SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#151173 - 04/18/06 08:32 AM Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

It's been a year or so since I made the switch from my 3k's to the Midjay....& honestly it sounds great because I made it sound great thru tweaking, editing, converting, slicing & dicing... etc, etc, etc. I dont know why in the past I have been in Tyros 1/2 Denial maybe its just the thrill of change for me, who knows?...I performed with many units thru the years also ....most were very good for the same reasons stated above.....but theres just something missing in my musical performance that I cant put a finger on & heres lies my thought on maybe its not having a Tyros 2?
In the past Ive acted brovadidly weird toward other Tyros users & for that I apologize, no harm intended, I embrace anyone who plays music live from their heart....so can Tyros people dig down in your souls and make me a T2 believer again somehow thru your replies & who knows maybe I'll come back over from the darkside

Thanx

PS.. I know Scott Yee is laughing his butt off

#151174 - 04/18/06 08:39 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning!!!

#151175 - 04/18/06 08:45 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

That's not an applause ;handclaps]...it is suppose to be a drum roll!!!!

#151176 - 04/18/06 08:51 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Just play the T2 for a hour,and youre sold

Soryt/Impuls

#151177 - 04/18/06 09:16 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
You often say that it's the musician not the instrument. I do believe that, but I don't have your abilities, so for me, the quality of the voices IS very important to me. A good quality voice makes me more willing to play it.
Starkeeper

#151178 - 04/18/06 09:27 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Starkeeper Offline

Why not wait for the PSR3100? Many musician's here couldn't tell the difference between the PSR3000 and Tyros.
Starkeeper

#151179 - 04/18/06 09:38 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You're not gonna like the drums after hearing the Midjay.
DonM

#151180 - 04/18/06 10:14 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
How about keeping the Midjay and using the T2 as a midi keyboard

#151181 - 04/18/06 10:46 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
NOW WHO !!! was it said it's the player not the keyboard that makes a good performance ?.

#151182 - 04/18/06 11:37 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
If you're content with 60 keys and don't wanna loose the Ketron sounds, wait till you see/hear the SD5... you'll love it. I'll be posting a review on the SD5 before weeks end.

Glenn

#151183 - 04/18/06 11:57 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Thanx for the replies .....now Im really confused.........yes my abilities as a player make most arranger KB's sound good due to years of experience........some of your answers do not reflect other concerns as a every day pro on stage KB performer....there is much more involved in making a decision to use a Kb for me .....navagation, weight, transportability, as less gear to accomplish the job as possible is mandatory...dont get me wrong the MIDJAY sounds incredible.........maybe I need a smaller conroller like Don's Edirol PCR M80?
who knows? Or maybe its just my finicky ways......but my wheels are ticking away!!

#151184 - 04/18/06 12:03 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Thanx for the replies .....now Im really confused.........yes my abilities as a player make most arranger KB's sound good due to years of experience........some of your answers do not reflect other concerns as a every day pro on stage KB performer....there is much more involved in making a decision to use a Kb for me .....navagation, weight, transportability, as less gear to accomplish the job as possible is mandatory...dont get me wrong the MIDJAY sounds incredible.........maybe I need a smaller conroller like Don's Edirol PCR M80?
who knows? Or maybe its just my finicky ways......but my wheels are ticking away!!

Wait by the phone. Do not go near a music store. I'll call you and talk you through this.
DonM

#151185 - 04/18/06 12:07 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Starkeeper Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
I'll be posting a review on the SD5 before weeks end.
Glenn

Will be looking forward to your review.
Starkeeper

#151186 - 04/18/06 12:09 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi dnj, speaking as a person who owned the midjay, i am totally happy with my switch back to the PA1xPro..as good as the midjay is , there were just too many little things i wasnt happy with..it was just too ordinary in the sound department, just a bit too fiddly to operate on stage the vocal side was, at best, ordinary, you needed proprietary pedals, etc etc, so i for one, fully understand, and agree, with where your head is at and why you are thinking those thoughts...yes you will notice a bit of a difference in the drums, as i reckon the midjay comes closest to the PA for live in your face drums, but just having good drums does not a good keyboard make....whatever you decide, i wish you well, just wanted you to know that your situation has support, for what it's worth...
cheers
dennis

#151187 - 04/18/06 12:39 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Thanx for the replies .....now Im really confused......... maybe I need a smaller conroller like Don's Edirol PCR M80?

