SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150560 - 06/28/06 07:16 PM Studio monitors
tcon Offline

Loc: Pinellas Park.Florida. usa
Hi .I need some of your expert advice on active studio monitors.I want to purchase a pair.I am wondering what is the best bang for the buck.I want something with a fairly flat neutral sound.I have Yamaha NS10 but I would like to go with active monitors. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Terry

#150561 - 06/28/06 07:26 PM Re: Studio monitors
Dnj Offline

#150562 - 06/28/06 08:06 PM Re: Studio monitors
tcon Offline

Thanks for the link.The HR624 LOOK good.Have you used any of these?

#150563 - 06/29/06 02:48 AM Re: Studio monitors
trtjazz Offline

tcon,
I use 2 different sets:

Mackie 624's
Audiophile BX5's

When I mix down, I usuallt find middle ground between the 2 sets.

I've also had Alesis M1 actives which were good but very bass heavy.

I like them both very much, Mackies sound better richer fuller. Tend to color the bottom end a bit. The 824's are worse.

Audiophiles a much truer uncolored respone, what you hear is what you will get on most other things you play it on. They also make a bigger set of 8's too for more spit.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#150564 - 06/29/06 04:25 AM Re: Studio monitors
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I went through this a while ago, I ended up with the Dynaudios, they cost about $800 and they sound fantastic, at least on par with the mackies, maybe even better,

Remember when mixing on great monitors, sometimes all the little stuff you work on gets lost on most people's bad audio systems, be it car, home, or ipod.

Remember when mixing on inexpensive monitors,
you can't hear all the little things that make a good recording great. but if you can get it to sound great on cheap monitors, think how good it will sound everywhere else

#150565 - 06/29/06 04:35 AM Re: Studio monitors
tcon Offline

Thanks guys.The Yamaha ,onitors I have are exellent.But I have run into a space issue and I want to sell them and the amp.I am not in love with monitors that give too much Bass responce.Or too lttle for that matter as I want to get a sound for all applications.I always end up trying my mix out in my car and on different sized home systems.I would Ideally like a couple of diferent monitors, but I don't have the spce to mount them.

#150566 - 06/29/06 05:14 AM Re: Studio monitors
billh Offline

Loc: Chocowinity, NC
I use a pair of Tapco S8 powered studio monitors for my T2. The sound reproduction is excellent, very clear, good bass, and plenty of volumn if you need it. I was going to get the Tapco sub but the sales guy suggested I try the S8s 1st, he was right, no sub needed. My room is about 12x18 (ft) and the S8s are great. You should be able to get a pair for under $500 - for the pair. They are made by Mackie.

#150567 - 06/29/06 05:26 AM Re: Studio monitors
Dnj Offline

#150568 - 06/29/06 06:51 AM Re: Studio monitors
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#150569 - 06/29/06 07:01 AM Re: Studio monitors
Dnj Offline

"CONS: Upper-bass and low-mid frequencies sound slightly boomy and full, resulting in a somewhat veiled sound. No high-frequency “tilt” adjustment. Weak response in low-bass region."

Scott this concerns my needs with these monitors...

#150570 - 06/29/06 07:23 AM Re: Studio monitors
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
take a look at Dynaudio

very very impressive

#150571 - 06/29/06 08:16 AM Re: Studio monitors
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
this concerns my needs with these monitors...

What exactly are 'your' needs?!

Realizing that you just dumped your Yamaha TRS-MS02/Bose 161 system, I only hope you're not considering a pair of near field studio monitors to replace these as a live small gig PA system, because they aren't designed or intednded for that purpose. Not only are Studio Monitors not road worthy (no protective speaker grill), but they're specifically designed to be listened to 'close up' in a mixing studio, and not intended for a room full of people.

Scott

#150572 - 06/29/06 08:18 AM Re: Studio monitors
tcon Offline

Many thanks for all your imput.I will definately research all your suggestions Terry

#150573 - 06/29/06 08:50 AM Re: Studio monitors
tax adviser Offline

Loc: London, UK
I would definitely second the dynaudio for active near field monitoring - I have these http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=280

I also have the S1A from Adam - very different sounding so good for mix comparison purposes http://www.adam-audio.com/professional/

#150574 - 06/29/06 06:27 PM Re: Studio monitors
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't believe what you read here....... Go to a respected audio site and listen to opinions there.

