SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#149479 - 03/04/05 08:59 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
SemiLiveMusic,
Here's the link to this new Zoom. Its model number is the RT-223. It's actually a really nice little unit and pretty much does everything the Boss DR-3 does. I think the boss has a few extra features. Also when you look and compare number of preset patterns it's a little different when comparing the two. Zoom's set up is there are several blocks of patterns. These patterns are just straight patterns that loop (typically 2-4 measures). Included in these blocks are fill in patterns. You have to manually go in and place the fills where you want them. Here's an example (unless they changed this with this model). Say you want to use a 4 measure preset pattern. The fill for this pattern would be default 1 measure. If you want the fill to start at measure 3, you have to first copy the basic pattern and once that's done you have to reduce it from 4 measure to 3 measures, then when chaining you can set the fill to play at the begining of the 4th measure. If you don't do this and just chain them as is it will not sound right. So when Zoom says X number of preset patterns, they're also including the 1 measure fills.

The Boss is different. When you call up a preset pattern say (rock 1). All the fills and variations,into and ending are automatically called up for this pattern and assigned to the appropriate pads. You then trigger them as you would a drum pattern on an arranger keyboard. This makes it really easy to record a pattern track either using preset or user. I also think that the bass sounds on the Boss are a better.

Squeak

http://www.music123.com/Zoom-RT-223-Drum-And-Bass-Rhythm-Machine-i155705.music

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-04-2005).]

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149480 - 03/04/05 12:18 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
ocomain Offline

Some obvious differences between the Boss DR-3 and the new Zoom machine are:

The Zoom unit has more drum kits: 127 (70 Preset, 57 User), compared to 100 for the DR-3 (50 Preset, 50 User)

The Zoom has more drum sounds: 213, compared to 120 for the DR-3

The DR-3 has more overall patterns: 800, compared to 511 for the Zoom (440 Preset, 71 User...the Zoom manual lists 16 Intros and 10 Endings but no Fills, so am unsure if these are included in the overall pattern total)

The Zoom has better polyphony: 18, compared to 12 on the DR-3

The Boss has slighty better Tempo settings: 20-260 bpm, compared to the Zoom's 40-250 bpm

The Zoom has more extensive FX capabilities, offering real Reverb algorithms like Hall, Room, Spring, Plate...compared to the more subtle Ambient algorithms of the DR-3. The Zoom also offers additional fx like Delay, Chorus, Flanger (all with Tempo Sync). The Zoom allows saving of 80 User Patches total (40 for Compressor\EQ, 40 for Reverb\Delay\Chorus\Flanger). The DR-3 only offers a total of 16 User fx settings (8 for Compressr\EQ, 8 for Ambience)

The Zoom has an Input jack (1/4) that allows connection of an external sound source

The DR-3 has both 1/4 and RCA (Phono) Outputs

You can use 2 separate footswitches for controlling the DR-3 (by using a stereo cable adapter), the Zoom manual only mentions use of a single footswitch

The Zoom offers better battery life: 8 hours, compared to 5 hours on the DR-3. The Zoom uses 4 AA batteries, compared to 6 AA batteries (or a 9 Volt adapter) on the DR-3

Personally, I do prefer the Style motif used by the DR-3 (having used arranger keyboards and the Boss Jamstation), as well as the Variation\Auto Mode functions. I also like its simple but effective interface. Others may prefer the standard Zoom interface better. Ideally, I would really like a drum machine that combined the best features of both units (isn't that usually the case?)!

There are definitely other differences that could be gleaned by reading both manuals and demoing the machines. It would definitely make for an interesting gear shoot-out! Hope this helps!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 03-04-2005).]

#149481 - 03/04/05 12:34 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Ocomain,
You make some good points there with the comparison of the two. I think the Boss is a good machine for what it does. Ok the kicker here! I might actually trade out here. I was messing around today with the Boss for a bit, and there are some limitations that bother me now. First each preset style has 3 varitions, 3 fills, intro, and ending. Also the maximum pattern length is only 4 measures in the mains and only 1 measure on the fills. This set up will (in my opinion) cause some serious limitations when programing bass parts. If you want to get a good number of chord changes in, you have to take a 4 bar main and split that. Meaning you can get two chord changes per variation, but they can only be 2 measures each.

My Zoom MRT-3 allows you to create as many variations of one pattern as you like beyond 4 measures, and your fills can be more than one measure as well.

This new Zoom has a cool recording feature where you use basic math to program pattern tracks. I think they calle it F.A.S.T. At one time I was going to buy a Zoom RT-123, but felt it lacked a few things. It seems that the 223 is a beefed up 123, but now with the features I felt the older model lacked. When I look at the specs I feel the Zoom is a better deal in terms of features and price. The Zoom only cost $179.00 and the Boss cost me $195.00 plus $15.00 for the adapter.

Hmmmmmmmmm Decisions! I do like the Boss, but the Zoom seems to be more bang for the buck at the moment.

Squeak

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149482 - 03/04/05 01:55 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
ocomain Offline

Squeak,

If you do end up trading over to the Zoom you won't be losing much and will definitely gain some decent features. I owned Zoom's first drum machine for several years and the newest model considerably and nicely expands upon the original. I just don't see how you can go too wrong! Hopefully, this transaction will go much smoother the second time around!

Michael

#149483 - 03/05/05 10:14 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
ocomain Offline

These links are for the person who couldn't find the Zoom websites:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/
http://www.samsontech.com/products/brandpage.cfm?brandID=4

Michael

#149484 - 03/23/05 03:01 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
Squeak,
Are you able to turn off the base line of the DR-3 and use only the drum sounds?

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#149485 - 03/23/05 04:41 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Tresor,
Oh yes, you can turn off the bass and just use drums, and you can even turn off the drums and just use bass too. I do remember reading several posts about other users not knowing how to do this. It's actually a very easy function to perform on the unit.

Squeak

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online