QUICK !!! .. anyone have the emergency number for AKA ??? ...

t.

#151188 - 04/18/06 12:42 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
In the past Ive acted brovadidly weird toward other Tyros users & for that I apologize

Thanx

PS.. I know Scott Yee is laughing his butt off

No need to change your ways. Get a Tyros 2...then you can simply start bashing PA1x users. Then, after the T2 wears thin, get a PA1x and start on the Ketron or Roland camp. It's easy.

Peace,

chas

#151189 - 04/18/06 01:41 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
or... you could just hire the New York Philharmonic for a few days.

Somebody suggested owning both, the T2 and the Midjay. If money is no problem... then throw money at the problem.

Otherwise, remember all of us poverty stricken retirees and buy a used PSR-2000. Still a great machine for the money.

All my best, the rest in-jest!

Dave Rice

#151190 - 04/18/06 01:45 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Thanx for all the thought provoking replies ........I've come down from my TYROS2 fever & resting easy now........
I will admit the Midjay is a module NOT a Full blown Arranger, I knew that when I bought it.....do I miss a full featured Arranger KB? YES....Does the MJ have so many other multi-features that I love that a full features arranger doesnt have? YES
Do they both sound great? YES....so what we have here is a personal choice matter & what your able to live with & can be happy doing so in the mist of things constantly coming to market to make our lives as musicians double guess our selections....its a vicious cycle that never seems to end.......it was so much easier years ago in the pre computer age......you bought a unit, & you played and enjoyed it....you thought it was the best thing since apple pie....there was no forum discussions to make you crazy with your decisions pro/con.....just buy, play, & be happy!!!!!!!

BTW....Don thanx or the phone call....
I'm better now

#151191 - 04/18/06 02:52 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
DonM mentioned the drums are weak in the T2 and to some extent I agree; when compared to samplers. However, I have successfully tweaked , eq'd, and boosted the drums in my T2 to sound in your face.

I don't think it's appropriate for me to try to convince you to buy a T2. I will say that for my two piece act, it works and sounds like a champ.

Just like you are curious about the T2, I'm curious about the Pax1pro, G70, MidJay, etc. In the end, I'm most confident and comfortable with the T2.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#151192 - 04/18/06 03:28 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Al.....could you post or email me a song/MP3 with the EQ'd pumped up T2 drums....I'd love to hear em?

#151193 - 04/19/06 03:29 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
yes, me too, also can you let us know what exactly you did for the drums

#151194 - 04/19/06 03:36 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
kbrkr Offline

Pick a song, which in your opinion makes the drums of the T2 sound weak, and I'll see if I can get something posted for you to listen to.

#151195 - 04/19/06 03:50 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Dnj - I had both a T1 and an XD3 a little while ago. It was hard letting the XD3 go as it was exceptional when playing more upbeat "in yer face" styles and music largely due to the drums as I'm sure you know.

However, I now gig with just a T2 and, although it isnt quite as good as the Ketron for drums, these are now much improved so I'm a happy bunny as I now only cart a single k/b around.

But the main thing I now like is the multi-sampled voices that Yamaha call SA. Although these have been around for a while on pro synths and samplers they are now in a convenient single package along with the VH and effects that you used to have outboard gear for.

The exception missing from the T2 is a multi strike piano sound. You can get this on Roland's arrangers by adding the SRX board and may be available on other makes as well.

The piano is such a staple sound that I think it is the most important voice on an a/k. Don't get me wrong - the Yammy Piano is alright with a bit of EQing especially in a mix but they do have better pianos on their clavinovas and EPs

I still had to tweak a lot of the T2 styles as I find they had too much reverb for my taste especially when playing in a room of any size with natural accoustics.

