SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#151265 - 07/27/02 04:12 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
[/dragon\] Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hey die Marcel,

I started following keyboard-lessons four years ago (I was 14 at that time). I really enjoyed (and still enjoy) playing. Now, however, I really wish I had learned to play piano first. Because if you can play piano, you can play keyboard, but if you can play keyboard, it doesn't mean that you can play piano.
I would choose the piano if I were you, but this is a decision you have to make yourself.

Maurice

#151266 - 07/27/02 07:53 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Thank you all for your help, I think I'll take piano lessons after the vacation,But I don't have the money to buy a (Digital) piano yet, so I'll just have to use my keyboard.
But can someone tell my what to buy (when I have the money), 'cause I don't know much about digital piano's.

Thanks,
Marcel

#151267 - 07/27/02 08:06 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Marcel,
Here is a link that might help
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gPSP00005P120S

I`m not sure of the price. but I don`t think it is to pricey.
Best of luck with your lessons, and have fun
jedi

#151268 - 07/27/02 08:11 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Marcel,
There are MANY fine digital piano options out there to choose from (Yamaha, Kawai, Technics, Roland, Korg, etc) and I'm sure everyone here has their favorite, but like I suggested earlier, I think it better to FIRST find a good piano teacher to study with who can evaluate your individual musical needs & goals. They can then 'work with you to find the most appropriate keyboard for YOU. - Scott

#151269 - 07/27/02 08:18 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Marcel,
If money will be tight, I would suggest a few things for you to consider. The Korg SP200 sells right around $800.00 in the US and has 88 weighted graded hammer action keys and over 40 sounds. The Yamaha PA80 is about $100.00 more ($899.00) and add a few more features. Both of these need powered speakers but that can be a home stereo or computer type powered speakers which can run as little as a few dollars.
At the next level would be as Squeak mentioned the Yamaha YDP121, but this has been discontinued and a new model the YDP113 will be replacing it at around $1000.00. The difference between the YDP series and the others I've mentioned is the YDP look more like a real piano with less voices and features than the SP or P series I've mentioned first.
If you would like a great feeling piano with arranger features take a look at the Korg SP500 for around $1500.00. It has everything an arranger keyboardist wants except for a floppy disk drive. This is a lightweight alternative and a "best of both worlds" keyboard. Piano/Arranger and inexpensive.
There are some $500.00 options as well from Yamaha with 88 keys, but these are not hammer weighted type and feel more like a "keyboard synth" action. Yamaha YPP200 is one model and coming out later this year is the DGX500 for about $795.00 that will be an arranger/88key Light Action/disk drive, built in speaker model.
Roland also makes some nice digital pianos, but they start above $1000.00 for 88 weighted keys. A new model from them just shown at the Summer NAMM show for under $700.00 only has 76 keys and light action (model is EP760). Two new pianos with graded hammer actions have been introduced by between $1200 -$1800.00
This is a start at what I would be looking at.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#151270 - 07/27/02 07:59 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Marcel,
Over the past few years, at least once a year, someone I know tries to give their piano away. Recently someone at work mentioned that they had a fantastic piano but their wife had passed away and they no longer wanted it in the house. I posted it to my friends and within 24 hours I got a few responses and now the piano is gone. But if you ask and look around there are cheap or even free pianos around that may be in good enough condition just to learn and then go from there. Check out the want ads in your area. Good luck and follow your dreams.
- Brian

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online