SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#151255 - 07/26/02 01:08 PM Keyboard or piano?
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, My name is Marcel and I'm from The Netherlands, I'm 16 years old.
I'm playing keyboard for 9 months now and I enjoy doing it, but most of the time I play piano on my keyboard.
So I think it would be better to take piano lessons instead. And someone told me that it would be better to learn playing the piano first instead of keyboard, because the keys of a keyboard respond different than the keys of a piano.
I don't know what to do!!!
Should I exchange my keyboard for a digital piano?
Who can give me some advice?

Greetz,
Marcel

#151256 - 07/26/02 01:14 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Welcome to the forum! If you're going to take lessons I would suggest you get a piano... Granted keyboards are nice with all the toys they come with, if you're going to learn piano you might as well do it right.. You'll need the full 88 keys that are weighted.. What you might want to consider too is a nice digital piano... Yamaha has a nice one out that's just over $1000. I think it's the YP121 or something like that.. It has fully weighted keys, 3 pedals.. It looks, plays and feels like a real piano... Plus you'll never have to pay to have it tuned! It will always sound nice..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#151257 - 07/26/02 01:37 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Marcel, WELCOME to the Synthzone arranger forum, I concur with Squeak. I would say if you're serious about playing solo piano, then it would be most beneficial to invest in an acoustic piano, or a digital keyboard or synth which has 88 'fully weighted' keys. The advantage is that you'll have much more control of dynamics, running scales, etc, developing a solid foundation of good pianistic technique which can then be transfered to synth arranger playing. Though you can certainly play piano sounds on a synth action board, you won't be able to accomplish what you can with fully weighted keys. Good luck with your piano lessons. PS: You might consult your piano teacher for a recommendation of a piano (acoustic or digital) to best suit your needs. - Scott

#151258 - 07/26/02 04:27 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Hello Wazza.

I had a decent spell with 5 octave arrangers myself when deciding enough was enough. I play Piano, and the bouncy action of these arrangers (and Synths) where crippling my piano technique (especially if I spent more time on the 5 octave arranger than the Weighted Piano. So I went and brought myself a Digital Piano. with an arranger built in! (like best of both worlds - even if $6000 was the financial result of it all .

I now enjoy playing a top Roland Digital Piano with Graded hammer action, and escapement. I could never revert to the plasticy/bouncy 5 octave arranger that I once played. I don't gig, so it's ok for me. There are so many digitals out Wazza, that you will be spoilt for choice I guess, no matter what the price range. My piano has GREAT tone as well has a superb Grand piano action. However, I would say go for the better action first, then tone second. If you are buying a starter piano, you can always "upgrade" to a better "toned" one later. But if you have a flimsy action one like say a Roland RS9 (88 key), your technique may suffer for the future. Get the best piano action you can Wazza...it will pay dividends!. If ever I did buy a 5 octave synth again, it would just be used as a "complimnent" to my piano I guess

J5

#151259 - 07/26/02 08:17 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Wazza,
Even though I started on an "Organ (L100)" If your going to learn "Piano" then it should be done with a piano for all of the reasons stated. However, IMO , it can`t hurt mess`n around with a keyboard from time to time As long as you "stick" with your lessons. The piano is a great way to learn to compose and IMO the basic instrument (along with the Guitar, of course)
O-BTW, "Welcome to our family and the best corner of the web" everyone here is a BIG help so post if you need us (or just to keep in touch) !!
jedi

#151260 - 07/26/02 09:35 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Hi Wazza,
Welcome to the group. I'm new myself. I agree with the previous postings about the piano. I have both and I still get a better control and response when I am playing my piano. The other keyboards I have played have nice cute things with them but for learning purposes the piano is the best for the basics.

- Brian

#151261 - 07/26/02 09:58 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Pianos are o.k. but it's hard to carry one under your arm.
Don

#151262 - 07/26/02 11:06 PM Re: Keyboard or piano?
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Nah, I used to play a grand piano in the marching band. Part of my aerobics program.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with them. In the past when I went to different places it was nice to have a portable keyboard with me since the pianos that were avaialable were not in the best of shape (read good for boat anchors). But even with all the beatings from putting the keyboards in and out of the car it still was fine.

- Brian

#151263 - 07/27/02 12:28 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Marcel,

It seems to me that most of the replies you've had up to now are from current keyboardists who graduated from piano. They surely came to a time when they wanted to reduce the hard work of accompanying a melody with the left hand , which on a piano is damned hard work
As you are only 16 (I don't think I was ever 16 and it's too painful to try and remember) , I would suggest that you have a good beginning with your keyboard to play music. The question you need to ask yourself is 'do I want to become an accomplished pianist? or do I want to make fantastic music in the easiest possible way?
It would be of course extremely helpful if you learn independently all about the theory of music but it isn't necessary to have to play the piano (as opposed to keyboard) to achieve that.
Hope this helps
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#151264 - 07/27/02 03:41 AM Re: Keyboard or piano?
Roel Offline

Hoi Marcel,

Welcome to the forum !
I myself started playing organ at the age of 10 (I'm 46 now ) and play keyboards since 15 years.
The Ketron SD1 has a great piano-sound and the keys are 'semi-weighted' so I too like playing 'piano'..... I wish I had started with piano lessons.

To be honest, I'm a (so called) Autodidact and tought myself playing organ after 5 years of classic trumpet lessons.

Anyway : Glad you joined this family !

Frieslan boppe !

Roel
Coevorden

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online