I find the improved keyboard and better VH welcome as is the ability to display text file lyrics (like all the Ketrons do).

I bought a cheap hard drive and memory off ebay and fitted these but haven't really tried out the HD recording or sampling stuff yet as it's just a frilly extra for me.

If you are serious then beg, steal or borrow a T2 for a couple of days and check it out for yourself.

Just to close - I very nearly got rid of the T1 when I first got it 'cos it didn't do what the Ketron did - However, it did a hell of a lot of other things the Ketron didn't so I kept both. I never felt that when I first got the T2 - I really liked it from the start and still do. It may be because I have got used to Yamaha sounds now and it has only been 10 weeks but my interest in any new keyboard usually wanes after 3 or 4 weeks and I have been selling or playing them for over 30 years so I've had a few.

Hope this helps.

Regards - Keith

#151196 - 04/19/06 06:09 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Pick a song, which in your opinion makes the drums of the T2 sound weak, and I'll see if I can get something posted for you to listen to.

How about some Latin or Rock & Roll.

#151197 - 04/19/06 07:24 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I have nothing to contribute in this particular subject, but still there is one thing...

Dnj,
you mentioned that "....but theres just something missing in my musical performance that I cant put a finger on & heres lies my thought on maybe its not having a Tyros 2?...."

I am thinking, maybe you don't exactly need a Tyros2, you just need a new toy to play/tinker with? After all, all top arrangers, in capable hands such as yours, will deliver the goods.

I am surprised nobody mentioned this, the simple need to change every so often.

Toys for boys,
Theodore

#151198 - 04/19/06 07:44 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Theo.............
Your are correct to a point my friend......but there are a few limits, even though you can get a great sound out of most top arranger KB's....its more of a "Personal Happiness + GREAT SOUND" yes its finicky, yes its picky, yes its a repetitous tiredness, boringness, sameoldness, kind of feeling.......maybe its because I play every day for a living which will surly increase & intensify these feelings versus someone who plays not as much at home....who knows? Todays arranger KB atists have to do multiple tasks besides JUST PLAYING THE KB ........when you have the competition of Live Bands, DJs, Karaoke saturating the masses with what they do........you gotta mix it up in this game if you want to play with the big boyz......thats a plain fact. Bottom line, your an entertainer of sorts & in todays world you gotta do what you gotta do to survive with what tools you have to use to accomplish the task. Im glad I started this post it makes me rethink my feelings and get other opinions which was my intention all along.........What Do I DO? And What Do I NEED To DO IT? is of utmost concern & should be everyones personal #1 consideration in performing music for your audience.

Whew Im out of breath .....

#151199 - 04/19/06 07:58 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Starkeeper Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:

I am surprised nobody mentioned this, the simple need to change every so often.

Toys for boys,
Theodore

Our economy would crash without that (something wrong with that). I have very limited funds, but still saving for my 4th keyboard in about 4 years. I hope the new Roland E50 will be competitive to the PSR3100. No drawbars though, arrr.
Starkeeper

#151200 - 04/19/06 09:04 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:

In the past Ive acted brovadidly weird toward other Tyros users . . .

Ok Donny, I of course accept your apologies , do I really have a choice . Seriously though, I certainly had been wondering what all 'that' anti-Tyros2 uproar was about: resentment, envy? , especially considering you've been the one here whose advocated most that no arranger keyboard can subsitute for the keyboard chops & entertainment skills necessary for true pro level keyboard musician entertainment.

Quote:

so can Tyros people dig down in your souls and make me a T2 believer again somehow thru your replies & who knows maybe I'll come back over from the darkside. PS.. I know Scott Yee is laughing his butt off

I've no intentions in convincing you to become a Tyros2, or any other brand/model KB believer (again?) , as I realize that like everything else in life (from cars, woman, and booze), we've all got personal preferences. What I CAN tell you though, is that while others here switch back & forth between keyboards brands, I've been woodshedding to further hone my arranger keyboard chops, further expanding my performance repetoire, and working succesfully to raise the sound of my Tyros2 keyboard to new heights. In fact, following newly discovered eq/effects T2 tweaking, I've now got live sounding "kick ass" drums on my Tyros2 that (to my ears), now rival Ketron's. In addition, having spent some time now mastering 'live playing' of the T2's "Super Articulation Voices" (Guitar, pedal steel, sax, brass, etc), these are now instrumental soloing highlights on my gigs, drawing lots of audience applause. I remain happier than ever for having upgraded from Tyros1 to Tyros2, NOT for what it does in itself, but what it "allows me" to do to further showcase my musical talent, of which my audiences come to experience in the first place.

