SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#150782 - 02/28/03 09:41 PM Korg PA60 questions.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I now own a PSR2000 which I think is great regardless of price. I have tried the Tyros three times and love it and wanting it mucho.

However, right now I am trying out a Korg PA60 which I thought I used to want because of the great styles. I have considered getting the PA60 also as a backup, to have other styles and sounds etc.

The local music store wants to dump this PA60 because they feel there is no market for it here, and because it's so hard to operate. They think I'm about the only one that could make use of it. They want to sell it to me at dealer cost which is $960.

I have been trying it through my JBL EONS10 G2's. And I literally hate the sound. The 2K has a mixer and the Korg doesn't. Yet the 2K sounds fine flat. The Korg sounds ugly. I suppose a mixer would help some but I have a suspision it won't change the sound that much.

I am not sure why I am not liking this thing. I am not sure if I am spoiled by the PSR2000 and Tyros sounds or what. Now that I think of it I heard a PA80 through speakers only once and it didn't sound good. I thought it was maybe not the best amp for it, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

Any suggestions on how to give the Korg the fairest shot I can? I am suprised because of all the hype about the Triton sounds they are supposed to be using and some of the good players that are using a PA60/80. Are our ears that much different or what.

Perhaps you can read between the lines here and give me some suggestions. It's a great price if I could use it and enjoy it. Although that Tyros sounds soooo good and is sooo easy to operate.

Thanx for the input

Scott Langholff

#150783 - 02/28/03 10:09 PM Re: Korg PA60 questions.
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Scott

The pa60 should have a mixer. Just go Menu, them the top left button is Mixer. Use Track Select button to view tracks 9-16.

Your post is another example of how individual our music tastes are. Some people LOVE Korg sounds and find Yamaha sounds to be very old fashioned. Others love Roland, etc.

I think you have been spoiled by the 2000. It seems it is just right for you.

Tom G.

#150784 - 02/28/03 11:54 PM Re: Korg PA60 questions.
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Forget KORG !!! Go with yout guts - PSR2000 is great.

I played with PA80 for couple weeks and soooo glad to own PSR2000 now. The only thing I hate about PSR2000 is registration bank default cannot be changed. I have to load it evertime - just bugs me. Is there a way to change it ?

#150785 - 03/01/03 02:59 AM Re: Korg PA60 questions.
trtjazz Offline

Scott as you know I'm sure I've owned both the PA 80 and now the Tyros. Both are good boards. Your Q is about sound quality. I found the 80 to sound great with it's internal speakers. It has harder more cutting edge sounds whereas the Yamaha's are more bread & butter mellower.

For a fair heads up comparison, you need to hook them both up to the same set of monitors and have a listen.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#150786 - 03/01/03 06:13 AM Re: Korg PA60 questions.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Terry

I have played them both through the JBL 10 EON G2's.

I am using no mixer. The 2K sounds good. The PA80 doesn't. The Tyros sounds awesome though the JBL's.

While a mixer might help with the PA80 I don't think there will be that much of a difference in the overall tone. Do you agree?

Scott Langholff

#150787 - 03/01/03 06:54 AM Re: Korg PA60 questions.
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I do agree, if you A/B 'd them and you don't care for one or the other....it's not going to sound any better in your studio. The/A mixer will not do much if anything to improve the sound except perhaps add some minor effects.

Going back to the A/B that to me is the fairest and best way to hear what the sample with whatever effects the company laid on them to be the best sound you will get. One might add something else for personal taste, however if you're not jacked with the "raw" sound....I'd pass. On top of which if one has to add a bunch of external effects on top of every sound they use on a board, perhaps that's not the right choice of a sound palette to suit them.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online