Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150281 - 05/06/05 10:38 PM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
Russ,
Thats a size I would not mind carrying around... but I thought there were no effects on the Carvin, like reverb or chorus?

I'll have to take a closer look at them.

Ed

it's a 12 inch acoustic gtr amp,3ins,dual fx and has both ch and graphic eq(has .
nice litte box. http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=AG100D&CID=GA

but sound quality wise it's OK(typical medium low grade eminence).
better choice will be a small mixer and eon 10G2 which is 24 lbs.

#150282 - 05/06/05 10:58 PM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Started out with a would you believe a Magnatone. Used that first then went to a Fender Bandmaster when I was playing chord organ in a rock band in the '60's. Also used a Standel for awhile with my Wurlitzer electric piano.

Then I got a Hammond M3 along with the Leslie 122 I think was the popular one. Then I picked up a Fender Bassman 10 for the Hammond. It sounded great, was relatively small and lighweight and really kicked.

Then I started getting into portable keyboards in the late '90's, first a few cheap Yamaha'a then a Roland E35, Technics KN200 or 400, Yamaha organ ME50 to a Technics KN1000 to a Yamaha PSR2000 to a Tyros.

During the keyboard period I had a Peavey KB300. Ugh! Probably where I got my navel hernia. That sucker was one beast. Wasn't particulary pleased with the sound but lots of volume.

Once I got the PSR2000 I got a pair of JBL Eon 10G2's. I absolutely love them. 23 pounds each. 175 watts each of a very nice quality pure sound. I like to use the feature where I just lean them back. It makes it very easy for me to hear and the sound bounces off the ceiling to the audience.

A bit later I added the Logitech z5500's, but only use the sub along with the JBL's. the sub only weighs 34 pounds at 188 watts RMS and compliments my other equipment very nicely. This gives me a total of 538 watts which tends to be a lot more than I need.

Small, light and good sound is my motto.

Best
Scott Langholff
http://www.ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 05-06-2005).]

#150283 - 05/07/05 06:46 AM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Well, if we're going back to beginnings, with my Farfisa Cobo Compact dad bought me an Ampeg B-18, what a fantaastic amp. Later, after I married and sold all my original equipment I started back with a used Fender Deluxe Reverb I bought from a friend for $50 and a homemade 2x12 cabinet with two Jensens from a Sears amp. I kept the top and used that too for a while. Then I started getting into Peavey stuff and had 2 or 3 guitar and PA heads with that Peavey 115 cabinet.

I can't believe I ran a Farfisa with pedals and 3 mics thru that Fender. A Leslie 30 (?) with no horn and a foam rotor followed. Then came the Leslie 145 and better PA equip in the 80s.

#150284 - 05/07/05 07:06 AM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Out of all the "Amps" out there for keyboards, the Fender SFX 200 is still my favorite for small gigs.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/SNAMM98/Fender/SFX-Amplifier-Technology.html

It has enough juice for medium venues, true stereo, nice effects, and is easy to move around on wheels.

The way the implemented the stereo is kind of quirky. If you look at the photo at the above site, you will see a 10 inch speaker angled at 90 degrees on the bottom and on the top you have a 12 inch with a Piezo high frequency speaker. This gives great stereo effects plus you can also use it for vocals and it has built in effects for vocals and Guitar.

I've had mine for 4 years now and it still pleases me.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#150285 - 05/07/05 11:35 AM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I've always been a firm believer of "If something works...don't fix it". Which probably explains why I still gig with a T3.

As for what amp I use:
Rickenbacker TR35B

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 05-09-2005).]

#150286 - 05/07/05 07:57 PM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have any of you ever heard of the Walter Woods Amps? I've been using one for about 20 years. Walter is in S.Calif. and he makes them by hand. I bought mine from a friend about 20 years ago, used I paid $600.00 then. The one I have weighs about 7lbs, it's mono, 2 channel, 150W per channel. He now sells two different models. One for $2000.00 and one for $2300.00. You read it right!
As far as a speaker, I've been using a Sound Tech, with a 15" and a horn which is about 8" wide, for about 20 years too. Sounds great.
I've never had an amp that could compare to "Walter" and I've had quiet a few like many of you.
I use this set up when I'm playing with a trio and I play left hand bass, and when I'm doing a OMB in a small room.
For larger rooms I use a different set-up for my OMB.

Peter

[This message has been edited by peter dino (edited 05-07-2005).]

#150287 - 05/08/05 04:45 AM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I bought a Roland KC300 but when I got it home and ran a full range signal with reasonable bottom end the cabinet made a fluttery buzzing sound. It wasn't coming from the speaker but from the ported cabinet itself. And this happened at under half volume. Thinking it may have just been that unit I exchanged it for another. Guess what, exactly the same problem. I wasn't about to try a third KC300 and just returned it for store credit.

#150288 - 05/08/05 07:26 AM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Switched to a pair of Barbetta Sona 32-C's, much lighter, each is 450-watts biamped, 15-inch sub, 10-inch horn, built-in mixer. Much lighter (36.5-pounds), quick setup, plus having two provides a good back up if one happens to fail.

Please tell me something. The type of music I play is a little heavy on the bass. Is there a difference between the Barbetta with a 15 (32c) and the one with 2 8" speakers (31c) as afr as bass goes. Someone told me thta the 2 8" guys TOGETHER have more cone surface than the one 15" and therefore would be better for bass.

Any thoughts?

#150289 - 05/08/05 07:48 AM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
We have a couple of guys in Shreveport, LA that have concluded that these 2 units sound VERY similar, including bass. I'm sure DonM will chime in on this.

Glenn

#150290 - 05/08/05 01:06 PM Re: Keyboard amps - likes & dislikes
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I personally don't think two 8's have as much bass response...as a 15..

Old times two 10's were considered to throw a good tight bass..
For me , nothing beats a 15" speaker..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online