Scott

PS: Another Tyros2 project which I recently completed is now being able to display on my Tyros2 LCD screen 100+ of my core repetoire song 'lyrics/chords'. Now whenever I call up a song registration, the lyrics/chords text (.txt file) for the associated song automatically appears. Though I continue to take my MusicPad Pro along to gigs because it holds my entire fakebook library collection (1000's of songs) to satsify that obsure audience request, I keep it off to the side, so absolutely NOTHING gets between me, my Tyros2, and the audience.

Scott

#151201 - 04/19/06 09:09 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
DonM Offline

Scott, what is the capacity for .txt files on the T2? Can you scroll them as you play?
Are the tweaks to your drums universal, or must they be saved to each registration?
Thanks,
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 04-19-2006).]

#151202 - 04/19/06 09:58 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Scott, what is the capacity for .txt files on the T2? Can you scroll them as you play?
Are the tweaks to your drums universal, or must they be saved to each registration?

Don, total text file storage capacity is only limited by the available space on the Tyros2 hard drive, which in my case is 60GB. Maximum text 'file size' per file (song) is 60KB, but all of my songs are all well under 3KB each, so this limitation doesn't look to ever become even a remote issue.

You can't scroll, but you can use the 'tab' button or assignable foot pedal to instantly move from page to page in a multiple page lyrics document.

For both chords & lyrics, here's a sample of how I set it up displayed as a text file:

On The Street Where You Live (Bb):

< A1 Section >:
I have [Bb]often walked [Cm:][:F7]down this
[Bb:]Street be[:Gm]fore [Cm:][:F7]but the
[Bb:]Pavement [:Eb7]always [Dm:]stayed be-[:C#o]neath my
[Cm]Feet before [F7] All at
[Cm]Once I am [Ab7] several
[Bb69]Stories high [Gm] knowing
[Cm]I'm on the [F7]street where you
[Dm:]Live[:G7] [Cm:][:F7]are there . . .

< A2 Section >:
[Bb]Lilac trees [Cm:][:F7]in the
[Bb:]Heart of [:Gm]town [Cm:][:F7] can you
[Bb:]Hear a [:Eb7]lark in [Dm:]any [:C#o]other
[Cm]Part of town [F7] Does en-
[Cm]chantment pour [Ab7] out of
[Bb69]Every door [Gm] No it's
[Cm]Just on the [F7]Street where you
[Bb]Live [/] and . . .

Bridge:
[Am]Oh . . . [D7] the towering [Eb]feeling [/] just to
[Ebm6]Know [Ab7] somehow you are [Bb69]near [/] the
[Gb7]O . . . [Em] ver powering [A7sus]feeling [A7] that any
[DMaj7+]Second U may [G7]suddenly ap[Cm]pear [F7] people . . .

:
[Bb]Stop and stare
[Cm:][:F7]they don't
[Bb:]Bother [:Gm]me [Cm:][:F7] for there's
[Bb:]Nowhere[:Eb7]else on [Dm:]earth that [:C#o]I would
[Cm]Rather be [F7] let the
[Cm]Time go by [Ab7] I won't [Bb69]care if I
[Gm] Can be [C7]here on the [F7]street where you
[Bb]live

PS: Another alternate way to setup text file display is to have only the associated lyrics/chords appear for the part of the song which a specific registration (1-8) button is assigned to (ei: verse 1, verse 2, chorus, bridge, etc). This means when you press reg button #1, only the lyrics/chords to verse 1 is displayed, when you press reg button #2, verse 2 appears, and reg button #3 displays the chorus section lyrics/chords are displayed. With this method, the associated lyrics/chords automatically come up for the portion of the song in which reg is currently selected. Though I myself haven't had time to set it up this way (yet), To do it this way, you'll need to create multiple text files for a single song. For example:

On Street-1
On Street-2
On Street-3
etc.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 04-19-2006).]

