was next in the theatre, playing the Korg PA1X with a good rounded performance, which featured some great Solo sounds and styles.
Final Artist was Steve Lodell, initially paying country on the Korg PA1X Pro, before moving onto the Orla GT8000 to get back into the Jazz style for which he is famous.
WENDESDAY EVENING
The performance could easily have been called the Lowery Night (As the compare mentioned) as most of the Artists used the Lowery Instrument.
First off was Tom Horton, an Artist who I had not heard of before, (But apparently has been on the scene for a few years) his performance I thought was outstanding with whatever type of music he played, and I certainly look forward to see him play again.
Next up was Robert Wolf, who is most definitely a Theatre Organist and gave a performance that was technically brilliant, but didnt seem to have any feeling, (It sounded more like a Recital then a Concert) however the audience loved it even better than the performance by Tom Horton.
Next up was the one and only Dennis Awe, a Flamboyant American Entertainer whose dexterity can be summed up by his last name. (An Awesome performance)
Final Artist was Chris Powell playing the Roland Atelier, and boy did he make it sing, but the most impressive tune for me was his rendition of Orpheus in the Underworld by Offenbach, which to a lot of people will mean very little, but when I mention the last part of it Is called the Can Can, I am sure most people will now know the tune.
All the Artists Foot Dexterity on the Pedals were brilliant, I just wish I could play as good as that with my hands.
The Audience Applause was pretty similar for all the Artists, with Dennis Awe just creeping ahead, for me however it was joint first between Tom Horton and Chris Powel.
Onto the Princes Bar for the Korg Jam Night, featuring the Korg demonstrators, including Rod Pooly who did some scintillating duets with Jazz Player Steve Lowdell, thus we had a great finish to the night.
THURSDAY MORNING
Informal chat with Dennis Awe which included playing tips on how to accurately get the sound you want.
Second was and informal chat with Chris Powell again with playing tips.
Finally we were into scales and arpeggios with Peter Hayward, including how they relate to playing music. The results are actually quite obvious when they have been explained. (And no it is not just for finger dexterity)
THURSDAY AFTERNOON
Saw the unveiling of a new Hammond, which was more modern looking then the norm, however it is designed for home uses, as the style of the instrument is not really suitable for being on the road.
Second was an informal concert on the Roland stand with Chris Powel.
Finally martin Orbidans made a return appearance after 10 years out of the country, I did not stay long at this performance as he is playing in concert tonight.
THURSDAY EVENING
First Artist was David Ingley playing Technics, who gave an excellent start to the evening with a wide repertoire of music, including some played without any styles or midi, etc, so that you really did here a live performance.
Second Artist of the evening was Howard Beaumont playing the Mighty Allen Theatre Organ, (Electronic not Pipe) again no styles or midi was used throughout the entire performance, (Although you certainly would not have realised it) just brilliant playing ability. (Not everyones cup of tea, but if you ever get the chance to see a Theatre Player have a listen, just to see what can be achieved without the use of automatics)
Next up was Martin Orbidans who has not long returned from Egypt, where he has been for the last 10yrs or so, his performance was not just a concert but involved the audience, (Plenty of singing and clapping here) so plenty of entertainment here, however due the amount of people in the concert hall, his trademark performance of playing trumpet while marching around the hall was very limited. (Definitely recorded backings from the Electone here)
Final Artist was Naughty but Nice Andrew Nix playing the Roland Atelier, who as well as giving an excellent concert also added plenty of jokes, anecdotes and all round entertainment.
A Great Finish to the nights concert performances.
Over in the Princes Bar Keyklix were doing there usual brilliant entertainment on Yamaha and Ketron keyboards, and we even had the vocal talents of Daniel Watt. (Although when some of the audience got up and did Line Dancing to a couple of songs I thought I was in the wrong venue. (As you have no doubt guessed I am not a fan of Line Dancing))
Performers and dancing went on into the early morning, and again ended the day on another high.
FRIDAY MORNING
A question and answer session with Howard Beaumont on the Allan Theatre Organ, which also included how to create your own rhythm without a drum unit.
It was then a trip over to the Princes Bar to see Richard Bower demonstrating the PSR3000, which was great to listen too, but sound wise the PSR3000 does sound old and Yamaha really need to bring out a new version, particularly as the prices of the new Roland E50/60 (76 Notes) will most likely be in the same price bracket, also new lower range Korgs will probably be released as well, creating even further competition.
FRIDAY AFTERNOON
Yamaha were showing the new organ nostalgic sounds on the new reggistick for Tyros 2, this included the use of the new Leslie Cabinet. (You cannot use any Leslie Cabinet only this specially designed one)
The sounds produced were excellent and nobody will have to worry about not having good organ sounds.
FRIDAY EVENING
Chris Stanbury was the first to play using his Yamaha Stagea, with the predominant type of music being Big Band, and if you like Big Band then you would have wished he would have played all night. (The Big Band sounds literally were Big Band) I first heard Chris Stanbury last year at Caister were he gave a very good performance, (See last years Caister report) however the improvement over last year was quite amazing for such a short space of time, and as he is still relatively young, so the future definitely looks bright.
Next up was the Maestro Himself, the One and Only Brian Sharp, who as per usual gave a cracking performance.
Third up was Janet Dowsett on her Yamaha El 900, with again another polished performance.
Final Artist was Tony Stace playing his Yamaha HX1 which although now almost 20yrs old still gives a good performance. As per usual his styles featured all types of music, which combined with a good interaction with the audience (Not forgetting his unique footwork playing style) gave a great finish to the night.
