SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149469 - 03/03/05 01:01 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Boss/Roland drum machines sound great and are so easy to program your own beats on. Good choice Squeak !!!

#149470 - 03/03/05 07:50 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree Nigel that Boss/Roland make really good drum machines. Here's another really cool feature on the DR-3. It has a feature called "AUTO" What this does is the drum machine will automatically switch between variations so you can keep your fingers on your guitar or keyboard. Here's a good example: On the preset blues pattern, if you set it to AUTO it will not only switch throuhg drum variations, fills, ect. it will also go through a full blues progression with the bass track. It will do this for all the patterns, and you can edit it any way you choose (picking your own variation combos).

All the effects are also customizable and there's room for user settings, and you get a 3 band EQ. I'm having a blast with this thing.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149471 - 03/03/05 09:08 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The DR-3 can receive MIDI data but not output MIDI data?
Starkeeper

#149472 - 03/03/05 09:25 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper, that answer is yes.. The DR-3 has a midi in jack. Some more expensive models have midi in, out, and thru.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149473 - 03/03/05 10:31 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Bummer.
Starkeeper

#149474 - 03/03/05 01:02 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper,
With all the features this drum machine has I really consider it very minor that it doesn't have a midi out. I first look at what all a unit will do first, then compare it against its shortcomings, and then base all that on the price I paid for the equimpment..., when I do that with this unit... well again I think it speaks for itself. Great bang for the buck for $200. I also see Zoom's coming out with a new one in a week or two for $179 that has drum and bass sounds (new screen) and I think effects.

Squeak

#149475 - 03/03/05 11:32 PM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Glad you have a new toy Squeak, i hope you enjoy it for years to come.

#149476 - 03/04/05 06:42 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
So Squeak (or anyone), how does the DR-3 match up with the Zoom (?ZRT3?). I still think the Alesis SR-16 is an ideal drum machine too, how would you compare them?

Sometimes drum machines are just a better alternative than an arranger keyboard? It's another tool in the bag.

#149477 - 03/04/05 07:49 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What new Zoom model is coming out? Have a link? I can't even find Zoom's website. Pretty bad when you google a company and can't even find their website.

#149478 - 03/04/05 08:45 AM Re: Got My New Drum Machine Today!!!! Boss DR-3 (Holy Crap!)
squeak_D Offline

Cassp, I'm assuming you mean the Zoom MRT-3. I actually have both models. The Zoom MRT-3 is a good drum machine. It has good quality samples, with large pads. The set backs to it are absolutely no effects, The kits even though sounding good, can be a bit dry do to lack of effects. The patterns cannot be performed in the mannor as they are on the DR-3 (meaning triggering pattern variations and fills like on an arranger keyboard). Display is baisc LED, and can get confusing when chaining patterns if you don't play close attention to pattern location.

I've played the Alesis, and I think it's pretty good drum machine, but as many have stated in the reviews the drum sounds are a bit dated and reverb on several kits is too harsh. In my opinion in terms of sound quality and ease of use the Boss DR-3 is much easier to use and program.

I think drum machines make a great addition to any keyboard. Here's why....., A keyboard workstation is designed to do all areas which means it can lack in others while excelling in some. With a drum machine and bass machine, you get a unit designed specifically for that alone, and they're typically designed well, and the preset styles are typically quite good.

SemiLiveMusic, I can't recall the exact new model number of this Zoom. From what I saw it was an improved version of the RT-123. I'll find it and post the link for you.

Squeak

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online