#151203 - 04/19/06 11:49 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
kbrkr Offline

Scott,

I love how you setup your keyboard. How do you link the registrations (w/lyrics) to the musicfinder database? I know you code your entries. Do you use MusicFinderView to construct your MF database on the computer then move to the T2?

Thanks
Al

#151204 - 04/19/06 12:19 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
DonM Offline

Thanks Scott, that seems to be much the same way the Midjay works with the lyrics. Very handy.
I do like the large display on Tyros.
DonM

#151205 - 04/19/06 02:12 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Scott............thank you for your informative reply....& now that we're on the same plain again I wish you would return to posting more on the SZ like you used to...many people enjoy & learn from your posts especially TYROS users..........would it be possible for you to post a few tunes with your new EQ'd DRUM sound as sted in your previous post so that we make take a listen.....this seems to be a big factor in a decision between ketron and yamaha units.........the text reading is certainly a big plus also.

thanx

#151206 - 04/19/06 03:39 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Scott:

As always, you are most generous in sharing details about T2 (and other things) with the rest of us. Just wanted you to know how much we all appreciate it. Also wanted to let you know we will be thinking about you at Mason's Mudbug Jam in Shreveport on the 30th.

I know that Don has said somebody is going to be filming (video) the festivities and I will ask them to be sure and put you on the list as a potential recipient. (Don't know yet if charges will apply but will let you know ASAP.)

All my best,

Dave Rice http://cdbaby.com/cd/daverice

#151207 - 04/19/06 04:20 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Al.....could you post or email me a song/MP3 with the EQ'd pumped up T2 drums....I'd love to hear em?

Ok, here you go. I recorded Mustang Sally (sort of), 1 take, no overdub, no postprocessing, many mistakes...just to show the drums. The track title is: One Man Band - Mustang Sally
http://www.al-giordano.com/music.htm

Have a Rip...
Al

#151208 - 04/19/06 04:34 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Al.....thanx for the tune one of favorites.......there is definitly a beefed up resonance in the sound of the drums really shows what a bit of EQ'ing will do for a style.....nice job!!

If I get a chance I might record the same tune on the Midjay so we can A/B also.
BTW Nice pics & Website...

Stay Well My Friend!

#151209 - 04/19/06 06:16 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

#151210 - 04/19/06 08:20 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... nice job Al ...

Fran ... was that a midi file? I was disappointed ... I thought you were going to be singing it ...

It would be great if some of you guys would define just HOW you EQ'd the drums ... inquiring minds want to know ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 04-19-2006).]

#151211 - 04/19/06 11:34 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Here is my G1000 version.
http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0PZIQE60VEEN11CIJ2VIEGKQPM

No offence but
I have to say it sounds pretty dated.
like e 70.

#151212 - 04/20/06 05:02 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I'm late reading this post, but I'm really glad it's in here because I've been in the process of integrating the Midjay into my gigs for the past month or so. Right now I'm using it in conjunction with the G 1000. I've been using the 1000 for close to 8 years now so I'm really used to it and really fast navigating around it. For the most part I've used the Midjay for all of its other features and the 1000 as my primary arranger. I did a Caribbean party a couple of weeks ago and used the Midjay as an arranger for the Caribbean and latin styles as they are better than what's on the 1000. I'm also loading complete backgrounds on the Midjay for use at acoustic piano gigs. I am also thinking about getting a lighter controller and going out with just the Midjay for some gigs. It's an amazing box and I'm really glad I bought it.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#151213 - 04/20/06 06:17 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Let me get this right....The SMF sounded dated?
The illustration was to show "Drums and bass" directly from the G1000 without external devices..They could have, but were not "TWEAKED"..and the SMF was nothing special, or was the song, "my cup of tea"..