Over in the Princes Bar Steve Lodell was having his late night Jazz session with friends, which normally means a great end to the night. (I myself was too tired to attend, but have been to his previous late nights, and I have always had a fantastic time)
STATURDAY MORNING
Chris Stanbury was doing a teach in session on the Stagea which was informative, and interestingly unlike Yamahas Arranger keyboards, it had a touch screen and more real time switches. (Buttons) The sounds and styles use a combination of the Tyros and Clavinova range.
Over to the Korg stand where a question and answer session was in progress by Brett Wales on the PA1X, and while a couple of tunes were done with his own styles, all the rest used the standard styles and voices, which allowed him to show how to mix and match to get the sounds/styles required. (The teach in also showed how the board could be played without any automatics at all)
SATURDAY AFTERNOON
First off was Tony Stace on the HX1, and just like the previous night, one hell of a performance no matter what type of music played. Another point to note was that because the instrument is almost 20yrs old, there are no Styles like you get on a modern instrument, just simple rhythm and accompaniment backing, which means the orchestration in the playing, is actually played by the performer.
Paul Carman was next with his usual laid back performance on the Orla, which also included a duet with Brian Sharp on Piano.
Final Artist was Brian Sharp who gave a brilliant performance as usual, and once again a great finish to the afternoon.
SATURDAY EVENING
First up was David Harried playing the Roland E80, and the sound was way improved since Blackpool, with a much more forward live sound, interestingly some of the tunes featured an attached Midi Pedal board for live Bass, which also showcased how the E80 can be played without any automatics.
Second was David Thomas on the Roland Atelier, and overall gave a fine performance, but I have heard him play better.
Third was Tim Flint also on Roland Atelier with his usual repartee and playing performance, also like all the other Artists his range of playing styles was very wide covering a number of musical genres.
Final Artist was Tony Fenelon making a rare UK appearance, and from the first it looked like a really promising performance, however for me he completely killed the Beatles medley and from then on (For Me) the performance went downhill, although the rest of the audience seemed to really enjoy it.
When the Princes Bar opened for the late night session I drifted across and was surprised how many people were already there. (Tony Fenelons performance also not to there taste)
A great late night show from Brett Wales, although I thought he didnt seem quite as relaxed as usual, however everybody there enjoyed the playing which went on late into the night.
SUNDAY MORNING
Tim Flint was doing a question and answer session in his own imitable style with some insights into playing professionally.
Over in the Princes Bar Richard Bower was playing on the Clavinova, which as well as demonstrating what the Clavinova is capable of, was also a nice relaxing listen.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON
The usual Cavalcade forum started the proceedings allowing everybody to air any grievances and also suggest items for the next festival.
This was followed by the usual Sunday Hymns.
Over in the Yamaha forum they were answering questions and explaining the direction that Yamaha are going with their instruments, (At least in the UK) and the future certainly looks bright. (Go to the Yamaha Club web site for more details)
SUNDAY EVENING
Reg Rawlings began the evening with his Midi Accordion and Roland FR Expander, and since I saw him last time he has added more samples to the Roland, however unlike the last time I found the new samples a bit disappointing.
Second up was the Longhorn Trio playing various Yamaha keyboards and Electone, plus a couple of Real Saxophones, and wow what a performance as they swapped round on the keyboards, and let the Sax rip. (Interestingly there had been some great Sax sounds from the various boards during the Festival, but none came anywhere near close to the real instrument)
Third was Brett Wales, who as per usual gave a brilliant performance, with the audience well enthralled with the playing.
Due to the Long drive home I left before the final Artist, but I am sure Jean Martin gave a brilliant performance, in spite of the broken foot.
GENERAL
Overall the Festival was a great place to be, however I will say that it is not the best that I have attended, (But I cant actually put a finger on why not) however I have already booked for next year.
The main item that stood out at the show was the new reggistick and hardware combinations that will shortly be available for Tyros 2, and which really takes Tyros 2 to a whole new level. (Unfortunately it will only be available for the UK market)
Best performance of the show is difficult, as I didnt hear any that really stood out from the others, although if pushed I would say it would probably be Chris Powell on the Roland Atelier.
The best mainstream keyboard at the show was the Korg PA1X/Roland E80/Yamaha Tyros 2, (Particular with the new additions) each of them having their own strengths and weaknesses, so try them all and see which suits you.
As was mentioned in the first Prime Time Magazine from Wersi last year, (And a lot of other keyboard magazines and web sites since) Wersi are pushing to bring there instruments to a wider audience, (And not just in the UK) and are continuing to push forward their OAS software, (Which if the latest OAS 7 is anything to go by, means we should see some exciting features in the future) hopefully like other manufactures they will also be increasing their presence on the web. (One of the best and cheapest ways to bring musical instruments to a wider audience, and create a real global family)
Anyway to finish off, I hope you found the report interesting and that in the future more members will be able to attend the festivals.
As I mentioned at the beginning, the above comments are my personal views on the festival, and so may or may not be the same as the rest of the public that attended the Festival.
Enjoy Whatever You Play.

