SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14921 - 09/29/03 12:34 AM Genesys pro!!
mrquiteright Offline

Loc: Durham, NC. USA
Hi Pals!! I am new in your forum and try to get some help from y'all. I used to play in a band till 1999 and then stopped. I've been playing WK4 since 1997 and loved it. Now going to reunite my band (No drummer) and going to buy me a Genesys Pro which I think, suitable for the band formation I was planning to form.{Me as a keyboardist (All rythm would be generated by Genesys)and two guitarists)}..
I never played this instrument but read about it on its website.All I need to ask is How this keyboard would play in this kind of formation, Would it be worthwhile?
Seniors!! help me Out...
Thanks In Advance...
Khalid

#14922 - 09/29/03 11:28 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I would think it will be perfect in this formation. Many styles contain one track of guitar strumming. You can very easily take it out with one of the sliders. In my humble opinion, other than the weight, Genesys can be the best keyboard for performance.

#14923 - 09/29/03 11:41 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
mrquiteright Offline

Thanks sk880user!!
Now, what do you think about the price of this Instrument,,, their website is quoting $5199..

#14924 - 09/29/03 12:44 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
sk880user Offline

It is about $3000

#14925 - 09/29/03 11:50 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
mrquiteright Offline

Dear sk880user
Like I told you above about the band setup...
I am going to order this genesys pro but before that, I wanted to ask that what is this SCSI Interface and how It can Help Me,,, and Another question is they are giving me 2GB Hard drive.. will that be Enough or is it ussually enough..
You know... I am new .. :0)
Thanks Again
MQR

#14926 - 09/30/03 09:01 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
sk880user Offline

Well,

Concerning the first question, It allows you to connect external scsi devices such as external scsi iomega (zip and jazz) drives, external cd-writers and possibly external harddrives (this point needs to be researched). Clearly, one might not need it as much since it already comes with internal cd writer. Now, if one can connect directly to external scsi harddrives and if one can record songs from Genesys to the external harddrive directly, this will solve the limitation of 2GB of the harddrive.

2GB is enough to store midi songs, styles, and sounds.

But it is not enough to store complete audio songs. In my humble opinion, one needs at least 20gigs. But the point of GEM is that one can write these into the cd-writer and they have good point.

When one wants to use the audio recorder on the genesys, it is not to do professional recording but quick audio recording which can be transferred later to audio recording station or eventually be burned on a cd. Therefore, the limitation is not that big of a deal. For me it will work wonders and will save me lot of effort.

I, for one, record professionally but also find myself recording quick demos to be performed at churches. Genesys would save me a lot of work.

My only objection about Genesys is its weight. But hey, my sk880 is heavier but it works great in the studio. And sk880 has 88 weighted action. Genesys 88 maybe the replacement of sk880.

#14927 - 09/30/03 10:17 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Hi SK & Mr

I have the Genesys not the pro but have been totally pleased with it so far. The Pro does not have the built in speakers so it weighs quite a bit less and cost less too! So far the Genesys has been totally reliable. I also beleive the Pro has a larger hard disk.(3Gig?) Storage problem is not an issue when you can load CD's for a lot of the files you may need so I don't really see the need for the Scsi interface except if you already happen to own a Scsi external hard drive or Zip. The loading is relativly fast as well.

The sliders make all the difference in the world. I would give the thumbs up to the Genesys in a heartbeat. The only downside is there are too few of us at the moment to share a lot of info, however I really believe that will change

I'm sure Mr Paul Davis could be a big help with any questions you may ask, he is a straight shooter.

Jerry

#14928 - 09/30/03 10:18 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
Mainer Offline

Hi SK & Mr

I have the Genesys not the pro but have been totally pleased with it so far. The Pro does not have the built in speakers so it weighs quite a bit less and cost less too! So far the Genesys has been totally reliable. I also beleive the Pro has a larger hard disk.(3Gig?) Storage problem is not an issue when you can load CD's for a lot of the files you may need so I don't really see the need for the Scsi interface except if you already happen to own a Scsi external hard drive or Zip. The loading is relativly fast as well.

The sliders make all the difference in the world. I would give the thumbs up to the Genesys in a heartbeat. The only downside is there are too few of us at the moment to share a lot of info, however I really believe that will change

I'm sure Mr Paul Davis could be a big help with any questions you may ask, he is a straight shooter.

Jerry

#14929 - 09/30/03 01:44 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
sk880user Offline

Mainer,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I know that I need to get Genesys one of these days. But I need something to replace the 88 keys keyboard. So maybe Genesys88

I also need ultra-light 61 keyboard as well for performance only.

#14930 - 09/30/03 02:21 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
Mainer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Mainer,

I know that I need to get Genesys one of these days. But I need something to replace the 88 keys keyboard. So maybe Genesys88

Use your SK880 as a controler - you could have the best of both worlds - The 88 key Genesys will be available only in a console type piano is my understanding but it should be a beauty. The Genesys pro is lighter and has a wonderful non weighted key feel great for organ work - You have half the Ideal setup allready.

Jerry

#14931 - 09/30/03 02:40 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
Mainer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Mainer,

Use your SK880 as a controler - you could have the best of both worlds - The 88 key Genesys will be available only in a console type piano is my understanding but it should be a beauty. The Genesys pro is lighter and has a wonderful non weighted key feel great for organ work - You have half the Ideal setup allready.

Jerry

#14932 - 09/30/03 03:25 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
sk880user Offline

Jerry,

That will not work for me. If I really need to use it like this, I would rather invest in sound module. Most of the features that makes Genesys the ultimate studio keyboard are already in sk880. So I do not need a second heavy keyboard. I need a lighter keyboard and a heavy duty one to replace Sk880. But to tell you honesty, SK880 is a wonderful keyboard. I will not even trade it even if I get Genesys88.

#14933 - 10/01/03 11:22 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
The genesys PRO comes with a 4 gig hard drive. I would not suggest the scsi interface, as it is un-needed, , as you have an internal CD-Burning for backup and data storage, both input and output.

------------------
Paul Davis
Generalmusic
Generalmusic.US

#14934 - 10/02/03 12:55 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
mrquiteright Offline

I thank sk880user,Mainer and PaulD to help me out..... finally, I bought Genesys Pro Yeasterday and now waiting on its arrival...
Y'all been so helpful and I hope you'll be helping me In the future too..
Thanks Again...

#14935 - 10/02/03 08:09 AM Re: Genesys pro!!
sk880user Offline

Congratulations.

Paul,

General Music should pay me some commission (just/kidding)

#14936 - 10/04/03 07:11 PM Re: Genesys pro!!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Thanks SK880user...

Congratulations mmrquiteright on the purchase of your genesys PRO, I am sure you will love the instrument. I would be curious where you bought the instrument and how that experience was, etc.

------------------
Paul Davis
Generalmusic
Generalmusic.US

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online