SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149345 - 12/08/01 05:05 AM PSR2000 Reg Memory Bank: Storing Voice (instrument setups) !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
One way I like to utilize the PSR2000’s ‘Registration Memory Bank (1-8)’ feature is for storing custom voice setups (main, layer, left ) which can then be used with an endless number of styles (both internal & loaded from floppy). This provides 8 more voice set ups to choose from (in addition to the 4 OTS settings stored with the style itself) when playing any given style.

I created 6 different Registration Memory Bank custom voice (instrument) setups:

Jazz Combo
Contemporary Pop
Big Band
Country
Party
Classic Pop/Rock

Each of the above files contains 8 different custom voice setups tailored to a specific music genre.

The ‘main’ &’ layer’ voices are stored in the Registration Memory Contents: ‘voice’ section, while the ‘left’ voice is stored in its’ ‘style’ section. Thus, to store ONLY the panel voices (main, layer, left), you checkmark only the ‘voice’ and ‘style’ boxes in the Registration Memory Bank ‘contents’ window. The next thing to do is set the ‘Freeze’ parameters. Freeze ONLY the ‘style’ part. Now, load one of your customized Registration Bank voice setups such as ‘Jazz Combo’. Press one of the Registration Memory button (1-8) to select a voice setup, then press the Registration Memory ‘Freeze’ button. Now you can select any number of internal styles or styles from floppy and have a total of 12 custom voice setups to quickly choose from.

This all sounds great, right? Well, almost. Unfortunately, there is one serious limitation for players (like me), who play in split mode (fingered: full chord) with both ‘main’ and ‘left’ voice sounds ‘on’ and want to switch between individual registration memory setups (buttons 1-8) which have different ‘left’ voice assignments. Because Yamaha chose (for some unexplainable reason) to store the ‘left’ voice in its’ registration memory content’s ‘style’ section instead of ‘voice’ section (where the main & layer parts are located), it prevents you from being able to change the ‘left’ voice without effectively changing the style too. Yuck!! I hope (in the next PSR2000 OS update) that Yamaha will amend its’ Registration Memory feature so that the ‘left’ voice part is saved in its’ Registration Memory Content’s ‘voice’ section instead of ‘style’ section. This would allow you to then select different Registration Memory setups (buttons 1-8) each having different ‘left’ voice assignments, and not have the style change un-expectantly. This would be possible because you could now store ‘all’ the panel voices (main, layer, left) in the Registration Memory Content’s: ‘voice’ section, so would no longer have to store or freeze the ‘style’ type in Registration Memory.

I hope I was able to explain myself clearly here. I would really appreciate feedback from others on this.

Thanks,

- Scott
http://scottyee.com

#149346 - 12/08/01 05:25 AM Re: PSR2000 Reg Memory Bank: Storing Voice (instrument setups) !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very Good Scott.
Categorizing by genre is a great idea. My first attempts at saving registrations and then saving the banks worked pretty well... but when I started scanning my playlist, I found the combinations I so meticulously worked on were not as practical in application as they were on paper.

I am being careful not to load up the user memory with too much data, so for the time being I am saving the banks in both User and on Floppy thinking I may have to empty out the User memory later.

I have another big question about registrations ...but, like I said, I have to take a couple of days off and go to work to pay for the 2000.

cya when I get back.

#149347 - 12/08/01 08:47 AM Re: PSR2000 Reg Memory Bank: Storing Voice (instrument setups) !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, I did mine slightly differently. I went ahead and stored a full registration in each of the 8 memories. Then in the Freeze Parameters, I "froze" everything except the sounds. Of course I put a different sound setup in each of the 8 locations. Now, when the freeze light is on, selecting the registrations changes only the voice. When the lights is off, I have 8 complete setups.
In effect, this gets double use from the registrations.
Regarding your problem with the left hand sounds, you might adjust this method so that calling up, say, reg. #1 would open a 6/8 ballad style with left hand piano, and two right hand sounds. Then hit the freeze button and you could change to any of the other 7 sounds for right hand. You might play with this idea to see if it helps.
DonM

#149348 - 12/08/01 09:54 AM Re: PSR2000 Reg Memory Bank: Storing Voice (instrument setups) !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
DonM: Yep, you pointed out another great way to set up the Registration Memory Bank. Unfortunately this doesn't solve my 'left' voice problem. It's important to remember that both the 'left' voice and the 'style' settings are stored together in the Registration Memory content's 'style' area. This means that if you freeze the 'style' parameter, you end up freezing the 'left' voice as well. I want to be able to freeze the style, but allow the left voice to change when pressing the various memory buttons. Unfortunately this cannot be accomplished until Yamaha decides to store the Registration Memory Bank contents 'left' voice setting in the 'voice' section (where both main & layer settings are located). I guess until then, I'll just have to continue selecting the 'left' voice manually.

Some GOOD news! I just recently discovered that you can 'pre-select' a specific voice (sound) for each of the 14 VOICE banks and the PSR2000 will remember all of the sound selections you made by going back and just pressing the associated sound bank button only. These settings are retained until you either select another sound OR until the keyboard is turned off.

#149349 - 12/08/01 03:47 PM Re: PSR2000 Reg Memory Bank: Storing Voice (instrument setups) !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, the last few PSR's "remembered" the last voice selected from a voice group.
I'm not sure how using the OTS settings affect this. Have to check it out.
DonM

#149350 - 12/10/01 09:51 AM Re: PSR2000 Reg Memory Bank: Storing Voice (instrument setups) !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
I have gravitated to using a method similar to Don's. This weekend, I used that method to set up two Waltz registrations, one for slow waltzes and one for fast waltzes. With a different style in each registration, that makes 8 available for both slow and fast settings -- that handles all the 2000 has internally plus room for one or two stored in the user area. I put the styles in from lowest suggested tempo to highest; styles on the "fast" version ranged from 150-200 something. I then noted the main voices available in each style and made sure the voice saved in the registration provided a fifth option. I also made sure each of the 8 registration voices were different instruments. Thus, there were always 12 solo instruments available for each style. In the registraton button, I set the left hand to the instrument I preferred, usually a grand piano, but sometimes nylon guitar, or strings. The OTS presets include a left hand voice (although usually it is not "on"). If you want a different left hand, put it in the registration button. Now when you press that button to call up the style, you can freeze the style then (thus locking in your selected left hand), or select one of the OTS for this style and then freeze it. This would lock in the preset left hand indicated in the style. Both of these registrations are stored in user memory (and, of course, also stored on a floppy as backup). If any of the stored registrations refer to a style that is not a preset style, then it has to be available in user memory -- which, as we are all learning, is really a limited commodity. So discretion may be necessary in selecting styles that are not preset. This may not be as limiting as you might suppose. If there is a preset that is OK, but you don't like this or that instrument, you can adjust as you want and then save that "adjusted" preset style in the registration button. Then when you call up that preset style, it will be loaded along with all your modifications.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online