SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#150763 - 03/07/04 12:38 AM Dance Music?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi Guys,

I love listening to all the music you've made with your arrangers, but I haven't been able to find any of you that do modern dance music, such as trance/house, etc.

I currently have a Yamaha CS6x and a Korg Triton which I use for all sorts of music, but I have a lot of fun making trance stuff. I'd love to hear someone's dance music through their Tyros, PSR-2000, or any of the modern arrangers!

Even if it's just a commercial midi file, I'd still love to hear it

Sincerely,
Carrie

#150764 - 03/07/04 07:17 AM Re: Dance Music?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think Dance and so forth is a little hard to do on the PSR's. Your Triton is geared for that. The Tritons sequencer is very powerful and is much easier to use when making this style of music. The PSR's do not allow you to chain patterns in the way you do on the Triton. Plus when recording patterns on the PSR's you're a little limited because of the PRR's recording style.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#150765 - 03/07/04 10:25 AM Re: Dance Music?
Carrie-uk Offline

Hi,

Well, I don't actually have the Triton keyboard, just the rack version so no sequencer. I use Cubase for all my sequencing. I was hoping something like a Tyros or one of the other ones would be good for laying out new ideas - for inspiration.

Carrie

#150766 - 03/07/04 10:49 AM Re: Dance Music?
Dnj Offline

#150767 - 03/07/04 10:51 AM Re: Dance Music?
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Carrie,

my wife and I are doing some Dance Music on our 9000Pro.
The Psr-8000 (wich we owened before that) wasn't to bad either.

The Psr's have several dance styles built in and in addition you can buy some from other Companies, like Styles and Music as well as Yamaha Germany.
Most of them are song specific.
For cover tunes they work well enough for us.
You can mute parts to phase them in and out and in addition you can use the Multi Pads to spiece up your music.
Of course if you want to do some originals on a fly, the Triton, Motif etc. are better.

I don't have the means to post my music on the web at this time. Sorry.

I have an old Demo CD from our Psr-8000 with some dance on it.
I could send you a couple of tunes via e-mail if you like.
The recording isn't very good, but you'll get the general idea.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 03-07-2004).]

#150768 - 03/07/04 05:27 PM Re: Dance Music?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Here you go Carrie-uk. This song is called "Mixdown" and it is in the category of the Trance genre. Trance is not my forté as far as music goes but this song is for demonstration purposes to show you how the Tyros sounds regarding Synth sounds and in your case Trance in particular.

All the sounds you hear are from the Tyros. The first link is a high encoded .mp3 file and the second link is an .mp3PRO version of the same recording. I also did some 'realtime' Panning effects to the song. If you download the mp3PRO version you will need a Media Player that supports .mp3PRO file playback such as MusicMatch Jukebox or the Thomson Multimedia mp3PRO Player which can be downloaded here - Thomson .mp3PRO Player

Here is:

Mixdown

Mixdown mp3PRO Format

Best regards,
Mike

#150769 - 03/07/04 11:37 PM Re: Dance Music?
Carrie-uk Offline

Thanks a lot for posting that Mike! Even though I typically listen and write pop/trance with verse and chorus, that was still a very good example of some of the Tyros' electronic sounds. It was good!

Have any of you guys ever heard of Michael Walthius, AKA Keyboard Wizard? When I had my PSR 730 (sold it to get the CS6X a few years back) his XG MIDI files just completely blew me away.
http://www.keybdwizrd.com/music.html

Orion is still my favorite song of his.

I'm seriously considering selling my Triton when the PSR 3000 comes out. I really miss the inspiration I used to get from my 730. The songs I wrote back then really are much better than the ones I write today with all this 'pro' gear, with a few exceptions of course.

I see modern synths becoming more and more like arrangers too, with all the arpeggiator patterns which closely resemble styles to me! I know Cubase has become more like one with things like Groove Agent (virtual drummer) and Virtual Guitarist.

Sorry to waffle on!

Carrie

#150770 - 03/08/04 04:09 AM Re: Dance Music?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hiya Carrie - Just a quick note to say that I discovered Michael Walthius midi files years ago and had forgotten all about them until you mentioned him in this post.

A favourite of mine is Dark Shores and there was another I liked called Pacific Highway I seem to remember.

Thanks for jogging my memory - I will try to find them again when I get home from work.

Keith - UK (KF)

#150771 - 03/08/04 04:15 AM Re: Dance Music?
RichUK Offline

I used to play Michael's files through my little MU10 module... great stuff!

Also, from the same era... lots of great original XG music here:
http://xgmidi.wtal.de/xgmidi.html

Particularly David J. Kelly and Richard Dudeney.

Happy days!
Rich

#150772 - 03/11/04 08:30 AM Re: Dance Music?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by RichUK:
I used to play Michael's files through my little MU10 module... great stuff!

Also, from the same era... lots of great original XG music here:
http://xgmidi.wtal.de/xgmidi.html

Particularly David J. Kelly and Richard Dudeney.

Happy days!
Rich

Unfortunately David J. Kelly's XG Midi's on that site have been yanked as I was unable to download them. But fortunately I spoke with David and he linked me to a site where most of his XG midi's were posted. I downloaded them and Zipped them up and uploaded them to my Server and want to present them here.

David J. Kelly XG Midi's

PS: From what I've heard of them so far they are truly excellent. If you like SFX and cool Synth sounds these midi's are right up your alley. Enjoy!!

Best regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online