SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149267 - 01/09/00 03:05 PM Different HD for X1
Marc Bischoff Offline

Loc: Rotterdam, NL
Hi!

I remember that there was a question in the old forum if it is possible to put a different Hard disk into the X1 than the one from Solton.
I Think somebody gave even a complete instruction how o do that.

Did anybody do that so far, or do I have to buy the (expencive) hard disk from Solton?
Are the contents of the HD (styles, Sound banks) really worth the price?

Appreciate your comments!

Marc

#149268 - 01/09/00 07:03 PM Re: Different HD for X1
DannyUK Offline

HI,

Yea it was me. But this was only because when I first got my X1 it was faulty 2 times before I got one that actually worked, and the problem on one of them was the HD was not responding. And because this was my second exchange, I was really annoyed and wanted to fix it myself by buying a HD myself. And I tell you what, it was a saving grace then all attempts to get the HD failed otherwise I would of been lumbered with an extra HD because they replaced my X1 after 2 days anyway! (see what could of happened if you are impatient!).

But back to the point, I think its worth getting the proper Solton HD from a dealer as not only will it be so easy to fit, the extra software is excellent (i make more use of some styles from the HD than the preset ones as theres a standard of over 400 to choose from at least!). If you get it from a very generous dealer (George Kaye comes to mind immediately), he would possible even put some extras on the HD just for you! I know I would if I was a dealer, I would like to think my customers were not only getting the best deal but also giving them something more than what any other dealer would give, and then everybody is satisfied!

At the time of my post in the old forum about this precise problem, I did receive instructions on how to set up a 3rd party HD, and I tell you it seemed a hassle, too much hassle because you have to ensure the cable which plugs in both to the HD and the keyboard match from pin to pin, and believe me theres many! There was talk of cutting to size and making sure then right pins were connected to ensure no malfuntion was experienced, eg, lockups or even blowing a fuse. I thought YUCK!

Save the hassle, get it from someone who knows about these things.

Danny (UK)

#149269 - 01/09/00 07:09 PM Re: Different HD for X1
DannyUK Offline

Apologies for missing out Uncle Dave as well as a Solton Dealer, I am sure he is just as generous as well. Its thanks to this man that I have my X1, (giving me a Demo) otherwise I would still be here wondering what it was all about. Cheers Dave.

Danny (UK)

#149270 - 01/09/00 07:34 PM Re: Different HD for X1
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Hey guys,
I have a customer who installed his own drive many months ago and has sent documentation to those interested. Here is my only problem with the installation.....
He has velcro'd the hard drive on top of the floppy drive because it was going to be too much work trying to put the hard drive under the keyboard where Solton mounts their drive. I'm sure it's OK to put it where Eric put his, but if you move around alot, I would think at some point it might come loose. Do you already own an X1 without the hard drive? If you are looking to buy just a hard drive, I don't think there is any way to custom load for you all my extra files, because there is no digital interface to externally load into a seperate drive. If you don't already have an X1 and wish to purchase one with the HD, please contact me.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#149271 - 01/10/00 01:45 AM Re: Different HD for X1
Marc Bischoff Offline

Thanks for the replies.

I was guessing already that it will be a big hazzle to get a 3rd party HD mounted, but I was just wondering if there are musicians out there who have succesfuly done it.

I think that for me a Solton HD is also the best option.
George, what a pitty, but I already have a X1 without HD. So I will have to get the original HD without any extras.
Is there a way to maybe send some stuff of the HD over the Internet, or would that be a very difficuilt and (most of all) illegal act?

Marc

#149272 - 01/10/00 07:18 AM Re: Different HD for X1
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Mark,
If you are going to add the hardrive to your keyboard and you want to put it in the right place (where the factory puts their's) I would strongly urge you to seek a service and repair center to install it. There will be directions in the box, but if you are not comfortable with removing the keyboard yourself once inside the unit, you should have someone qualified do it.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#149273 - 01/10/00 10:10 AM Re: Different HD for X1
DannyUK Offline

HI all!

Just to add something. I myself have managed to undo an X1 down to the point of where the HD goes to, and I dont think its that hard at all. The hardest part of the process is to remove the keys from the bottom panel, but if you are careful its OK. True, there are a lot of components that needs to be removed to get to the HD, but its not as bad as I first thought. When you get to the HD location, I think its easy to place one in (much easier than to take it out I think).

George, that was strange what you said about one of your customers having a HD where his FD is. Does this not rattle or even seem unstable there and also is it not too close to the right speaker for comfort? Also, When I was inside the X1, I didnt think the cable from the HD was long enough to go anywhere but where its supposed to go.

I think solton could of placed the HD in a better position, but I can see why they have placed it under the keys because of the magnets from he speakers, it has to be as far apart as possible, and being bang in the middle down the bottom is the best place I guess.

Danny (UK)
Danny (UK)

#149274 - 01/12/00 12:30 AM Re: Different HD for X1
Marc Bischoff Offline

I don't think I am going to install the Hd myself.
I am not so scary with those things normally, but I don't want to risk my garanty, and for couple of dollars they do it for me.
Thanks for the advice!

Marc

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online