SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#148814 - 03/21/06 09:38 AM Advice for the young folks.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Usually I try to pass along musical information and tricks I've learned through the years.
This is much more important.
40 years ago I was a life-guard in college. I spent the summers nearly naked, fishing, playing tennis, etc. Deep, nice, dark tan.
Through the years this continued, golf in shorts, fishing, swimming, water skiing, etc.
Now I'm paying the price. Every few months I must have places frozen (really burned) off my skin--hands, arms, legs.
This time it was worse, a Squamous Cell carcinoma. This thing came up on my leg a couple of weeks ago and looked sort of like a nasty boil, except it didn't get better.
Today the doctor "scooped it out", in his words.
The good news is he believes we got it early enough so that there will be nothing more necessary. He will send it off for examination, and we will watch it closely to see if it comes back.
O.K., not a big deal, but still, it is surgery, a nuisance, and it is starting to hurt as the anesthesia wears off. and IT IS NOT NECESSARY, if you are still young enough to cover up and/or wear sunscreen when you go out in the sun.
Believe me thirty years passes in a heartbeat. Take the advice of an old pro.
DonM

#148815 - 03/21/06 09:49 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don . sorry to hear about your problem ... hope you are feeling better ... and yes, skin cancer has to be a MAJOR concern, especially today, with not as much 'natural filtration' available ...
t.

#148816 - 03/21/06 09:54 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Sorry to hear about that Don. But I doubt you'll do any good. Maybe it will but I doubt it. Youth does not listen to what is good for them. We didn't, they won't.

Like smoking... I dunno, I haven't done any scientific poll but I swear, it's as many or more young people smoking now than ever.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#148817 - 03/21/06 10:08 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
Dnj Offline

Don.......goood that you took care of it asap as we need ya around to play music and make people happy!!!

#148818 - 03/21/06 10:16 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don, I've had a spot on my neck just under the jaw bone. For years I've asked the Doctor about it. He looks real fast and says it's the wrong color.

Two months ago I felt a little scab like thing on my head near the front. He looked at it real fast like he always looked at the other mark on my neck and immediately he says we need to get that off of there.

He dipped a long stick with what looked like a piece of cotton on it into what he said was nitro something or other. It burned just a teeny bit when he held it on the spot for a minute or two it seemed, but nothing to fret over. He said it would fall off in about 10 days and it did almost to the 10th day.

If you guys have something similar that you notice, get it looked at immediately. It was nothing like Don's minor surgery. It didn't hurt at all.

#148819 - 03/21/06 10:25 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, I had 7 spots frozen off today in addition to the cutting. Instead of the cotton, this Dr. uses a little gun that applies the stuff.
I've probably had it done 20 times over the past 5 years.
DonM

#148820 - 03/21/06 11:03 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Don:

I wish you the best, several of my friends have had this procedure done in the past couple of years, all are doing well. Glad to hear the positive news from the doctor.

#148821 - 03/21/06 11:11 AM Re: Advice for the young folks.
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Don, thanks for the advice, and get well soon

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#148822 - 03/21/06 12:03 PM Re: Advice for the young folks.
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Don, sending good thoughts your way.

chas

#148823 - 03/21/06 01:21 PM Re: Advice for the young folks.
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
In Australia rickets is starting to show up because some people have gone overboard in covering up their children.So there has to be a sensible approach.
Although I have a dark olive skin and tan easily I have always watched the amount of exposure to the sun without going overboard.
However I do have things burnt off. I think it is part of old age.I am 72.

Cousin Ken

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online