Bill

#151639 - 09/18/06 02:18 AM Re: Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

SUNDAY EVENING
Reg Rawlings began the evening with his Midi Accordion and Roland FR Expander, and since I saw him last time he has added more samples to the Roland, however unlike the last time I found the new samples a bit disappointing.

Sorry, Bill, what is Roland FR Expander? I never heard about it.

#151640 - 09/18/06 03:45 AM Re: Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by o3bor:
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
[b]
SUNDAY EVENING

Sorry, Bill, what is Roland FR Expander? I never heard about it.

[/B]

Sorry about that it should be XR, here is a link. http://www.totaltransformation.co.uk/about.html for Reg Rawlings

Bill

#151641 - 09/18/06 04:20 AM Re: Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Bill (Abacus) (It was nice to meet you bill) has given a very good full report of the Keyboard Festival UK so I can add very little.
We had a great week with excellent hot sunny weather, the only rain was through the night. The Yamaha team James Sargent & Richard Bower produced some excellent tutorials on T2..3K..& CVP309. I have to give them 10 out of 10 for their enthusiasm and the willingness to answer in some cases silly questions.
A new Piano-Arranger DGX602 88 fully weighted keys was demonstrated and is remarkable value at 599 UK Pounds.
The T2 Reg-stick has taken many hours of work to produce 400 registrations for (T2 only) and is available at a very low price. This is good customer support finally Yamaha.
There are future plans to provide FREE Music Finder Data covering different genre to be available later this year.
KORG are shortly to launch a PA800, stated to be below the PAX and should retail between 1500 - 1800.
Roland showed the E80 but no E60 or E50 available at show time. Lack of Demonstration support from Roland was very evident.
Overall a very enjoyable 7 nights with 3 meals a day means we have put on far to much weight.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 09-18-2006).]

#151642 - 09/18/06 04:26 AM Re: Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Thank you, Bill, for your excellent report.

Taike

#151643 - 09/18/06 03:11 PM Re: Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Bill: Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Sure wish they had a Keyboard Festival like that on this side of the pond. Since organs are not as popular here and people are less likely to travel cross-country than in the UK I doubt we will ever see it.

Did yamaha UK say when they would make more details about the Tyros specific upgrades available on-line or do you know of any place else on the web where they have listed details?

#151644 - 09/18/06 09:38 PM Re: Pakefield Keyboard Festival UK Report
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
RobertG. There are new OS for Tyros. 3K 15K & CVP's available to download now from Yamaha.
A few things have changed including a new page screen MUSIC Finder ready for the new Music Finder Updates which will be available shortly.
It appears you have to register your product on IDC to be able to download the new Music Finder Data.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online