My Mackie HR824's ROCK.......... and don't need a sub to sound full. YMMV. Objects in Mirror may be Closer than they Appear.......... but don't take my word for it!

#150575 - 06/29/06 08:05 PM Re: Studio monitors
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
What exactly are 'your' needs?!

Realizing that you just dumped your Yamaha TRS-MS02/Bose 161 system, I only hope you're not considering a pair of near field studio monitors to replace these as a live small gig PA system, because they aren't designed or intednded for that purpose. Not only are Studio Monitors not road worthy (no protective speaker grill), but they're specifically designed to be listened to 'close up' in a mixing studio, and not intended for a room full of people.

Scott

Hmmmmmmm........Scotty me boy your so smart It's all good my friend....the trs ms02/bose combo although sounds good at low vol in small rooms simply doesn't have enough Umphhhh for me .......80 watts dont cut it!!!.

#150576 - 06/30/06 02:16 AM Re: Studio monitors
trtjazz Offline

I tried the KRK's when I was looking and did not care for their sound at all for my ears.

Another set that has enjoyed great reviews are the Behringer Truths.

I'm not sure any one set, short of something like $5000.00 Genelecs are going to be primo for all situations.

One has to learn the set of monitors they have and how it then sounds on other systems and mix accordingly.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#150577 - 06/30/06 03:29 AM Re: Studio monitors
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Don't believe what you read here....... Go to a respected audio site and listen to opinions there.

I wouldn't have put it quite so bluntly, but I think Diki has something of a point here. Also, you didn't indicate your budget or recording environment. $5000.00 monitors in an (acoustically) untreated space is a waste of money. Likewise, what is the level of equipment in the rest of the recording chain? Without this information, it is impossible to make an informed recommendation. Probably the best advice, given by Trtjazz, is to learn the monitors you have (whatever they are) and how they translate to the real world. The type of music is also important; for instance, you won't find HipHop engineers mixing on NS10's or Classical music engineers mixing on 824's. So much to consider unless you have the budget for 2-3 pair of monitors.

Peace,

chas

#150578 - 06/30/06 04:34 AM Re: Studio monitors
tax adviser Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi Diki - perhaps people here do know what they are talking about and I certainly do.

The thing about near field monitoring is that the wave reaches your ears before the environment can affect it - this is why it is imperative to audition (subjective) - but also remain objective (which is why it makes sense to gauge and evaluate others' opinions) - monitors that fatigue an engineer are a common complaint

genre may be less important than purpose - for whatever reason (I've heard many) for mix engineers, NS10s are hip hop mixing & everything else - I've been there - but one would have to buy used, they are passive and anyway they would not be recommended purchases today unless you were a mix professional.
http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_listening_monitors/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/articles/andrewcoleman.htm

#150579 - 06/30/06 04:59 AM Re: Studio monitors
tcon Offline

The input here is second to none.One of the reasons I like this forum is because there is such a diversity of opinion,and always somewhere in the middle is a solution.I love the yamaha ns-10's. However I have to have a separate amp to run them.I am in the process of changing my recording equipment.I use ROLAND VS880.a Marantze Cd recorder and the ns-10s.I want to go to an all in one recorder with a hard drive and cd burner built in and active monitors.I would Ideally like to use my computer to recod on but am ignorant of how to record vocals effectively into the computer.I own cubase but have never learned how to use it.I will post a n mp3 of a couple of sons I am working on for my new project.Perhaps some constructive critism will help in my endeavours.Thanks again for the imput.Terry

#150580 - 06/30/06 06:14 AM Re: Studio monitors
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Cool... I get to talk about one of my best investments of the year - my JBL LSR4326P studio monitors . Expensive and worth every penny. The package comes with a room-correction mic and remote control. You hook up the speakers and the mic, set the speakers for room correction mode and run... the speakers emit a series of loud audio pulses which the speakers themselves analyze and calibrate for room frequency inconsitencies. In a few seconds the speakers are set for a natural flat sound with no EQ-guesswork involved... yes, this really works. I formerly was doing this manually with an audio analyzer and the JBL's do it more accurately... my CD mixes are truer now. The JBL LSR4326P's sound great and have handy controls and digital vue meters on the front of the speakers plus a remote control that I use a lot. An included Cat-5 network cable runs between the speakers so any changes you make via the controls affects both speakers at the same time, and there is software provided for saving your studio setup. I've had a lot of monitors over the years but these are the best.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online