SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151505 - 02/01/01 11:26 AM Best song writing arranger?
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi folks. I was wondering which arranger you all feel is best for song composition. I currently do my song composing the "old fashioned" way using a pc sequencer (cakewalk pro audio 9) and get drum and accomp through biab and jammer pro. My wife and I want to go "live" but I would like to retain the writing/sequencing capabilities I currently enjoy via cakewalk. The Korg I30, MZ2000 and GEM WK8 seem to allow faily precise editing on a midi level. Granted no hardware device may yet rival a software sequencer but when inspiration strikes it would be nice to be at your keyboard of choice and just start composing. So I guess I should be asking what arranger would be most suited for composing as well a occasional live play?

[This message has been edited by Vic01 (edited 02-01-2001).]

#151506 - 02/01/01 11:44 AM Re: Best song writing arranger?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
GEMWK8SE (do not forget the SE).

I have used it and when you really really learn it, it becomes easier than software. IT is quite powerful, although I have expensive professional software, I have done my work on the sk880(cousin of wk8) so far.

#151507 - 02/02/01 04:41 AM Re: Best song writing arranger?
Vic01 Offline

Thanks for the reply sk880user. From want I've read, the GEM's have very good midi editing capabilities. Even the new Casio MZ2000 can edit to event level. I know I can dump a sequence back into Cakewalk if I need to. It would be nice to keep it all on the keyboard though.

#151508 - 02/02/01 06:31 AM Re: Best song writing arranger?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Vic,
Take a midi sequnce that you have created and try and find a store that has a good selection . You may have to visit a 2 stores.
Listen to how each keyboard plays a midi file.
I am pro Ketron/Solton keyboards . I have always thought that for sequence playback that Ketron is best .
Now inregards to editing midi files on the Solton keyboards, I have an X1 with a hard drive and vocal harmony kit . You have the ability to save sequeces directly on the hard drive . You can edit the sequence ( voice delete,voice changes,reverb settings,chorus settings ) while you are listening to the sequence . After renaming the sequence the changes are stored on the hard drive .
You also have the ability to copy that sequence into the internal sequencer if you like . You can alter or edit the sequence and copy it back to the hard drive .
It really comes down to sound quality. The Ketron keybords have always had the best midi file playback in my opinion .
Ketron X1HDV or the newer SD1 is my recommendation. You can email me direct oneils4@home.com , guitarcenterdno@hotmail.com or call me at Guitar Center in Towson Maryland 410 821 5200. Dan O

#151509 - 02/02/01 07:43 AM Re: Best song writing arranger?
Vic01 Offline

Thanks Dan for your reply. The Solton series seem like very capable boards especailly for live work. Do you know off hand what the note capacity of the sequencer is? Its probably been mentioned here before. I'll do a search through the forum and their website too. I see George Kaye just listed a WK6 in the wanted to buy and sell section for 1995.00

#151510 - 02/02/01 11:25 AM Re: Best song writing arranger?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Vic,
The sequencer has I believe 30,000 notes and upgradeable to 200,000.
I personally know George Kaye. He is reaching out for business , just like I am reaching out for business.
George has to sell against Guitar Center's,Sam Ashe and Mars. It is great to see him stay competitive. However, there is one thing that a "Big Box" store has to offer. These stores are good for the consumer. I just happen to be one of the few people who feel comfortable with arranger keyboards and I happen to work for a Biggest Box store .....Guitar Center . I will not put prices on this forum. It is Guitar Center's policy to have the best prices. So good luck and I hope to hear from you. Dan O
PS...the SD1 has a 200,000 note sequencer out of the box .
One other thing ....please keep in mind that it is very easy to select a style and record directly to the hard drive on the X1 series.
If you record it correctly, then no need to use the dedicated sequencer at all !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online