SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#148863 - 11/01/06 10:39 AM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Folks I'm very grateful to all of you. Am thinking about purchasing a Bose system. I get all the pros and cons from everyone. It will certainly help me to make an educated/well informed decision one way or the other. To quote one of the clothing stores, " An educated consumer is our best customer."

#148864 - 11/01/06 10:56 AM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can buy one from Bose and return it at no cost if you don't like it.
Be careful, because most of the music store employees don't even know how to hook it up.
DonM

#148865 - 11/01/06 12:24 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
Dnj Offline

#148866 - 11/01/06 01:26 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

I have a Motionsound KP-100. I keep it in my van for emergencies. I would never use it on the job, and from my experience it's probably the worst sounding amp I've ever used. And, when you look at the internal workings of the KP-100, all of the component parts would not cost $100 retail, and that includes the speakers. It's probably the most overrated, overpriced amp I've come across, and if I would not have been able to garner it at the price I paid, I would have never purchased it. It has never been out of the van, mainly because I have yet to experience a system failure with the Bose or Logitech.

As for stereo, I've said it all before--no one other than those individuals situated within an equalteral triangle of the speakers benefit from stereo--no one. Those situated outside the triangle are subject to an overpowering of the left or right speakers. I want everyone in my audience to hear everything coming from the keyboard. Whether or not I hear stereo is irrelevant.

The best advice I have for anyone that wishes to purchase any sound system is to allow both their audiences and themselves be the judge of the system's performance. And, similar to Don, I hope no else purchases a Bose L1. Buy a Peavey, Macky, anything--just don't buy a Bose--I need the money!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#148867 - 11/01/06 01:54 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
As they say at McDonald's..."I'm lovin' it."

After clicking on the site DNJ posted of "reviews" of the Bose L1, not one of the posters on the first page ever owned one. They just like to trash the concept (as they perceive it), the price, or Bose in general.

The stereo vs. mono discussions will go on ad nauseum. All I can tell you is I never had such rave reviews on the system from the folks that really matter: the audiences and people who hire me.

As for cost, the Bose L1 cost only a fraction of the total I have spent on other conventional systems over the years.

Am I predjudiced because I own it? Probably.
Do I want to see all musicians and entertainers get one? Absolutely not!

But, it does bother me to hear negative reviews from people who have never used one or taken the time to learn how to use it correctly. It's kinda like watching those political ads. Everyone says they hate negative ads...but statistics show they work.

Bottom line: Don't buy a Bose L1. It will raise your taxes and cut Social Security.

Eddie

#148868 - 11/01/06 01:55 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
Dnj Offline

#148869 - 11/01/06 02:01 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
http://www.basslinks.nl/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=4733

some different Bose reviews

Donnie, go back and read the ones YOU gave when you owned one.
DonM

#148870 - 11/01/06 03:27 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My 2 cents...maybe $2 worth of opinion..

First Eddie that is how I feel about opinions on the G1000[Roland]..I hear more negatives from people[some even owned one], that don't have a clue what the board is capable of...but that's another story[ and it has nothing to do with "mine is better then yours"....]

Gary of course you are correct about the sweet spot in stereo...but there is another consideration with stereo..The proper panning , allocation of instruments...as they would be on a stage..helps the listener to think of a band on stage..

Panning of instruments can be heard in most rooms..As an example with spacing of the speakers at 10 feet..you can get the feeling of a real drummer with cymbals and toms in different locations..You can hear movement of a drum kit..no matter where you sit..The only time the sweet spot comes into play are stereo effects that need balancing..I think it is less critical with Roland and Ketron compared to Yamaha and Korg..

The only time stereo is a no no to me , is when you need coverage in a wide audience as in the average "Boardwalk" job..

As for the Bose, I have always thought they sound great..I have heard them in low volumes[great] and normal room levels[also great]..What I may not be sure of,[and I have not experienced this yet]..is when you need to push for high energy and volume...I am not just talking about a lounge act volume..

I don't think the Bose can match up to my Yorkville system when it comes to dance music..I still think you have to move air to be effective..

Gary the Bose sub may be adequate in most situations, but they don't cut it in a big venue..not even a pair of the subs..You will not get that in your chest bass out of them, and I don't think the system was ever intended for "dance" music..

Well that is my $1.95 worth...I am holding back 5 cents for rebuttal time...

#148871 - 11/01/06 03:37 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
Dnj Offline

Don I loved it for a while...but usually after about 50 gigs things start to change as did with the PAS for me....I was missing something in my sound which was the Stereo separation & versatility that two speakers & sometimes 3 w/sub give me, plus I could sense that the Audience was NOT FEELING THE MUSIC due to the lack of AIR NOT Being pushed....carrying 4 pcs of speaker gear just for the PAS +
w/ covers plus everything else was another bothersome thing day after day....so you see Don things change in life even with musicians & the PAS is no different.......just offering my personal experience.....people can make their own choices I know I made mine & I'm happy I did!

Anyone Agree on this?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-01-2006).]

#148872 - 11/01/06 03:59 PM Re: I just bought the Bose PAS... What a waste of time!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I do, but I doubt you will get any "Amens"..

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online