Actually, the G1000 is dated[1998]..

#151214 - 04/20/06 07:23 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Yo Donny,
If it actually exists, the Genesys XP may be the answer to our needs. I have yet to see or hear it. Still waiting for the Philly area dealer to get it so we can have a look and listen. You may be right - there really may not be an XP.
Ciao,
Jerry

#151215 - 04/20/06 07:40 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Alright Guys and Gals...here is a dated medley, on a dated keyboard , "played" by a dated player....It was done by the seat of my pants, with no idea what I was going to do.."Live..in your face"...with realtime organ, electric piano and some manual bass...Live/no cuts..
I can't really explain why I rather play the G1000 over the others....maybe you can figure it out and tell me.
http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VJPNLP5ZXB2Q3P233GXY4J9WH

#151216 - 04/20/06 07:53 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Alright Guys and Gals...here is a dated medley, on a dated keyboard , "played" by a dated player....It was done by the seat of my pants, with no idea what I was going to do.."Live..in your face"...with realtime organ, electric piano and some manual bass...Live/no cuts..
I can't really explain why I rather play the G1000 over the others....maybe you can figure it out and tell me.

Fran, that was really good. I didn't know you could play like that!
DonM

#151217 - 04/20/06 08:33 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Alright Guys and Gals...here is a dated medley, on a dated keyboard , "played" by a dated player....

Yo, Fran way to go!! Nothing wrong with those tunes. Dated, nah not in my opinion. I love those songs some of my favorites and you've done a great job with them! Maybe somewhere along the road I crossed the line and now have arrived at old geezer status, so maybe I don't know that I don't know. Anyway thanks for posting.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-20-2006).]

#151218 - 04/20/06 11:06 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Good job Gumba!!!

I dig those brushes too.

#151219 - 04/20/06 01:29 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
here is a dated medley, on a dated keyboard, "played" by a dated player

My 'semi-dated' ears tell me I like it... nice job, Fran.

Glenn

#151220 - 04/20/06 09:05 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Let me get this right....The SMF sounded dated?
The illustration was to show "Drums and bass" directly from the G1000 without external devices..They could have, but were not "TWEAKED"..and the SMF was nothing special, or was the song, "my cup of tea"..

Actually, the G1000 is dated[1998]..

Yes I was talking about drums on G1k,you posted to compare with T2 drums .GM/Gs SC88 pro board has dated sounds compared to today's arrangers including new Rolands .

A player can make a old KB sound good,but it doesn't mean no new KB/newer improved/more realistic sounds needed.Does it?

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 04-20-2006).]

#151221 - 04/21/06 09:28 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Maybe what we players are use to hearing may start to sound dated...but I don't believe our audiences, could care less..

#151222 - 04/21/06 09:47 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Fran your so right .....the average audience has no clue as to what we are doing on stage technically.......they are mostly judging your performance with their ears & eyes either they like it or not.......how we do it they can only assume & most times they are wrong unless it is shown & explained in detail. There is allot involved to absorb & they have no need to either.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-21-2006).]

#151223 - 04/21/06 04:12 PM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Boy Fran,
wish I could sound as dated as you.

Honestly , you guys amaze me, you've got heaps of talent,
you could make almost any keyboard sound great,
why worry about what keyboard you've got, play what you're comfortable with & make great music.

it's not the keyboard that makes great music, it's the performer using it.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Maybe what we players are use to hearing may start to sound dated...but I don't believe our audiences, could care less..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#151224 - 04/22/06 10:10 AM Re: Should I sell my MidJay & Buy A Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Rikki, Thanks, and you are correct...I have heard great players sound great on equipment I would never consider owning..

I use to own a Roland JX10, which I loved..a friend of mine[one of the best players I know] owned a JX10 too...He use to make it sound incredible...
Another friend [a great player , also] played the early Casio's in his act[Steinway was too heavy to haul], in a way that was unusual..He would play a verse[with a loop function[CT7000]..then he would play over top with a slide trombone...in real time...He could even play a decent piano part on this 8 voice instrument..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online