Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149103 - 01/04/05 03:29 PM Re: OT - Bad news for me
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Dear Tom.

I want to tell you, my experience.
Past August , during a complete test for a hernia surgery , the PSA level reached 4.2.
My son Dr. Daniel conducted me to an Urologist that recommended a radical prostatetomy (made in August, 16).
Today I am glad to say that the problem was
solved.
No chemio and radioterapy was necessary.
Today my PSA level is 0,001.
Past September I made the second surgery (hernia)with 100% of success.
I think that you will pass through a hard way, but I am sure that you, as me, will be victorious.

Cheers and best regards
Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 01-04-2005).]

#149104 - 01/04/05 03:57 PM Re: OT - Bad news for me
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Tom,

So sorry to learn about your illness, but the good news is it has a high survival rate when diagnosed before spreading outside of the prostate gland which seems to be true in your case. I happened to read a bit at http://www.prostate-cancer-institute.com/index.html . I know anybody can find it, but thought it wouldn't hurt to include that anyway.

I wish you best of luck and strength to make it through.

Shiral

#149105 - 01/04/05 06:07 PM Re: OT - Bad news for me
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Tom,
So sorry to hear that your tests came back unfavourable.

Keep positive, and just like last time you will come out the other end smiling.

Remember that through it all there are HUNDREDS of synthzoners, all over the world who are sincerely wishing you nothing but the best.

Very best wishes
Tony

#149106 - 01/04/05 06:41 PM Re: OT - Bad news for me
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Tom,

We're all with ya man. Be strong, be positive, and be determined to kick this thing.

We are all facing a similar situation.

To all you men out there, get your PSA checked, get a digital exam, check your blood pressure and cholestrol, and get that colonoscopy. Don't be thick-headed, just do it!!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#149107 - 01/04/05 08:04 PM Re: OT - Bad news for me
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
God bless you Tom....... you're not in this alone. My prayers are with you and your family.

#149108 - 01/04/05 11:55 PM Re: OT - Bad news for me
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I am so sorry to hear this Tom. I really hope that surgery can clear up this problem for you. At 53 you are still a relatively young guy and able to overcome the treatment that is required to beat this. All the best and keep that good attitude to life that you have always had.

Cheers,
Nigel

#149109 - 01/05/05 07:25 AM Re: OT - Bad news for me
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Thanks everyone. I finally talked to my doctor last night (after a very encouraging conversation on the phone with Gary Diamond). He said not all the samples had cancer cells in them and that it was a low grade cancer at this point. For those of you who know about the Gleason index I was a six. I'm not really worried about my long term survival. Removal of my prostate should give me at least 10 years and by then if there should be a problem I'm sure science and modern medicine will have some more treatments and options available. I'm just not looking forward to the surgery's side effects.

In an effort to maintain confidentially I won't name names but I did talk on the phone to a forum member who had the same procedure done. I want to thank him for the call and encouagement. Thank you also to the members who emailed me. Again thanks to all the members for their concern and encouragement.

Tom

Tom

#149110 - 01/05/05 07:49 AM Re: OT - Bad news for me
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Tom ... So sorry to hear the news ... Like some others here I faced the same situation, with a Gleason score of 6 as well ... The biopsy showed a few samples to be 3% malignant ... In 2003, at 62 yrs of age I opted for the radical surgery, especially when I was told that if I tried the radiation there would be 2 concerns: 1) I would have to stay away from young children for 4 - 6 months due to the possibility of exposure - with 4 grandchildren under the age of 5 at the time that was NOT an option; 2) should the cancer come back there would be no option of surgery as the radiation would turn the prostate to "mush" ...
I have heard of the micro-surgery being done at some hospitals now, including Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC, where I had my surgery. This procedure was not being performed there at the time ... I hear the results regarding 'side effects' are MUCH better ... Good for you, and others to follow ...
BTW, my last PSA in Dec. was 0.05, or as they say "undetectable".
Do the 'Kegel' exercises (even before the surgery), go in with a positive attitude, and may the Good Lord Bless you as he has me ...
t.
PS ... I expect to be around a LOT longer than 10 years!!!
t.

#149111 - 01/05/05 08:35 AM Re: OT - Bad news for me
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Tom...you are in my thoughts.
We're ALL in your corner.

------------------
...L

#149112 - 01/05/05 08:41 AM Re: OT - Bad news for me
Dnj Offline

Tom....Good Luck I know you'll get thru this & recover nicely....I'm pullin for ya ......

God Bless

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online