SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#149869 - 03/24/07 10:21 AM Re: After some years
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
While I agree that many bass players use 10" speakers, they use at least four of them (often eight!) and the ONLY thing those 10" speakers have to do is the bass part!

The trouble is, most PA's sound good ONLY up to a certain volume level. Then really bad things start to happen - distortion, non-linearity, failure..... Instead of deciding what is the LEAST you can get away with, if you have any ambition to play larger rooms or less background functions, you need to decide on what is the MOST PA you are likely to need. Or one day you will be offered an outdoor party of 500, and be inaudible...

And a system that sounds good at 50% doesn't necessarily sound good at 75%.... It all depends on what you are putting in and what level the power amps are running at, the knobs are there for entertainment purposes (these go to eleven!). Just because your car's speedometer SAYS 150mph at the end of the dial doesn't mean it can get there safely!

So don't buy toys unless you are SURE you'll never need more....

#149870 - 03/24/07 10:40 AM Re: After some years
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 03-24-2007).]

#149871 - 03/24/07 10:40 AM Re: After some years
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I still prefer a 15" woofer, a horn for midrange and a tweeter for highs..3 way systems are the best for full range sound.

I also use 12's with horns, but need a sub woofer with them..Keep in mind I am talking about full range sound but in dance venues..

The newest keyboard amp I own {Traynor K4], is set up nicely with a 12" woofer , a pair of 4 1/2" mid range speakers, and a pair of tweeters..It has 3 separate amps for this 3 way stereo amplification..The mids are super clear[great for vocals]..

#149872 - 03/24/07 06:13 PM Re: After some years
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have never had good luck with 10" speakers. Maybe that's just me, but they seem too weak for anything but screaming treble. I once had an Ampeg B-18N amp with a 18" sspkr. and still feel that was the best speaker cabinet I ever had. I now use 2-way 12" with a !2" sub and that seems to be a nice mix of sound and light weight.

For what it's worth...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online